The Lotus Cars Community banner

Will you be using your Elise for track events?

• I've never done one before owning the Elise, but I will do/have done my first one with this car.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • I've done driving schools or lapping days before, and will do more with this car.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • I am an instructor, road racer or do time trials.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • No track for me.

Votes: 10 11.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what percentage of Elise owners will drive their cars on track -- driver's ed, time trials, road racing, etc.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i've done 3 track days already in the car and have 2 this weekend. before the Elise i had done 3 total. I hope to do about 14 next year.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm not sure your poll fits me properly. I raced a long time ago, but I am not currently an SCCA racer. I do plan to track the Elise at least a time or two to see how we both do.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am currently an instructor in the south east with various clubs like: NASA, Car Guys, THSCC, Chin Motorsports, PCA, BMWCCA etc. I have been tracking a 2004 Z06, now I plan on taking the Elise to the track. The Elise will also be driven on the street, so I do not plan on modifying it to much. Tracks that I go to are: VIR, CMP, Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Barber, TGP, Rockingham, Lowe's Motorspeedway, Watkins Glen, Sebring and hope to go to Shenandoah and Summit Point. I have also been to Gingerman Raceway, Putnam Park and Gratton.

For you guys that will go to the track, here is an excellent link that lists most of the track events east of the Mississippi River:

http://trackschedule.com/

Check out the calender section.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Mine will be for track days and weekend drives. Hoping to have an Elise next year. I tracked my previous 2002 WRX. Also my current 2004 WRX-STi. I've done about 8 HPDE events. I've done Skip Barber's 3-day Racing School (3 years ago), and I'm going to Skippy's 2-day Advanced Racing School next Tuesday! :cool:

I cannot imagine getting an Elise and NOT tracking it. The car was BORN for the track! :)

Mike

·
Registered
751 Posts
I can't wait to track my Elise. I have never tracked a car before, but that is because I am pretty young. I wan't to learn my cars limits and be able to drive it like it should be driven. Driving hard is for the track, not the streets.

...I have only had my car for a few weeks and have already had complete strangers asking me to race for money or even worse. I had a guy in a mustang saleen ask me if I wanted to race for slips... I just laughed and drove away.

I live in GA, so I think I am going to give Barber a try.

-Whit

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have an Elise yet but I will very likely track it when I do. I'm pretty active on tracks in the SE in my FC. Of course as long as I own a formula car I may not want to track my street toy.

BTW, offroadr35, you know me as CG on another board.

·
Registered
654 Posts
spindoc said:
Wondering what percentage of Elise owners will drive their cars on track -- driver's ed, time trials, road racing, etc.
Why would I buy an Elise and NOT take it to the track? There is no other way I could ever push it hard enough to really enjoy it's capabilities. I'll do lots of track days, no actual racing though.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I do 20+ track days a year and can't wait to switch to the Elise; first track day is this Sunday! The Elise will primarily serve as a track car for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have tracked and autocrossed a Miata. I hope to track the Elise as much as $$ and time permits! OK, its probably as much as $$ permits!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have tracked the NSX and the S2000 and can't wait to get the
Elise up to Road America to see how she will handle the Carousel
and Canada Corner! I don't have an SCCA liscence (yet) so I will
be content with touring events and club events. Wish I had more time and lived closer to a good track, jealous of you guys with
serious track time planned!

·
Registered
364 Posts
MyElise,

I always struggle with a VIR event in Feb. It usually snows at these events. THSCC and NASA-VA has events at VIR in Feb. March is much better. I probably won't go in Feb, but who nows. I am still putting the 2005 schedule together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts