The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"While we don't have all the details yet, apparently there has been a shakeup or 'reorganization' at Lotus Cars USA.

Arnie Johnson, the man many consider to be the biggest reason we are lucky enough to be getting the Federal Elise, was originally reported to have been terminated. It now appears that he may have been assigned a new role within the organization, but it isn't clear what that is yet.

More as soon as we hear something official..."

--Alan (Roadfly)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There has been some additional things I have heard to indicate that there is some validity to the rumor. However, we don't know anything concrete and I would caution against too much speculation (hey, I sound like Lotus Admin). :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Re: Lotus usa shakeup??

Adam P said:
Any more info to this report?

roadfly information

Adam p
Arnie's idea as to how Lotus should be proceeding may be
opposite to that of Mr. Hale who was
brought on as CEO for Lotus USA earlier
this year. I do know that Hale is known for his ability to bring market shares up to more optimum levels, than was the case previously, when he was running Mazda's US network.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
moved and merged

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
With all due respect, "the Duke" Hale is the same guy quoted as saying he could sell 10-15,000 elises a year in the US within three/four years. Hale has a large auto corporation mentality and absolutely no concept of a micro car manufacturer.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
With all due respect, "the Duke" Hale is the same guy quoted as saying he could sell 10-15,000 elises in the US within three/four years. Hale has a large auto corporation mentality and absolutely no concept of a micro car manufacturer.
Do you really think thats unreasonable? 10k in 3-4 years is only 2500-3300 per year. Thats about whats coming in the first year, and we know that many are essentially sold at this point. I'm sure that when these cars start to hit the street, demand is going to skyrocket, based on looks alone.

I think, if positioned right, they could easily sell 5k/year, especially for the first 2 years.

Steve

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
steve,
Thanks for bringing that error to my attention! He's actually been quoted in two different articles saying 10,000 in one and 15,000 in the other, Lotus sales in the US PER YEAR!!!!

CHris

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
A little exclusivity is important IMO. My current car was sold in numbers of 1500/year for only three years and I still see a couple every week.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is indeed bad news, every time Lotus try to go 'big business' and distance themselves from their enthusiast heritage they screw it up BIG TIME and end up close to bankrupt. Of course each time that happens they get bought by a new player, people get canned and the cycle repeats. When will they learn....

:(
PS - I should add that I'm extrapolating the recruitment profile to UK management...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Chris,

Help me out here. How would this change make you want to possibly sell your Elise? Do you really see this as doom for Lotus USA? Is this new guy that much of a tool?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
He's actually been quoted in two different articles saying 10,000 in one and 15,000 in the other, Lotus sales in the US PER YEAR!!!!
I don't see that as unreasonable. Chevy sells 20k corvettes per year. S2000 and 350Z should be in that range, too. With a successful marketing campaign and slightly lower prices, the American public could be warmed up to the Elise and the new style of driving it represents.

Granted, being able to sell them says nothing about Lotus' ability to produce them. But he didn't say anything about building them, then, did he? I don't think his statement deserves so much criticism. I think it's a sign of an optimistic forward-looking approach to the company's future.

As for the intrinsic value of the car is concerned: personally, I could care less if there's a Lotus in every garage in the country as long as the performance stays where it's at.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves with speculation regarding Arnie's status at LCUSA. Before you know it everyone's gonna think that LCUSA and Hethel have been burned down by a fire.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just spoke with my dealer... he's in shock at the Arnie announcement...

Apparently Arnie has been offered Director of Operations - which is a useful spot but rather insulting considering what he's done to get the car this far. No news as to whether Arnie plans to accept this new role and wait for the new geezer to screw up and get sacked in due course.

As we suspect, the new AHOLE has made this change. Even the staff at Lotus UK are up in arms about it - but of course the management that recruited Mr Hole have to back him or lose face/credibility.

Seems not unreasonable that this forum should make its feelings felt (for Arnie) and toward Mr Hole. As an aside my dealer was concerned that Mr Hole might also start to meddle with allocations, franchises and the like and God only knows where that might end.

"Dear Mr Hole. You just made a poor judgement call, you have alienated the very people who you rely upon for your business"

Paul

:no:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
huggy bear said:
I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves with speculation regarding Arnie's status at LCUSA. Before you know it everyone's gonna think that LCUSA and Hethel have been burned down by a fire.
LOL...you're right. I've got a rumor for you; Lotus has been bought out by KIA and the new Elise will have the same front end of the Avanti and the brand new 1.2L "power" plant. :D

Neil

Attachments

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.