The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

Hey, seriously in agony here guys considering whether to buy or not to buy an Elise. Currently been quoted a price of AUD$80k to drive a new Elise S away from the dealer here in Perth Western Australia.

What do you think? What would you do? Buying secondhand is not really a option as there's probably only 4 Elise's in this town... What advise would you give a newb in this situation? Address your midlife crisis (i'm 35) and this problem wil go away? Do i have any other underlying problems I don't know about?

I wanna hear from you even if you don't own a Lotus. Tell me stuff. Post a pic of your dog / cat / car / anything. Please feel free to poke fun @ me if you think that may help me out.

:panic:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm planning to buy a used one in the US next week and ship it back to Europe. The price savings will be significant, and I'm also in an area where are few Elises so no used ones available.

You may want to look into buying one in the US (large used market there) and having it shipped... but I suppose it may be awkward with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey, seriously in agony here guys considering whether to buy or not to buy an Elise. Currently been quoted a price of AUD$80k to drive a new Elise S away from the dealer here in Perth Western Australia.

What do you think? What would you do? Buying secondhand is not really a option as there's probably only 4 Elise's in this town... What advise would you give a newb in this situation?
Joukowski, get on over to Aussie Elises. Plenty of advice available over there about shipping cars interstate if you can't find what you want locally.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts

Address your midlife crisis (i'm 35)
MIDLIFE????

Oh PLEEEEASE!!! Spare me....rotfl

Anyway, simple advice from a guy who is REALLy in midlife:

BUY

THE

LOTUS

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
caution:: The Elise will make ALL other cars seem inferior and crude in comparison. You will become jaded and appear rude when others explain how their "sports car" handles so well.

here's my favorite pic...

Attachments

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
The name of the forum is LotusTalk. What do you really expect to hear? Buy one. Heck buy 2, they're small.

·
Registered
181 Posts
caution:: The Elise will make ALL other cars seem inferior and crude in comparison. You will become jaded and appear rude when others explain how their "sports car" handles so well.
I wouldn't go that far. The Elise is a very fun little car to drive, but so are other cars - just in different ways. I firmly believe there's no one perfect car, and so I'm doing my best to sample as many different ones as I possibly can. My GTO is a huge, ungainly beast in comparison to the Elise, but damn if power-on oversteer and powersliding around corners isn't fun and easy in it. My STi doesn't have the steering response and weight of the Elise, but being able to nail the throttle early in a corner and feeling the turbo spool and the AWD pulling you around the corner is intoxicating. They're all different, and all fun in their own way.

Are there any go-kart tracks around you that you can rent 'serious' karts from (not like a miniature golf type place)? I'd say to go there, and spend an afternoon buzzing around in one. If you like the way that the steering feels, if you like the loud engine and the wind in your face, and you like how tenaciously they can cling to the pavement in the corners, you'll love the Elise. If all you can think of is that the seats are too hard, and you wish that they had more grunt, and that the steering is tiresome, and you wish you had some sort of music to accompany you on your drives, you won't like the Elise. To me, an Elise is like a go-kart turned up to 11 and scaled up for use on real roads.

For any serious car lover, the Elise is a 'must-own' at one point in their life. If you have the financial means, why not?

Out of curiosity, what other cars fall into that $80k AUD price range?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Thanks! You guys are the best enablers I've come across, glad to see there's a community of Lotus owners in Perth & thanks for all the pics from everyone.

Hey Riddlefox: The GTO would fall within the $80k price range I believe. But from a guy who's always bought second hand when it cames to cars all my life, this is quite a drastic change of direction for me. Apart from the fact that $80k is quite a bit of moolah for me also.

& hey SweetDaddyD: of course I wanna buy one, that's why I'm asking here, this is such a big purchase for me i'm gonna be needing lot of positive reinforcement as well as encouragement from your balanced & unbias opinions and to also feel some more of The Love this weekend before I step off the edge next week.

You guys are the greatest! Keep it comin!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you have to even ask, it is not for you. You're on a Lotus forum, do you really think anyone is going to tell you they hate their cars. And, if they did they wouldn't be on the forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts

What do you think? What would you do?...

I'm not so sure it's a good deal. Isn't AUD $80,000 about equal to $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 now?-eek-

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
That sums it all up...

It's amazing that they let us drive this cars on the street.

They are incredible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not so sure it's a good deal. Isn't AUD $80,000 about equal to $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 now?-eek-
Good point, $80k is what I would consider the list price anyway, will be going in hard to talk serious shop next week, what sort of discounts would you guys expect me to get from a Lotus authorised dealer? What sort of leaverage would you apply in this situation?

P.s. lol. & JoshS cut it out man, you're frightening me with your logic!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good point, $80k is what I would consider the list price anyway, will be going in hard to talk serious shop next week, what sort of discounts would you guys expect me to get from a Lotus authorised dealer? What sort of leaverage would you apply in this situation?
Aussie list price of a new Elise S is $70k + on-roads. The dealers aren't get very big margins on that model so don't expect much discounting. There aren't too many options that they can throw in either.

If you are a little flexible with colour choice you should be able to find a car you like somewhere in the country. If Barbagello's aren't prepared to ship one over for you, consider flying over to Adelaide or Melbourne. Conventional wisdom from ex-Perth Lotus owners is don't drive across the Nullabor. Stick the car on a truck or train.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Aussie list price of a new Elise S is $70k + on-roads. The dealers aren't get very big margins on that model so don't expect much discounting. There aren't too many options that they can throw in either.

If you are a little flexible with colour choice you should be able to find a car you like somewhere in the country. If Barbagello's aren't prepared to ship one over for you, consider flying over to Adelaide or Melbourne. Conventional wisdom from ex-Perth Lotus owners is don't drive across the Nullabor. Stick the car on a truck or train.
"Cross the Nullabor"...in a Lotus?!?!?

LOL. I love Wikipedia!

·
Registered
325 Posts
"...the road contains the longest straight piece of tarred road surface in Australia (and posibly the world; 146.6 km)." Not really the type of road the Lotus was built for. Police use airplanes for speed enforcement and the speed limit is a stupidly low 110km/h or approx 65mph.
Eyre Highway on Wikipedia

1 - 20 of 32 Posts