The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Ought to be plenty out there, folks replace them with removable ones on track cars.

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Does the airbag work if you change the wheel?
Sure, I can't see why not, it is just an electric trigger system so plug and play. Unless someone has removed airbag entirely which is quite possible, but then it would make this a $200 wheel. BUT MAYBE I SPOKE TO SOON, I did find this an interesting read Intro

Well after a good search on the Net this might be a more complicated endeavor than I realized.

Has anyone changed the wheel on their Esprit here in North America ? If so pics and info much appreciated ;)

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Gun pilot recently said he had one.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f303/elise-steering-wheel-218297/

I paid 300 for mine, I have pix of final, it looks exactly like marc4sgr's

It's a walk in the park to replace, just be careful and don't rearrange (rotate) the turn signal canceling discs under the hub

Airbag cannot reasonably be removed, it's the center piece

As long as it's electrically connected and it's not a dud, it should work; kinda hard to confirm though. :D

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Yeah I sold mine for about $300, with airbag.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I got mine for $300 from another member here and bought the adapter also here from another member. Airbag wiring adapted and hopefully still functional.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
That eBay Elise wheel has a hub Not sure but it is probably not the right spline count or diameter for the Esprit stem. Hey Noob, Did you get new hub adapter because the Elise wheel hub is different from the Esprit spline or did your Elise wheel just not come with a hub?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
How much is the adapter?
It cost was like $300 for just the hub kit plus shipping but I think the person has stopped making them last year because of the minimum production run to make it worth while. I think he had 2-3 runs of 20 adapters each then stopped making them.

If the ebay wheel has the Esprit hub adapter it is not too much off the mark. Its a parts company so they are in it to make money. A person to person sale was something like $300 for the wheel and $300 for the hub adapter so $600 plus shipping. Does anyone know if the ebay wheel has the Esprit hub or is that an Elise hub in the picture?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes the airbag works.
The hub was made by a fellow Lotus talk owner.. look up the threads he may
have more available.
As for the wheel expect to pay 200-300 depending on the condition.
Easy as pie installation HUGE difference in the driving experience VS the stock wheel.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
How much is the adapter?
I got mine from a member here named Duneomatic who is local to me and had a batch fabricated. Came with all required parts, wires, electical connections and most of all a very detailed with illustrated drawings instructions. Did it all in less than 30 minutes. How much I dare not say so you will have to pm him. I don't know if his prices are still good or not. Love the wheel, it is smaller making it easier to get in and out of the car. The new look is amazing!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hey Noob, Did you get new hub adapter because the Elise wheel hub is different from the Esprit spline or did your Elise wheel just not come with a hub?
It did not come with the hub but you are also correct in that they are different.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts