The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my TT and the 32 we replaced the side view mirrors with the versions they use in Europe (they're OEM parts, but aren't provided as standard equipment in the U.S.). I've been spoiled by them - absolutely no blind spots and a nice wide field of vision - and was wondering if they come standard on the Elise in the U.K, for instance. Anyone know? I'd love to be able to order them if they are.

BTW, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a summary of aspheric mirrors written re: the Boxster: http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/boxster/mirrors.html

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
On my TT and the 32 we replaced the side view mirrors with the versions they use in Europe (they're OEM parts, but aren't provided as standard equipment in the U.S.). I've been spoiled by them - absolutely no blind spots and a nice wide field of vision - and was wondering if they come standard on the Elise in the U.K, for instance. Anyone know? I'd love to be able to order them if they are.

BTW, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a summary of aspheric mirrors written re: the Boxster: http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/boxster/mirrors.html
I have the blue tinted aspheric mirrors on my Passat and LOVE them!!!!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
You can have a glass shop make you custom ones. I had some wide angle DTM type mirrors made for my M3. It was under 30 dollars. That's just for the glass and labor, I installed the new glass myself. All they really need is the correct shape to use (sketch or sample) and some spheroid glass. Tinted, normal, whatever. When you widen the angle the size/shape of objects in the mirror's view can change.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point, Stan. For the TT and the 32 I had to worry about the heater electronics. Nothing like that to worry about in this case. ;)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>Any recommendations for a glass shop to make me some Elise aspherics? TIA<<

Well they wouldn't actually be asherical as that would be super expensive and provide no benefit. They are great in camera lenses though, wide angles in particular with large apertures.

Use spheroid glass. I simply bought some large wide angle lenses made for trucks to get the glass cheap. Roughly 4 dollars. Then I had the local glass place grind away the excess compared to the sample of flat glass I provided. You can get spheroid glass of different radii. So try out a few before cutting if you are going in that direction. The wider the angle (smaller radii) the further away and smaller things will look...

I haven't felt the need to do this for the Elise.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Stan said:
The wider the angle (smaller radii) the further away and smaller things will look...
And be especially careful to keep this in mind the first time you use them. When I was in England, the rental car had these. Pulling out of Heathrow onto the M25, I check my mirror - plenty of room, check my blind spot - no one there, pull into traffic, and all the sudden the rear view mirror (center) is filled with flashing high beams. :eek:

The rest of the trip I used the flat center mirror to judge distances. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts