The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Apparently a technical malfunction caused the crash, not so much driver error. Not like we'll ever know for sure obviously. Not too surprising, the driver broke both legs."

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Apparently happened in Belgium. Didn't even appear to scuff the brickwork ! :eek:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Upon closer inspection if there was a passenger he/she prob wouldnt have survived, look at the cage and how its been cut with the jaws of life.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Looks like the tubing / cage did it's job. I can't imagine there being much else in front to absorb the impact.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Upon closer inspection if there was a passenger he/she prob wouldnt have survived, look at the cage and how its been cut with the jaws of life.
Actually the passenger received less injury than the driver. A broken leg and miscellaneous abraisions. Treated and released from the hospital. The driver received more serious injuries to his legs and will need reconstructive surgery. The car had just returned from significant repairs after an on-track incident. The driver reported that the throttle had sutck in 3rd gear.

Here's a link to his story: Pascal's Orange Atom's Sad Demise

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
The only thing I can compare that to is a Caterham. I never saw a Caterham with that much damage even after a end over end roll.

It would give me pause about buying one of these..

·
Registered
33 Posts
It soesn't get much tougher than head on into a brick wall.

If the engine was redlined in 3rd gear at impact as told by the driver, the speed would have been above 50 MPH, maybe as much as 75. Zero "give" in the concrete curb and brick wall. Not surviveable in most cars.

During AtomFest we interviewed the Atom's creator who is said htat to date, no Atom is known to have rolled. (slightly OT, sorry)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The only thing I can compare that to is a Caterham. I never saw a Caterham with that much damage even after a end over end roll.

It would give me pause about buying one of these..
Really? I think it stood up amazingly well and protected the driver. If the speed really was 50-70 mph, then two big thumbs up for the Atom.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Well the Caterham has a front engine so the engine absorbs before the foot wells. the Atom just has space.....so there is a difference there.

This is similar to a formula car impact. They should make a carbon fiber front foot area into the cars...somehow braced to take the impact and save the lower legs.

We did a poll several years back on the Sevens lists. I seem to recall there were no fatalities that anyone could remember in a Seven...Lotus or Caterham. I personally have never talked to someone hurt in a Seven.

There are thousands of Seven type vehicles out there. Not too bad, if this casual poll was correct.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Well the Caterham has a front engine so the engine absorbs before the foot wells. the Atom just has space.....so there is a difference there.
If the engine doesn't deform it's not absorbing any of the impact. It just transfers the energy backward.

I'm not saying the Atom is super-safe. I'm just saying that we don't have much room to talk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the engine doesn't deform it's not absorbing any of the impact. It just transfers the energy backward.

I'm not saying the Atom is super-safe. I'm just saying that we don't have much room to talk.
Yep, the engine doesn't usually deform, which is why they design a crumble zone and as it crumbles, the engine is dropped down so it does not get pushed into the passengers while the crumbling absorbs the impact energy.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Glad passengers have survived.

Nothing happened to the brick wall!

Where the frame tubing on the passenger side did go? ..Maybe they had to cut them out to release the passenger.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts

I have seen several Caterhams with frontal inpacts. Now I dont know the speed...and brick walls are really bad...but the drivers compartment stayed relativly intact. Side impacts while can be bad in Caterham ... I have seen them where there was so much side impact that the side draft carbs became updraft carbs and the driver walked away.

I dont recall any...not have I heard of any bad injuries in a Seven. We did a poll last few years ago...and no one had heard of a Seven driver being killed or seriously injured.

A few Europa drivers....but no Sevens.

This was an informal poll and I am sure that if someone got really hurt they may not be able to respond or might not be on the various lists....but no one knew of anything.

I am not saying the Atom is unsafe....all I am saying is that the frontal impact does seem to encroach on the drivers and passengers feet. Much like a formula car. they should have a strong cell up there. The cars are certainly enough money that this can be a doable thing.

The Elise has a fairly good crush structure and it is only a 50K car. Last I heard the Atoms were quite a bit above that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Pascal's front collision w/Ariel Atom

I just read the driver (Pascal) email that he explained what happened. he is in hospital at this moment for a surgery on his better leg.:eek:

What an amazing guy!! He kept a positive attitude after his severe accident. That shocked me the most.

He thinks the Atom did a good job absorbing the impact; and he would rather be in Ariel than any other cars, if same accident shall happen again.

'MUST READ' Story!:bow:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I
What an amazing guy!! He kept a positive attitude after his severe accident. That shocked me the most.
no surprise, he's probably happy to be alive.
- and high as a kite on painkillers! :nanner:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts