1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love it?

Meh...

Makes me vomit!

what are your thoughts? people tell me that its "spicy" but I dont taste any spice... if I try to swallow it my stomach protests violently, what are your thoughts?
(this was inspired by by skyviews poll, and a bowl of arugula someone tried to pass off as a salad this weekend)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A little advice on this one: Don't steam it like you would spinach-

Why I know: My boys and I eat a lot of spinach- The other day I picked up a couple of bags of what I thought was spinach (it had been mistakenly merchandised in the spinach section)- Brought it home, steamed it- The looks of disgust on my sons' faces, I will not soon forget-

Otherwise, it's just another lettuce-

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Oh, here's a really good recipe using arugula (er, rocket)...

Make some polenta (which is a mush made from (hopefully) high-quality stone-ground cornmeal, milk (or water or stock as you like), a little butter if you like and a dash of sugar and salt. As the polenta is nearly ready, throw in plenty of arugula (coarsely chopped) and some gorgonzola cheese. Stir for a few minutes more and serve. It's very good.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its pretty fricken nasty even if you dont steam it... its not just another lettuce I promise
it might be because I am a supertaster tho(easy to check, dump a packet of sweet and low in your mouth... if it tastes sweet you arent a supertaster... if it tastes like bitter ass you are one) as far as I can tell supertasters can taste nasty stuff other people cant which is a total jyp... there isnt anything super about that... it just makes alot of vegitable(specifically those with a high flavinoid content) taste horrible :(

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, here's a really good recipe using arugula (er, rocket)...

Make some polenta (which is a mush made from (hopefully) high-quality stone-ground cornmeal, milk (or water or stock as you like), a little butter if you like and a dash of sugar and salt. As the polenta is nearly ready, throw in plenty of arugula (coarsely chopped) and some gorgonzola cheese. Stir for a few minutes more and serve. It's very good.
you people are SICK!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Never heard of it. But not surprising. If it doesn't grow or graze in the fields of the midwest, I probably don't eat it.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it does grow in the wild just probably not there(would if you planted it tho)... and as stated above it looks alot like baby spinach

I think they call it rocket due to the velocity of the contents of your stomache after eating it :D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rofl
A. not eating poi, I just had a subway sandwich(they dont offer poi not even in hawaii)
B. Poi has no flavor
C. its not something you just eat... its made to mellow out salty foods(like kalua pig)
D. I prefer kulolo which is poi mixed with sugar and coconut milk to make a sort of pudding concotion that is very tasty :D

can anyone here vouch for the spicyness of arugula?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
rofl
A. not eating poi, I just had a subway sandwich(they dont offer poi not even in hawaii)
B. Poi has no flavor
C. its not something you just eat... its made to mellow out salty foods(like kalua pig)
D. I prefer kulolo which is poi mixed with sugar and coconut milk to make a sort of pudding concotion that is very tasty :D

can anyone here vouch for the spicyness of arugula?
It's got what I would call a peppery flavor, spicy in kind of the same way horseradish is spicy.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
:drool: mmmmmm kulolo Ok, so I pretty much like any dessert with coconut milk. Che Choui, Che ba mau (any Vietnamese dessert fans here?), mango & sticky rice drizzled in coconut milk, taro & coconut milk jello...I need to stop now. :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
arugula? F#@k that sh!t, ESCAROLE!

that is how frank booth would roll

1 - 17 of 17 Posts