The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to the immense expression of emotion for Arnie Johnson, it sounds to me like there will need to be an Arnie Johnson Appreciation event planned for later this year (once a majority of 2005's are delivered)...where he can come and be thanked by his fans.

I know I'd want him to sign my Elise in permanent ink...as the 2005 Elise will be his car as much as mine.

Somewhere mid-America would make sense...St. Louis?

David

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
No I don't know if he's confirmed. I just think with the timing of his possible departure, that LOG would probably turn into a type of "Arnie appreciation event" whether he's there or not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOG is Sep 10-13th...imagine only about 10-15% of eventual 2005 Elise's will be delivered by then? Additionally...Birmingham AL isn't too convenient for 60-65% of eventual Elise owners. I imagine only folks in the top 20-30 on dealer lists will have their cars by September. Of course, this will be great for those able to attend LOG 24, but I'm imagining an event at a time and place that would maximize participation...celebration...synergy! I agree, piggy-backing on an established event is an efficient idea...just brainstorming how do Arnie Johnson justice and I think the more Elise's there and the more folks from across the US, the better. Late 2004, early 2005 seems like a great target...but weather may be a factor then...pushing it to nearly a year...and maybe Arnie will be forgotten by then? Ideas?

Respectfully,
David

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
If I make it to the LOG this year, I'll show my support for Arnie by leaving the room if Hole attends and has the nerve to make a speech.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Additionally...I understand NO location is convenient for any majority of eventual Elise owners...seems somewhere in and between Minnesota and Texas is most central, but then again, there may be more Elise owners in California and Florida/Georgia than anywhere else...may be an interesting poll, eventually.

Of course there will always be owners that let their Elise sit in a garage except for 20-mile Anita-esque jaunts on sunny Sundays...and the thought of a 1000-mile drive cross-country makes them quiver!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think this sounds a great idea. I think the elise community can do something at least, regardless of what Lotus Ltd. does. I also think we could have it conjunction with LOG.

I'll be talking to Arnie next week perhaps I can start working on him to come, though if Hale is there, not sure he would.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
X000000101 said:
Additionally...I understand NO location is convenient for any majority of eventual Elise owners...seems somewhere in and between Minnesota and Texas is most central, but then again, there may be more Elise owners in California and Florida/Georgia than anywhere else...may be an interesting poll, eventually.
I have been involved in previous national car meets and I recommend a separate western and an eastern meet. Not many people will be willing to drive an Elise 3000 miles, but most people in the west would be willing to drive to Las Vegas for example.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I think this sounds a great idea. I think the elise community can do something at least, regardless of what Lotus Ltd. does. I also think we could have it conjunction with LOG.

I'll be talking to Arnie next week perhaps I can start working on him to come, though if Hale is there, not sure he would.
Chris
Who better than Fred
Valenti to 'chair' the event if possible, Chris?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randy Chase said:
I have been involved in previous national car meets and I recommend a separate western and an eastern meet. Not many people will be willing to drive an Elise 3000 miles, but most people in the west would be willing to drive to Las Vegas for example.
I like the two-event idea, Randy. I see the limiters to this idea are a separated, and thus, watered-down "crowd" and having to ask the guest of honour (a little UK lingo there) to travel to two events. I imagine as/if something like this comes to fruition, one vs. two venues will be debated and hashed out. It sure would be great for passionate owners coast-to-coast to come together, and having something planned 6 - 12 months ahead would hopefully give folks lead time.

V/R,
David

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd certainly do an eastern and would probably fly as far as St Louis. If it were at the Hole event I'm afraid I'd probably end up in jail...

Ya need to sound Arnie out. If he's heading to court he'll probably be keeping his head down for a while...

:mad:

·
Registered
739 Posts
PS...

If someone who knows Arnie suggested he open himself a Yahoo email account I'm sure he'd have hundreds of messages of appreciation by sunset. Might help underline just what it is he's done for us all.

:bow:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Feffman said:
So if LOG was in the Midwest (St. Louis, Kansas City, etc), would both western and eastern Lotus owners be there?

Mark
As long as my Elise has been delivered (which won't be until September or so, for all I know) and I'm not deployed, I'll be at an Arnie Appreciation event, regardless of continental US location. I assume the majority of 2005 Elise's won't even be built/delivered until July to December of this year?

I think the ability to have Arnie there AND a preponderance of 2005 Elise's (and owners willing/able/knowledgable enough to come) it would be incredible. I'm picturing a field or lot with 500 Federal Elise's parked side-by-side, with owners and Arnie in front.

Maybe I'm just dreaming...?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts