The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of the guys on the forum who always mentions my height (6'5"), and my worst nightmare was that I could not fit in the Elise.

Two days ago I sat in the following cars at the Tampa Auto show with the following results.

No possible way to even drive (knees hitting door handles, consoles, etc.)
s2000
Z4
MR2

Can drive, but would be very difficult
350Z
Corvette-this one surprised me, but the shifter was too close to my right knee to go into first and second gears
Boxter
Miata

Snug fit, but totally driveable
RX-8
Elise 111s-shifter was a little too close to my leg--see below

Now, do any of you want to tell me if I could possible modify the Elise shifter to the right just a tiny bit? I was thinking about possibly having a little jog in the shifter to the right as it comes out of the boot, and then have it come straight up from there (just an inch or two).

Any ideas?

Craig

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have no ideas, but that still wasn't the US shifter. Maybe you will luck out. What was the problem exacty? The whole shift console, or the stick?

If it's after the console/boot, that should be something you can work around. My dealership said they could fix that. I didn't ask how, since it wasn't my concern. Hey, I'm short. :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know there was talk earlier about a short shifter, The B&M I have on my MR2 Spyder actually moved the shifter to the left. But you never know what may come of the elise.

·
Registered
670 Posts
pcpacker said:
I am one of the guys on the forum who always mentions my height (6'5"), and my worst nightmare was that I could not fit in the Elise.

Two days ago I sat in the following cars at the Tampa Auto show with the following results.

No possible way to even drive (knees hitting door handles, consoles, etc.)
s2000
Z4
MR2

Can drive, but would be very difficult
350Z
Corvette-this one surprised me, but the shifter was too close to my right knee to go into first and second gears
Boxter
Miata

Snug fit, but totally driveable
RX-8
Elise 111s-shifter was a little too close to my leg--see below

Now, do any of you want to tell me if I could possible modify the Elise shifter to the right just a tiny bit? I was thinking about possibly having a little jog in the shifter to the right as it comes out of the boot, and then have it come straight up from there (just an inch or two).

Any ideas?

Craig
You results are remarkable to me. I'm glad you say the Elise is do-able, as I am 6'2" and concerned as well. Where you surprise me is listing the S2000 as impossible, which I find narrow but with plenty of headroom and you list the Miata as OK. I can't even consider a Miata as I actually touch the roof with my head. The Boxter and Z4 are so roomy as to feel like SUV's to me.

How can you possiblt sit a Miata at 6' 5" ?

Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of these cars had the tops down. I was only looking into being able to drive the car. The S2000 locked my knees between the steering wheel and the door handle on the left. It also locked my right knee between the steering wheel and the console.

The Elise has that high doorsill that works as a step over to the door. There is also not a console coming down between the seats. It is really very roomy once inside.

The Z4 gave me plenty of room on the left, but my right leg just below the knee kept rubbing on the corner where the footwell and the console meet (I didn't describe that well).

Headroom on all of these is a different matter.

They had the new GTO at the show, but they weren't letting anyone sit in it.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'm pushing 6'3, and I have no problems whatever with the Elise except that my legs are slightly bent when in driving position, similar to the S2000 now. I find the Elise to have very similar everything to the S2000, in fact, except you sit maybe a bit lower (relative to controls and door height).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Glad to here you fit Craig! Do you have a deposit down yet?
BTW I talked to SHImports, they will NOT be bringing in a demo car as it will cost them to do it. They don't feel the need to get any more sales than those already falling into their hands. Oh well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm 6'0 and my only real concern with the Elise was that the gas and brake pedals were so close together.
I drove the car that was at the auto show and had to take off my shoes to reach the gas pedal. With tennis shoes, it didn't seem to be a problem.

Did any of you taller guys (presumably with larger feet) have a problem with this?

I got some really great pictures of the car. I'll upload them later tonight, when I get home.

Cordially,
John
PS I really hope the US model has an adjustable seat. I have a fixed position racing seat in my RX-7 and *hate it*!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I only have a 8.5 foot. First time dry shifting had some problems catching the brake (street shoes). When I drove it had basketball shoes- no problems. From the pics of the Red Fed Elise it looks like they may have spread the pedals apart a bit.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
When I sat in the euro model, I had a little difficulty with hitting the shifter with my right knee. I'm hoping it will be fixed for the US version. If not, I'm planning on pulling the shift lever out, running to my local machine shop and having them put a slight s-bend in it to offset it to the right a little. It may inconvenience my passenger slightly, but too bad for them.

Cade

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Craig

--Elise 111s-shifter was a little too close to my leg--see below

The new shifter is angled a bit more to the right.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Or just do what some of the tall guys in europe do: cut a few inches off the top of the gearstick.

It then fits underneath your knee if you are tall and should be fine.

At least in an LHD car it's only for 1st/2nd gear. On an RHD car you run into this problem in 5th, which is much more of a bother for longer distances..

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts