The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nice to see Lotus isn't alone in their thought. Of course Aston is more luxury oriented than Lotus, but it's good to see other car companies realize that we are getting to the point where our cars are so automatic that they have lost their soul. Maybe some engineers got to talking while Lotus was telling them how to use aluminum on the Vanquish.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00182829
:clap:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Aston Martin DB9

Any Aston Martin Zagato

Very different driving experience but still fun and very beautiful. Just don't try to go around a corner as fast as the Elise can.:eek:

About a year ago I had a DB7 with 500 miles on it for a weekend. Fantastic to look at, goes very fast in a straight line but does not like to corner...too heavy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Very much looking forward to the AM V8

Could definitely see getting the 'baby Aston' if it's a real driver and not too outrageously priced. A 911 alternative, now that the 911 is a GT and not a sport car anymore

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow

That is stunning! I love the DB9 but I had not seen the DBR9 version. Now I just need to go out and make a few millions so I can justify getting one and the appropriate garage it deserves.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
by the way there is an Aston scheduled to take part in the american le mans series next year. wonder if lotus is going to play?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
LotusLust said:
by the way there is an Aston scheduled to take part in the american le mans series next year. wonder if lotus is going to play?
The pic atyclb posted is of that race car for next year!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
grudkin said:
Very much looking forward to the AM V8
I agree. It is gorgeous.

Though I'd say the GT3 is a pretty pure sportscar. The AMV8 is going to veer towards more luxury than even a std 911.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I hate to hijack this thread but....
I need help to talk me out of this crazy idea that popped into my head last week. I've been calling around looking for a GT3 to buy . Unfortunatelly I'm #58 at Matheny and think its going to take a hell of a long time to get my Elise :( and i am begining to get weak. I'm almost convincing myself that 45k to 100k isn't that bad. The other option would be to try and buy my way up higher from one of the Lotus dealers who do that but I don't feel right about doing that, plus at that point you take a fully loaded car and add another 10 to 15 K markup and you end up at 60k plus give or take and that is definetelly getting pretty high for the Elise. Bottom line is the wait is tough and not knowing when the car would get here doen't make things any easier. So please talk some sense back into me! Love the Astons by the way but they are soooo much money!

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred,

Fox Valley has their 1st car available right now 2:35 pm est for 56k. Move quick because I bet by tonight, it'll be gone.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I'd have a hard time talking anyone out of a GT3 Fred. It's a great car, but I have a harder time jumping from $44K'ish to $100K'ish!:)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I understand your quandry. I almost gave up hope on the Elise 2 years ago and was going to order a GT3. I'm glad I waited.

If you can afford the GT3 - go for it. Keep your spot in the Elise line. This way when your Elise comes due flip the GT3 if you prefer the Elise. The GT3 values will stay fairly stable. I doubt you'd lose anymore than the premium you'd have to pay for an Elise NOW. Besides, I think Porsche dealers are discounting GT3s slightly.

I've got my eyes set on a GT3 sometime in the future, unless of course Lotus tempts me with an Exige or new Esprit...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yup

GT3s are going at a slight discount now

If you can afford it comfortably, buy one. I know I would. Or just wait a few years and pick one up after the price stabilizes. They will hold their value better than any 911 since the RS America. I'll bet they'll hit 75-85K in 2-3 yrs, and then decline in value very gradually

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Guys thanks for your encouraging words. I love the Elise but Im soo far off on my delivery date it's making me a little nuts, I think the Elise looks better than the GT3 for sure and performance wise they are similar while very different at the same time.
Paying 13k markup on the Elise seems kind of crazy to me, and the GT3s can be found for modest discounts at this point so i think I agree with Shinoo's idea. Look at it this way : I may endup paying 15-20k for using the GT3 for a couple of years or pay 13k markup to pickup an Elise now. I'll take those 13K that would be paying for nothing and use it as rent money on the GT3. It almost sounds like a great deal at that point. How about a 996TT? feelings on that?

BTW I found a new black/black GT3 so far.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
fredg said:
How about a 996TT? feelings on that?

BTW I found a new black/black GT3 so far.
I'm not a big fan of AWD. The 993tt was a blast and the tail could still be provoked on demand, but there's just something I don't like about it. Get the GT3- or hey how about a GT2 while you're at it?:D

·
Registered
495 Posts
996TT is a capable GT car that can play sportscar very well. It will decline in value MUCH more than the GT3. Very nice and capable, but in the long run it's not as special as the GT3

GT3 will be a collector car, or close to it. It is the logical successor to the earlier 911 RS's -- a true sportscar and supercar bumper muncher. The rest of the 911 line-up, while very nice, has evolved into more of a GT range.

Avoid the ceramic brakes on the GT3, though

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
This is a serious case of thread jacking;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Patricko said:
This is a serious case of thread jacking;)
I really feel like Carjacking an Elise right now!

GT2 too much money plus those ceramic brakes are not what i want to get.

Agree on the comments on the TT so far.

I'll keep you posted on the GT3 prices, there is some controversy going on right now at Rennlist because first Porsche was only supposed to make a total of 700 GT3s and now they announced they are going to make a few hundred more. Also at first everyone thought they were not going to make a 997 GT3 but now there is word that they will in fact make one so some people are slight burnt about that. i'm going to look for some used GT3s as well just to see what i turn up but the best possible thing would be if my delaer called me and told me that all 578 people in front of me dropped out and I can go pick out an Elise right now!

·
Registered
413 Posts
ceramic brakes bad?

quote: Avoid the ceramic brakes on the GT3, though

Why? I thought they were much lighter and virtually indestructible. Expensive, admittedly.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts