The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many Arnie lovers here and I am not defaming him, only asking a question. Do you think that perhaps Lotus saw
these delays coming, and knew they were due to poor organizational management and thats why Arnie was let go ?
People can be visionary as to company direction but clueless
as to the nuts and bolts of making it work.

Then on the other hand, perhaps the problems we are all seeing are a result of the Arnie dismissal.

Opinions ?

Steve

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I seriously doubt it.

I think these delays are coming from England, not from Atlanta.

If anything I think Arnie may have tried his best to combat crap like this. I dont know Mr English, maybe he's doing his best too.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sown, when it all boils down, LCU is merely a customer of Lotus UK, they have absolutely no control of the cars until they get to these shores. So Arnie had absolutely no control over that, he told me long ago he didn't the think the cars would be on time.
Chris

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently I misunderstood Arnies position. I didn't know he was just USA.

Steve

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sownman said:

People can be visionary as to company direction but clueless
as to the nuts and bolts of making it work.

Opinions ?

Steve
There are lots of nuts and bolts coming together in England from all over the globe, i.e. shell from France, engine from Japan, sport wheels from Russia. Plus the JIT method of ordering parts really makes one screw up by any supplier a deadline breaker. Its a wonder that the car makes it here at all.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Re: Re: Arnie and the delays related ?

GabbaGabbaHey said:
. shell from France....
That is the answer - the French found a way to really get back at us Americans - they are holding up parts:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
If anything, Arnies' absence is contributing to the delay. Lotus UK is a tough group to deal with but after 30 years with Lotus Arnie knew everyone there. He didn't have to call a Director and wait for questions to filter down the chain and back up; he called the guy on the line, the guy in parts, whoever he needed too. He was one of the few people that could get things done in the ciaos that is Lotus.

I'm sure the new guys are working the issues but there's not substitute for being able to call buddies you've been drinking with for 30 years:)

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

·
Registered
739 Posts
It was bloody Ridge damnit! If he hadn't confused the idiot savants that run Lotus about exactly what colour yellow is, we'd all have cars by now!!!

Of course it could just be that Lotus is a piss poorly run bunch of no-hope amateurs (when it comes to business)... or it could be that the overpaid, smug b*stard management have their heads up their fat asses.... but my money is on Ridge...

BTW - Lotus!!! Thanks for making this the most unpleasant buying experience I've had in the last 39 years. Eclipsing even buying fresh horse blood to test polymer biocompatibility, my previous low.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tpup said:
If anything, Arnies' absence is contributing to the delay. Lotus UK is a tough group to deal with but after 30 years with Lotus Arnie knew everyone there. He didn't have to call a Director and wait for questions to filter down the chain and back up; he called the guy on the line, the guy in parts, whoever he needed too. He was one of the few people that could get things done in the ciaos that is Lotus.

I'm sure the new guys are working the issues but there's not substitute for being able to call buddies you've been drinking with for 30 years:)

Just my .02 worth.

Roy
What most do not realize is that this car had been delayed for years and Arnie had to fight it all the way. It was only when the sales dropped off in England and many deposits were collected that they thought to come this way.
The future will be very interesting without Arnie to push and to get things thru. I personally know a lot of history on this car and what it took to get it to these shores. I hear a lot of smart a** coments on these sites and have kept my mouth shut. I can only say, wait... a year or two when the production catches up here in the States, or when your warranty expires and see if things will get fixed like they did in the old days.
Arnie had a lot more action than talk...
I think now we see a lot of talk and less action, otherwise why do they still have so many Esprits on the Market?
Looks like someone stole the Ball and Show just at it's peak. The biggest mistake that I see Arnie made was trusting the wrong people at the end as he was bringing the Elise to this country. Now let's see what the next 5 years bring.
The fact is: I know that the last 5 years worth of work brought this car to the states.
For those of you who have one or (2) cars I say that you should enjoy your car but don't let your head get so big that you cannot fit into it.
I remember when the Prowler, PT Cruiser,BMW Z-3, Boxter,SLK and a few other cars had gotten a lot of people to fill the dealers pockets with extra cash. Now that you can have anyone for less than the original owners lost in the first two years of driving.
The Elise was suppose to keep the Lotus Sportscar going in this country and maybe start up club racing bringing to us the chance of owning a great sportscar for drivers and regular people. But of course the door got opened to far and now we have all of these buyers wanting to show off and act foolish.
I personally will wait a year or so, find someone that pissed their pants when they spun the car trying to show off in traffic, buy their car for about 1/2 of what people are paying now and will be out at the track having a good time.
I remember the Elan, a good car at $40k and a great car at $10-15k.

:D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Kerrry is blaming me and Osama Lama
Ding Dong for the election loss. Randy
blames me for helping Hethel corrupt
their west coast allocations. Vangman
blames me for Valenti-ism, and Chris
wants me to stop complaining about
dealers who bypass reservation holders
for the 'almighty buck'. Thank goodness,
'CC' has nothing but good words to say
about Ridgeman.....and that is confirmed
by Zodiac Lady, a renowned gypsy
fortune-teller, who makes contact with
him in the hereafter.....or the thereafter.
In any case, one of them 'afters'.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
guzzitk said:

For those of you who have one or (2) cars I say that you should enjoy your car but don't let your head get so big that you cannot fit into it.
I remember when the Prowler, PT Cruiser,BMW Z-3, Boxter,SLK and a few other cars had gotten a lot of people to fill the dealers pockets with extra cash. Now that you can have anyone for less than the original owners lost in the first two years of driving.
The Elise was suppose to keep the Lotus Sportscar going in this country and maybe start up club racing bringing to us the chance of owning a great sportscar for drivers and regular people. But of course the door got opened to far and now we have all of these buyers wanting to show off and act foolish.
I personally will wait a year or so, find someone that pissed their pants when they spun the car trying to show off in traffic, buy their car for about 1/2 of what people are paying now and will be out at the track having a good time.
I remember the Elan, a good car at $40k and a great car at $10-15k.

:D
This thread is ancient.

What do you mean by " for those who have your cars dont let your head get too big" and "But of course the door got opened to far and now we have all of these buyers wanting to show off and act foolish".

Show off? Act Foolish? In what regard? What are you talking about?

When you find your $10,000 elise next year, bring it on over to my house, I'd like to see it. :) Can Fox Valley get me an elise for $10,000 now? That'd be grrrreat! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK, OK, ancient thread but I have a favorite Arnie story:

A friend wanted to upgrade his '97 Esprit to the later AP Lockheed brakes shortly after they were introduced and was getting frustrated with shipping delays. Arnie called him up and said "I'm going to the factory next week. If you don't have the parts by them, I will get them and carry them back myself."

And that's why he's missed.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
EspritMike said:
OK, OK, ancient thread but I have a favorite Arnie story:

A friend wanted to upgrade his '97 Esprit to the later AP Lockheed brakes shortly after they were introduced and was getting frustrated with shipping delays. Arnie called him up and said "I'm going to the factory next week. If you don't have the parts by them, I will get them and carry them back myself."

And that's why he's missed.
Yea, but what has he done for us
lately?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts