The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on if anyone here has moved from a more technical career path over to business and if so, what you experience was. I'm entertaining the idea of making the jump from a very technical role in engineering to a more business oriented role and was curious if the rest of ET had any experiences to share.:up:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think just about everyone in an MBA program fits this. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I went from a very technical role, to a commerical (exec level) role. Was in that for four years (in Germany). I have now found the perfect role - Leading R&D programs. I get to pretend that I'm technical, write a few technical papers, etc., but am really managing time, cost and quality just like most directors.

Do it, or you'll never know. You can always move back.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I used to do L3 technical support (Java, SQL and "whine"). I left to join my wife's business and now am pretty much in charge of the whole enchilada. If I were to work for someone else, it would definitely be a management or sales role. Getting an MBA sounds like fun.

Read this book. If you enjoy it, make the switch. It changed my outlook on life. Business management is way more fun than tech work.

http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Process-Ongoing-Improvement/dp/0884270610

I now do coding just for fun. I enjoy life much more. I'm probably not as nerdy as I thought I was.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I used to work in Automotive Engineering. Then I went to painting women. Now I make stickers. lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts