The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had the gas gap stuck closed? I tried a search and didn't come up with anything...

I have an early model 2005 elise. I hadn't driven it in about 3 weeks. Got back in and noticed i forgot to fill up on my last drive. I still had a 1/4 tank so i drove for 30 minutes or so before stopping at a gas station.

When i went to unscrew the gas cap i notice it was closed very tightly. I really had to give it an unusually strong twist to get it to budge. After i got it loose i continued to unscrew (about 1 more turn) and then heard a "click" - and encountered some resistance again. Try again and the same thing happens. It's as if it starts to open and then the screw catches another thread....

Anyone ever had this happen? Did i maybe miss align the cap with the thread last time i put it on?

I'm now down to nearly empty and have no idea what to do. I'm thinking i may have to flat bed it to the dealer because i'm almost out of gas... thoughts?

thanks in advance!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes. It became more common on my car. And it is really not totally stuck, it just feels like it. If I applied enough leverage, it would eventually open.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. It became more common on my car. And it is really not totally stuck, it just feels like it. If I applied enough leverage, it would eventually open.
The weird thing is that it does loosen for a turn or two, but then it tightens up again after an audible "click" and feels like any progress i've made just reset. Thats why i thought maybe the thread was misaligned...

Did the same thing happen to you Randy. Did you just solve it with more turns?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I had it happen.. when you try to loosen it and get any movement out of it just pull out at that point, dont keep turning...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh... so remember that epic fail thread... yeah, that'd be me now...

I tried using some pliers to get more leverage. I tried to twist and pull the cap off. unfortunately the "top" of the cap came off instead. What i'm left with is this. Excuse the poor quality pic, it's from my camera and it was in my parking garage...

I tried to use a wrench to twist the white part but i can't get a grip.

So now i'm completely lost. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That would be too much leverage. :eek:

:panic:

You can remove the outer aluminum ring if it helps with clearance. And of course... there is removing the rear clam.

If it was me, I would try some pliers into the spoked area of the plastic and see if you can turn it. But if the top separated, it must be pretty stuck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm actually gonna sleep on it.

I don't have the proper tools on hand right now anyway.. and i don't want to risk breaking anything else :wallbang: I'll post progress as soon as i've got more news.

Feel free to chime in if you have any other ideas!

Cheers,

-Paul

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump for suggestions from the weekday crowd...

Haven't really tried any new approaches. Going to pick up a pair of locking needle nose pliers today and try it out.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Also make sure you buy a replacement cap. Once you get the old one out you'll need something else to put in it's place otherwise you will get a CEL.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I drove around for 24 hours without a gas cap and got no CEL.

xtn

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Thread bump from the dead. This just happened to me. Tank was down just below one bar. I needed a set of vice grips to get the cap off. Based on my searching it looks like it hasn't been that common. Does anyone else have any insight into why this happens? The threads looks clean and undamaged. Perhaps the vacuum breaker in the cap isn't working?

·
Registered
229 Posts
GAS CAP STUCK

Yes, I have had this same thing happen to me. The gas cap is o so tight that it feels like it will never move. You just have to put a lot of muscle into it. I am not that big, that strong, or that young, but it can do it. The trick (if there is a trick) is to put your thumbs as far from the center of the cap and twist with all your might.

P.S. The right swear words also help.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I had this happen about 3 or 4 years ago, ran the car to empty, empty and went to take the gas cap off and it wouldn't budge. I drove the rest of the way to work and borrowed a friends Leatherman :) it gave me the extra leverage to get it loose. Never happened before or after, weird.

:shrug:

:UK:

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I had this happen about 3 or 4 years ago, ran the car to empty, empty and went to take the gas cap off and it wouldn't budge. I drove the rest of the way to work and borrowed a friends Leatherman :) it gave me the extra leverage to get it loose. Never happened before or after, weird.

:shrug:

Your description is exactly the same a mine, especially the extremely low fuel level. Have you run the tank that low since without seeing the problem??

·
Registered
685 Posts
Your description is exactly the same a mine, especially the extremely low fuel level. Have you run the tank that low since without seeing the problem??
No I don't think I've been that dry since, worried about that happening again when you really need gas, work was 5 or so miles further so I took the chance and made it there and the base has a gas station where I promptly filled up. Didn't know if I was going to make it. :panic:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts