The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching Exige selling prices and it seems that they are going up or at least stabilized. Is this my imagination or is a seasonal thing?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
It is seasonal, though with the exige and elise out of production for the United States, it is reasonable to expect there will be stabilization in prices for a while - they might generally go up as well, at least a bit.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
yes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good ones that have not been...

Trashed are very hard to find under $45K
They did not make a ton of them so they are getting rare. Prices of great cars is going up used because of inflation, gas, and the outrageous prices of new cars. Jock PS Mine is for sale

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also..

Years ago the price of a real Super 7 was very low. Now look at what they are. The Exige is a far better car also. Stand by.

·
Registered
24 Posts
agree. the rarity thing is a moot point. look at the esprits....less esprits were built in the 20-something year run, then elises. and the prices of them are still tanking.

the thing going for the elise/exige is the motor. more people are willing to shell money at something that (appears) to be cheaper in the long run.

it's spring/summer. im a long time porsche guy, and the 911's do this this time of year, as well. prices will be lower in the fall.

now that a lot of the exiges are past the first owner, expect the mileage to be going up. any way you shake it, mileage goes up, prices will go down on a car like this.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I think you guys are overly optimistic. Prices are pretty much the same as they were a year ago.

San
Then go buy one... Good luck. Far fewer for sale.

Supply and Demand 101.

The same goes for Elises, but to a lesser degree. When I bought mine used 3 years ago I never considered it as an investment. Now, I'm confident that I could sell it for for what I paid...

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Then go buy one... Good luck. Far fewer for sale.

Supply and Demand 101.

The same goes for Elises, but to a lesser degree. When I bought mine used 3 years ago I never considered it as an investment. Now, I'm confident that I could sell it for for what I paid...
I have an 07 Exige S.

Demand for a Lotus isn't any higher than it was last year. There is a very small niche market for these cars. Even Lotus knows there isn't much demand in the US.

Anyone who buys a car as an investment is usually going to lose money.

San

·
Registered
207 Posts
Although not Exige-specific, suggest you look at the results of a survey I just did on the Elise. Interesting results on purchase prices recent trends.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batimovil, I checked out your survey. Excellent job. Great info. It seems my observations were correct. At least from your survey it seems like the values have flattened out. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years when more miles are added on them.

On a side note, this might sound far fetched, but I think the introduction of the Alfa 4C might have an impact on selling price of the Exige/Elise in the future. Until now, there has not been a viable alternative but when the Alfa comes out there will be.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think what you have to keep in mind when judging the amount for sale currently, is again the season. People are not selling the cars they can currently drive due to the good weather.

Once the bad weather starts to show they will start picking back up, and lowering in price. As is usual.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't believe cars except for the very ultra rare ones will see dramatic increases in value. The best you can hope for is that it does that depreciate like a rock, that is why I didn't get a Corvette z06, within a year I would be upside down on my loan in the banks' eyes. All in all I bought my Lotus to drive it and God willing, keep it for a long time. It was an investment in fun factor not $$$ :)

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I have an 07 Exige S.

Demand for a Lotus isn't any higher than it was last year. There is a very small niche market for these cars. Even Lotus knows there isn't much demand in the US.

San
I tried to make the point that I don't believe in buying used cars as investments... But anytime a car holds value it's like driving for free (aside from maintenance, fuel, insurance, etc.).

However, I've watched the market daily/weekly for the last 4 years, (most recently to assist my son with an Exige purchase), and there are FAR fewer Exiges available now than this time last year. Furthermore, prices are at the very least holding value, which is not normal in any used market. I know first-hand of several noted Lotus dealers who are frustrated with the current lack of used Exige supply. (Just call them if you doubt.) Look also in LT WTB classifieds; at this very time there are at least three or four posters here looking for used Exiges in the without much luck.

Again, supply and demand always dictates long-term prices.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Long term, I think Exiges/Elises will follow the same pricing trends as Land Rover Defenders in North America. They were sold in limited quantities for only a few years here in the US. The more common 90 models currently sell between $25K and $40K, while the rare (500 imported) 110 models command well over $50K for examples that need rebuilds. It has been over a decade since they were sold in NA, and they remain the holy grail for Land Rover Owners.

Other cars in this category include air cooled Porsches, Acura NSX's, BMW Z8's and Ford GT's. The Honda S2000 may join that club as well. These were popular cars when new, they aren't building more of them, and likely never will. At this point, these cars have stopped depreciating, and any loss in value is primarly due to mileage, wear and tear.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Long term, I think Exiges/Elises will follow the same pricing trends as Land Rover Defenders in North America. They were sold in limited quantities for only a few years here in the US. The more common 90 models currently sell between $25K and $40K, while the rare (500 imported) 110 models command well over $50K for examples that need rebuilds. It has been over a decade since they were sold in NA, and they remain the holy grail for Land Rover Owners.

Other cars in this category include air cooled Porsches, Acura NSX's, BMW Z8's and Ford GT's. The Honda S2000 may join that club as well. These were popular cars when new, they aren't building more of them, and likely never will. At this point, these cars have stopped depreciating, and any loss in value is primarly due to mileage, wear and tear.
Agree except for the S2000. With over 65,000 of these sold in the US alone I don't think it's rare enough to see the price stabilization that it's cousin the NSX has enjoyed.

The Exige is comparatively extremely rare. I feel bad sometimes getting mine rock chipped up on the track but then again that's what it was made for.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
About 2 years ago i saw nice exige s in the 35 k range. I had to pay quite a bit more to get the one i wanted a few months ago. I dont think they are increasing at this point but i dont think they are really decreasing either. I think nsx is a good offset. They have stayed about the same for many years though nicer ones are increasingly difficult to find

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have an 07 Exige S.

San
+1. In the last 3 years I have now bought and owned 2 Exiges and recently sold one of them. I very nearly bought another S260 and had to restrain myself. I've been following the market somewhat closely for a while. While supply is low, demand is equally low. You can probably make a decent argument that demand is even lower than supply, as many cars stay on the market for months (though clearly asking price/reserve is a factor here). New cars often take as long or even longer to sell. In mid-to late-2010 there were still "new" 2008 models sitting on dealer lots. I do agree that if no new Exige comes to the US market, prices may stabilize somewhat. The NSX, Supra, and RX-7 all come to mind as lower volume cars that have retained more value than you'd expect given their rarity and sufficient demand.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I looked for nearly a year and bought one in February. A no stories, no accidents, no track time Exige S is a rare bird and you don't see them under 40k. The one that was listed under $40k actually sold at $40k and quickly.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I'd like to chime in on this discussion.

Exige prices are indeed up as verified by Lotus dealers and non Lotus dealers. Even banks have stated this as well but in reality, prices have increased across the board with every make and model. There is a shortage of pre-owned vehicles right now for various reasons and bottom line, dealers are having to pay more for cars than they have before. This is not something new in the automotive industry as it happens in cycle (roughly every 3-4 years). Whole-sellers are paying more than blue book on different cars because they know dealers are in desperate need of vehicles. I took in trade a 2002 Corvette with 31K miles and received a wholesale bid of $5K over blue book. While I do agree the Lotus market goes up and down due to seasons, what we're seeing here has very little to do with that and more to do with supply and demand. Demand for a pre-owned Lotus has ALWAYS been high and will continue to be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts