The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm no radio expert so I thought I'd ask. Are these any good? Will they fit? They seem to be woofers/tweeters unless I'm horribly wrong haha

Infinity 5032cf 5-1/4" 2-way Reference Series Car Speakers

I'm looking to put these in the back.

if not, what do you recommend? I really want better sound, but don't want to cut anything in the dash because it isn't bare plastic anymore and I don't want to mess it up! I'm thinking of putting these in the back.

unless these are better to use?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I just installed 4 HELIX Blue series (german) from crutchfield they sound a lot better then the DB series polks I had in there (front polk woofer blew in 1 year) cant speak for Infinity car audio but I have a nice home theater set up with some...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I dont know either. I don't wanna dive into amps and sub boxes yet. Just want something that sounds somewhat decent. The fronts crackle and pop. At moderate volume. I wanna replace front and rear with stock sizes. I've seen Jbl, kicker, Infiniti, pioneer...:shrug: too many

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also were these easy to install. Lots of reviews say they weren't direct fit

·
Registered
639 Posts
4 inch goes up front, 5.25 inch for the rears. You can go bigger in the front with Jim C adapter rings, but you have to trim back the holes. Can be done with dash in car and dremel, but it is a little nerve wracking. Speakers make a good upgrade, but an amp is the way to go. Some of the Alpine PDX amps are small and pack a real punch. You can PM me for my number and I can give you more info. Chuck Risen also sells a phenomenal system for this car.

Later
Corvus

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JL Audio C2's
front and rear? and will they sound good without an amp and sub? also, can they be turned up decently loud?

as far as power, RMS is what you care about mostly right? the higher the RMS the more it can take?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I ran those up front in my old elise. they sound great but are not really plug and play, as the 4.5s are oversized. This was partly why I bought them as I didn't want to use the 5.25 spacers to make them fit.

I used the silly little factory blaupunkt trim rings as an adapter, to space it up just enough ,then used some car audio foam gasket tape to ensure a good feel and bent the mounting tabs up to meet the angle of the blaunpunkt trim rings. I know that doesn't make much sense but it would if you had them in front of you. Not terribly hard.

I think I may have had to sand some of the foam off too to get them magnets to fit (inside the dash panel the factory magnet cutout is tiny)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The helix speakers went in with no mods.. 45 minutes all 4 were in ... used to do car stereos too :cool:
it seems that the previous owner already has larger speakers up front...I don't know how to see what size they are though. Is there an easier way than pulling em out?

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
it seems that the previous owner already has larger speakers up front...I don't know how to see what size they are though. Is there an easier way than pulling em out?
Measuring tape??? :facepalm

·
Registered
663 Posts
infinity car speakers are solid performers..... some aren't a fan of their more on the bright side of sound but good stuff..... most in your price point will offer similar results

Always felt the best way to buy speakers is to listen to them. Some hate bright speakers... some hate soft speakers.....

If the fronts are crackling and popping then you need more power. You can't ask a amp/speaker combo to play louder then it can with its rated power...... just like you can't ask a 190hp toyota motor to make 300hp...... unless its upgraded. If you want descent listening volume then your best bet is to add a amp. You do not have to go crazy with the amp but you do kinda get what you pay for.

A simple/cheaper way to go is to add Alpines power pack. Much better vs the stock decks amp however nowhere close to what a better amp can do. The advantage to these power packs is it can be tucked behind the dash (if there is room) and doesn't require any new wires run to it..... It will give a noticeable improvement in max volume as well as SQ..... but like stated nowhere close to what a quality amp can do.

Much better to give speakers more power then they are rated for vs not much power especially in noisy cars :)

If speakers are blown within a year of being installed... more then likely they are being given a signal that is clipping

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Measuring tape??? :facepalm
yeah yeah yeah, I know I suck. I already used a measuring tape. But if it makes it better I was capable of fully removing the independent suspension from my Hummer H3 and fully modifying a D44 front axle to fit it including welding and fabricating a custom steering box. I hate electronics!!!!!!!!!!!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,170 Posts
Ok ok ok.

I'm all about upgrading the front speakers (again).

Back in 2006 I changed the crappy front stock units to a pair of Infinity References.

That was great back then... not so much now. Heat from the sun has melted a lot of the plastic mounting ring and has introduced a bunch of distortion.

I want to upgrade to 5.25" using Jim Clayton's speaker rings... BUT I want to make sure the new speakers use Neodymium magnets and are LIGHTWEIGHT. I really don't want to add that much more weight.

It seems that NONE of the online searches/sites list actual speaker weight. This infuriates me! :(

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok.... So if you can tell the difference in handling between neo magnets, conventional magnets and no speakers then you should be teaching formula 1 drivers how to drive.

Its a small speaker.... Going to be ounces if that difference. The reason speaker companies do not post that is because weight doesn't matter.

If there is distortion there is something else wrong, more then likely not from the sun. I have used speakers for well over 10 years in a car which was dash mounted in the sun..... Never a issue in sound.

If you want a light speaker go to parts express and look through there selection. Just find the speaker with the smallest magnet you can, might only cost you $10 or so for the speaker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts