The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased the car and noticed that whenever I make a hard left turn, the brake light comes on. Went to check the reservoir and noticed my fluid was low and blue (assuming it's the ATE Superblue). Well I went ahead and bought some online and did not realize that it was ATE amber and not the blue fluid. Is it bad if I mix the two colors because I read somewhere that "it is all the same, just different colors" to inform you when it's time to alternate during service. I'm just topping it off, not looking to do a full flush.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So I purchased the car and noticed that whenever I make a hard left turn, the brake light comes on. Went to check the reservoir and noticed my fluid was low and blue (assuming it's the ATE Superblue). Well I went ahead and bought some online and did not realize that it was ATE amber and not the blue fluid. Is it bad if I mix the two colors because I read somewhere that "it is all the same, just different colors" to inform you when it's time to alternate during service. I'm just topping it off, not looking to do a full flush.
The two colors of ATE are designed to be mixed - when you're doing a flush, you bleed until the "other" color comes out to know you've made it all the way down the lines.

If you've just got the car and are unsure of its brake fluid heritage, I'd flush it anyway. You're already buying the fluid and a brake bleed job isn't very hard. Good for peace of mind and to prevent problems down the road.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two colors of ATE are designed to be mixed - when you're doing a flush, you bleed until the "other" color comes out to know you've made it all the way down the lines.

If you've just got the car and are unsure of its brake fluid heritage, I'd flush it anyway. You're already buying the fluid and a brake bleed job isn't very hard. Good for peace of mind and to prevent problems down the road.
Well I bought my car from a dealer and they performed all maint on their behalf prior to delivery so that's why I was looking to just top it off. I was just making sure because I am new to this blue alien fluid.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

You are correct. I use a Mighty Vac to pull the 'old' fluid out and replace it. This tool can be had for around $60 to $80 dolllars plus it works good for the clutch system as well.

The 'real deal' uses a leather seal so if not used it does dry out and not work as well.

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts