Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't heard from anyone concerning
a show of solidarity with Mr. Johnson by
refusing to accept the Elise on principle.
Feel free to begin listing your name(s)
below whenever you like.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
below whenever you like.
Didn't anyone tell you? We are starting with your delivery!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
below whenever you like.
Very dry Ridge:rolleyes:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
below whenever you like.
Sorry, but I try not to act harshly unless I've heard both sides of the story. While I've heard nothing but positive things about Mr. Johnson, and am under the impression that without him, there'd be no US Elise, I know that Lotus would not have removed him from that position without a reason. Often, it has nothing to do with the quality of work you're doing, but rather, a change in the focus or organization of the company. I've seen too many layoffs in the high tech industry where good engineers got let go without a good reason, like if their project happened to be finished, it just made 'more sense' to cut that person rather than someone in the middle of a project. It's just the way most corporations are these days, it seems.

I'm reserving judgement on this issue until I hear the whole story.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Point is well taken Ridge, I was probably one of the most vocal critics of the personnel change and indeed I did say I was going to cancel my order. Arnie is still and will always remain my friend and Arnie is the reason I've got the car I'm driving now. I think/hope that everyone remembers that, please also refer back to my first posting on getting the car, giving Arnie full credit for getting this thing from a dream to a reality. Do I wish Arnie was still at Lotus, of course I do. But he's not, that won't change.

That said, the whole reason I went to interview the new CEO John English was to get a feel for his plans and thoughts on the elise. I came away from that interview with a good feeling in that he's committed to the success of the car. Since he's in charge now we just have to see how things work out I believe.

So, Ridge if your perception is I'm a traitor, so be it. I know Arnie well enough to know he wouldn't want anyone falling on their sword on his behalf.

Chris

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
below whenever you like.
So are you refusing the delivery of your car:confused:

Is your name the first on the list:huh:

Lotus USA is a SALES orgainization. Arnie did not pen the Elise...

I think the Arnie situation has been covered and I for one would rather we talk about the cars:)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only need to add that with all the venomous remarks made about Hale and English, who incidently are doing a hell of a job as far I can see when we realize they just came on board recently, a ton of apologies should be directed their way by a whole lot of people......and to be honest it should have started by you Chris when you recently met Mr. English in person. As I remember it, you were one of the original 'attack dogs' who didn't give these guys a chance to catch their breath before ripping into them
mercilessly.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I still have no knowledge or feel for Hale. But indeed when I interviewed English I explained my position on the personnel change, of course they knew all that as they read this forum. I also explained to him that I had to get a feel for his plans and goals. I lked them, and told him so. After the interview I came away with a pretty positive feel of Mr. English.

Also, to the best of my knowledge I did not use my "attack dog" mode on Mr. English.

I guess short of slashing my wrists and making a human sacrifice at his feet what else can I do?

In an effort to prevent this getting into "beating dead horse mode" feel free to pm me with your views Ridge.

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Before you slash your wrists, Chris, be sure to bequeath you car to a deserving Elisetalker!

I believe that Chris was quite complimentary about Mr. English after his interview with him. So I don't think he owes anyone an apology.

People get passed over for promotions all the time in business. Often, top management feels that they need to inject new blood into a company rather than promoting from within. The person passed over then can find themselves in a no-win situation. It's hard to stay, so they move on to something else.

I don't know if that's what happened to Arnie. But I'm grateful for his efforts in bringing the US Elise to fruition. At the same time, I'm not going to damn Lotus for making a change. The company obviously has had serious problems for years and still has some, in my opinion, based on their approach to marketing and customer and dealer communication. Hopefully Lotus will thrive as they implement changes and Arnie will go on to something satisfying.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris: I'll give you this. You did leave most of the bashing to others who used you as a lightning rod. I'm not surprised that no one, other than you, has come forth with a mid-course change of thought concerning Mr. English. Let us not forget, however, that this gentleman
is but an extension of the Hale philosophy and if he wasn't, Hale would never have brought him on board. Trying to separate the two is but an exercise in semantics. I'm sure they are of one mind
concerning Lotus. P.S.- If Mr. Hale and Mr. English are perusing this site, I would just like to say to them, some at this site believe in allowing people a chance at proving their worth over a reasonable period of time before voicing displeasure
with their approach.........in a fair, insult-free manner. Good luck to the both of you gentlemen, and may Lotus reach all our hoped for expectations of
long range success.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ridge, you continue to be an interesting person. :)

I do not recall a lot of bashing of Mr. English on this forum, but I agree there was some over-the-top reaction to Hale and I thought that as a forum, we handled it as best we could. We asked people to not bash Hale personally.

Did Chris over react? Sure, he knows I think he did. But really, it seems to me that your cry for humanity about it, forgets that Chris was a close friend of Arnie and he was reacting to the change in a very human manner. For me, it made sense to cut Chris some slack for what had to be a difficult situation. The car you love, imported by a close friend, and now he is let go. It had to be wierd. I expected things would smooth over, and they did.

Why bring it up now?

And yes, you can separate two people, it is not semantics to do so.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
On a positive note, when Arnie Johnson sees an Elise driving down the road, I hope he says to himself, "I made that happen."

Alternatively, he's in a large SUV, he could just plow the Elise of the road. ;)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgive me, Randy, but if I were a politician looking for someone to handle 'spin', you'd be an asset to me. Mr. English was constantly referred as a lackey of Mr. Hale since, of course, Hale was the one who brought him on board. To say , 'I have no respect for Hale, but I reserve decision on his foremost appointee', flys in the face of logic. Who do you think has final approval with regard to Lotus USA operations......Mr. English? As far as being a close friend of Mr. Johnson's and feeling the need to rip into a person....or persons who had nothing to do with his ouster, mystifies me. Sure, you can feel personally upset at his ouster, but why the need for vicious verbal attacks on his replacement as a way of trying to reinforce your feelings of support for him. Mr. Johnson may not say it but something tells me that he would never condone the attack of someone who did nothing to him but simply accepted a position offered.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Don't see the need to stir this pot at this time. Seems a bit of trolling is going on.

From my perspective, you're a fairminded fellow Chris. Enjoy the ride.

Mike

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The first US Elise has been delivered, and more are on the way! Let's focus on that, and look forward, rather than dwelling on the past.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Forgive me, Randy, but if I were a politician looking for someone to handle 'spin', you'd be an asset to me.
Have you seen my old license plate?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think Ridgeman may have just ordered himself the same "special edition" elise that Transio did:D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Need4Speed said:
Don't see the need to stir this pot at this time. Seems a bit of trolling is going on.

From my perspective, you're a fairminded fellow Chris. Enjoy the ride.

Mike
'What pot'? This pot
has exploded with sh....t flying all over the place from all the 'spinning'...I mean
'stirring' going on already. P.S. - I've heard through the grapevine that 'Arnie's
Army' is going to march on Hethel and
set fire to their purchase orders, thereby cancelling their Elises from the truly responsible party for his ouster. That will show them how solidarity is done!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.