The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Great stuff, I switch between the amber and the blue when I flush to help me determine when the old has been flushed out! Do It :)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the boiling points aren't as high as the motul 600 so that's why I ask. It is a Dot 4 fluid and I'm not tracking the car so I was thinking about this fluid. I was also considering the blue and amber switching. thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I track the car w/ ATE. No complaints so far.

The blue will stain the plastic container - not sure if this bothers you or not. I use the gold.

ATE absorbs less moisture than Motul -- you can use it longer.

If you're not going to track it, you should just consider the Castrol Low Moisture Absorption formula.

If you drive on the street hard enough to boil your brake fluids -- then you probably have more pressing legal issues to worry about rather than your boiling brake fluids.

·
Registered
606 Posts
ATE seems the perfect balance between high enough boiling point, low hygroscopic-ness, low cost and ease of availability ..... I've been using it for trackdays for the past 8+years with no complaints nor problems.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I use ate, my cheap azz porterfield R4s will fade before the fluid boils....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look at a couple of motorcycle shops in the area because I doubt PepBoys and Kragen carry this product. I may end up having to order this online. I'll stick to the amber colored fluid.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have used ATE and Motul back-to-back, and have not noticed a difference in performance. ATE is half the price of Motul, though! I get it from Pegasus Racing at pegasusautoracing.com - good prices, fast shipping.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I alternate ....each year....one year blue, next year amber..... great stuff !

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I use ATE Blue and gold - no issues in this car or in my previous car (3rd Gen RX-7 w/ 400hp) on the track or the street. I would hazard that if there wasn't a problem in the RX-7, there won't be a problem with the Elise, given the relative designs of the two braking systems.

ed

·
Registered
856 Posts
I used it in my Miatas. Have not had to do the breaks yet, but will be doing them very soon, and will be using ATE Super Blue!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Rob. So you've flushed some cars using Pentosin and it cleared away all the ATE Blue? I've ordered some Amber for this brake flush but I'll consider the Blue for the next flush if it doesn't stain the reservoir.

Andy

·
Registered
856 Posts
VERY late response... SORRY!

Stains??? Not really. I use a turkey baster to suck all of the old fluid out, then wipe the resevour with a paper towel. It leaves a film, not stain.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts