The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's already passed 2 house votes.

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

Read more: Arizona Looks to Outlaw Internet Trolling | Techland | TIME.com

·
Registered
224 Posts
IF! this passes, it will be like most Arizona laws and wind up at the supreme court. The free speech lawyers will tear it apart, and will eventually just fall apart.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm offended by your note.

On a serious note, this is what's meant by "electronic bullying," or what others might call a thought-crime. The problem is the line is very thin.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
IF! this passes, it will be like most Arizona laws and wind up at the supreme court. The free speech lawyers will tear it apart, and will eventually just fall apart.
Maybe not this time. See what happened in NJ with the internet camera spying trial. Much of the damning evidence consisted of tweets.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Maybe not this time. See what happened in NJ with the internet camera spying trial. Much of the damning evidence consisted of tweets.
I would agree - save for the wording of this bill is FAR too general. They'll strike it down for revision, they'll revise it, include it in a highway bill somewhere, and it'll hardly be seen again.

Of course, I'm no politician, so who knows.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I dislike trolls as much as the next guy. But 25 years in prison for "annoying", "offending" or using "profane language"? That is a bit harsh.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would agree - save for the wording of this bill is FAR too general. They'll strike it down for revision, they'll revise it, include it in a highway bill somewhere, and it'll hardly be seen again.

It's already passed and is awaiting the governor's approval. Given the IQ level of Jan Brewer (or possibly the IQ level of the people she ingeniously panders to), she will sign it. There will not be any revision, it will be thrown out in federal court. I think the federal government should start billing Arizona for the court time they waste.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to trade my 04 350z for a Lotus Exige 260... "knock at door"... "You're under arrest for trolling and now you're going to prison for 25 years scumbag!"

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I would like to trade my 04 350z for a Lotus Exige 260... "knock at door"... "You're under arrest for trolling and now you're going to prison for 25 years scumbag!"
lol

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keatre

It's already passed and is awaiting the governor's approval. Given the IQ level of Jan Brewer (or possibly the IQ level of the people she ingeniously panders to), she will sign it. There will not be any revision, it will be thrown out in federal court. I think the federal government should start billing Arizona for the court time they waste.

Are you bullying poor Jan Brewer and the politicians of AZ,,, oh wait is that a knock on your door... don't answer!!!!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Warning! Political opinion to follow.

I think it appalling that many politicians are either actually ignorant of what we are guaranteed under the Constitution or are willing to say and do in disregard of the same, legislation in this case, to pander to popular opinion. This, dare I say it, lack of priciple amongst political leaders transcends party or state and bodes ill for the nation. The grotesqueries of state politics are shameful in their sheer volume. Unfortunately there seems little to check these tendencies from the electorate. A modern destructive tactic seems to be to pass intentionally unconstitutional legislation knowing full well that it takes time for a court to reasonably consider a legal challenge. Fait accompli.
Politicians need be held responsible by public critique and not excused based on practical political exercise or partisan reportage.

My 0.02 cents in the ocean of political discourse. :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts