The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I'll be there !!! my usual spot, next to AutoEurope.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
just going on Saturday.... since my car isn't out of hibernation yet. ( and won't be until maybe October )

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
The Woodward Dream Cruise

the ( ONLY ) great thing about Detroit !!!! If you've never experienced it.....it's just amazing. By far one of the coolest things you'll ever see.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The Woodward Dream Cruise

the ( ONLY ) great thing about Detroit !!!! If you've never experienced it.....it's just amazing. By far one of the coolest things you'll ever see.
Serious question - how much cool stuff do you see?

I ask because I'm debating going - would stay with my bro-in-law in Royal Oak.

I followed your link and on the photos page, first page I see a Chrysler Crossfire, a vette and a bunch of American 50/60's cars that I can see at any suburban cruise night. Is there any level of vintage euro/exotic?

For example, I go to Supercar Saturdays and seeing a bunch of Gallardos/Murcis/430/458/355 gets old after a while. I much prefer seeing vintage stuff - stuff I've never seen. If it's American and Vintage, I've seen it 150 times.

So, what's the real scoop?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
You see a lot of the usual stuff, but most of these cars only come out of their garage once a year, so they're perfect; showroom. You'll also see a lot of one of a kind things you've never seen before...especially at some of the off the beaten path cruises. If you can put a motor on it, you'll see it. One of my favorites ( and I see it every year ) is the yellow VW Bug...made of all wrought iron ! Tanks, solid chrome tractor trailers, art cars, Fifty Deloreans all at once, Exotic cars galore...

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
sorry for the big pics...don't have time right now to resize. ( DONE )

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
another

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
you don't go for exotic cars, though there is usually a show or five of all kinds, but for the experience. But if you're not into a million people enjoying cars, even crappy old American cars for the most part, stay home.

The real action and fun takes place in the few days leading up to it anyways. I wouldn't bother coming just to mill around on Saturday, but be here Thursday night and cruise around yourself and you'll get it.

I leave my Lotus at home and take out my '88 E30 M3. That draws a crowd.

Andy

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Going on Saturday sucks, unless you actually want to see a million rednecks doing burnouts. Then again, I live a half mile from Woodward and am on it all year long, so I see the shenanigans all the time anyway.

On Wednesday the BMWCCA takes over the Coffee Beanery on Woodward in Berkley, and I usually hang out there with the BMW and MINI folk.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hey Kestrel, what is that funky silver kit/supercar thingie?

I'm just wondering if I'll see anything that I wouldn't see at the great Supercar Saturdays shows in Chicago.

A preponderance of Vettes, Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros may be the most boring thing on the planet. If I want to see new model Camaros and Vettes, I'd just go one of the 19 Chevy dealers in my area! :)

Seriously, I love seeing funky/custom/historic. I just get put to sleep by American muscle cars - to me, the most uninteresting cars ever made.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Don't remember what that was ( a one of a kind thing ) A guy from GM designed it

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
It's pretty cool. I like the funky concept stuff. There's a guy here in Chicago - Joe Bortz - who collects concepts and he routinely brings them out to shows. Very cool.

BTW - this Mercer Cobra concept was at Pebble Beach (RM Auction) last year. Very cool:

·
Registered
831 Posts
The silver thing has Corvette running gear and is a one-off. John is right, it was built by a guy. It's pretty small.

SwingLo (Jeff?) you're not quite getting the flavor, I think. There will be a lot of muscle cars cruising, along with modified, restored, or barn condition everything. There are cars that come out for one day a year, there are buses, trucks, Minis, jalopies, Pacers, Greemlins, hot rods, rat rods, old Mercs, Corvairs, chopped, diced, and stretched. There are single-make clubs that stake out side lots, there is a judged concourse (usually) in Birmingham, the Jaguar people meet and compare the shine on their Stromberg carbs, there is a huge parking lot filled with muscle cars and guys happy to talk to you about every nut and bolt, and guaranteed at least a dozen cars you have never, ever seen before. There are no Gallardos, virtually no Ferraris, and no Porsches or BMW's except a few classic ones. If you go north to Pontiac, you will see drag burnouts and a biker gang, along with '70's sedans on 26 inch chromes with gullwing doors.

The very best day to see and talk cars is Thursday and Friday nights, when the cruise is not yet official, but Woodward is petty filled up. Come Saturday you're a spectator, and the best thing you can do is move around through side roads to take up a position every mile or two.

What you have to get is that it is not an event you see for the cars-- though obviously you can see thousands-- but for the people. It has nothing to do with Cars and Coffee or those dreadful Saturday supercar things where the Lambo and supercharged M3 dorks show up. If you like those things you will hate the Cruise. Instead, you stand a good chance of dropping by some car club and meeting a guy who built, designed or restored by himself an original one of the cars being shown. It's just a big old party celebrating cars, and best of all, it was and is a grassroots affair.

I'd be happy to show you around if you do come up, as I live about a mile off the center of the whole thing.

Andy

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will be there with my exige on saturday, parking it on the east side of the road around 12.5 mile. I plan on walking up to auto europe to look around there too.

Zack, text me if you are in the area. I deleted your texts and forgot to save the number

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The silver thing has Corvette running gear and is a one-off. John is right, it was built by a guy. It's pretty small.

SwingLo (Jeff?) you're not quite getting the flavor, I think. There will be a lot of muscle cars cruising, along with modified, restored, or barn condition everything. There are cars that come out for one day a year, there are buses, trucks, Minis, jalopies, Pacers, Greemlins, hot rods, rat rods, old Mercs, Corvairs, chopped, diced, and stretched. There are single-make clubs that stake out side lots, there is a judged concourse (usually) in Birmingham, the Jaguar people meet and compare the shine on their Stromberg carbs, there is a huge parking lot filled with muscle cars and guys happy to talk to you about every nut and bolt, and guaranteed at least a dozen cars you have never, ever seen before. There are no Gallardos, virtually no Ferraris, and no Porsches or BMW's except a few classic ones. If you go north to Pontiac, you will see drag burnouts and a biker gang, along with '70's sedans on 26 inch chromes with gullwing doors.

The very best day to see and talk cars is Thursday and Friday nights, when the cruise is not yet official, but Woodward is petty filled up. Come Saturday you're a spectator, and the best thing you can do is move around through side roads to take up a position every mile or two.

What you have to get is that it is not an event you see for the cars-- though obviously you can see thousands-- but for the people. It has nothing to do with Cars and Coffee or those dreadful Saturday supercar things where the Lambo and supercharged M3 dorks show up. If you like those things you will hate the Cruise. Instead, you stand a good chance of dropping by some car club and meeting a guy who built, designed or restored by himself an original one of the cars being shown. It's just a big old party celebrating cars, and best of all, it was and is a grassroots affair.

I'd be happy to show you around if you do come up, as I live about a mile off the center of the whole thing.

Andy
Thanks for that. My thing is interesting and unique. I like seeing stuff I've never seen before or stuff I've only seen in pictures. It's why I LOVED Pebble Beach - seeing a McL F1, and a couple of Ferrari 250GTOs and a '57 Testarossa Pontoon Fender and a '32 Merc and a Stutz Bearcat and a Bizzarini and a few Miuras and all Maseratis and a DeTomaso Vallelunga and a Talbot Lago and a Pegaso. Love seeing vintage stuff I've never seen before and beautiful one offs.

The local car show thing has me REALLY turned off. I just got back from one tonite - theme was 'Import Night pre-1985'. Beautiful night. Turn out wasn't great. There were two Jag 120s, a couple old 911, a Ferrari 308GTS and an MG TC. And my Mini Moke. The rest? A bunch of old Camaros, Mustangs, GTOs and other yawn inducing cars. Totally lame.

And you are right, the Supercar Saturday stuff is getting old too. The same old late model stuff over and over again - Gallardos, Murcis, 430, 458, SLS, Vantage, GT3 RS, Superformance Cobras. All dream cars, yes, but when you've seen them over and over the novelty wears off. I much preferred seeing the Ultima GTR that showed up last year, or the Factory Five GTM or the original REAL '55 300SL Gullwing. That's my kinda stuff.

Lastly, you are soooo dead on about the M3s. I don't know what happened because I used to like those cars, but for some reason, they've become the German version of rice. Apparently the German word for 'Rice' is 'Reis' - so from now on, I shall call M3 guys 'Reisers'. Seriously, all the M3 guys show up at the show en masse with their pimped out cars - wheels, blacked out, decals, etc and their flat brimmed hats. It literally looks as though the Scion/Civic crowd traded up.

Basically, I want Pebble Beach Week in my backyard every month!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for that. My thing is interesting and unique. I like seeing stuff I've never seen before or stuff I've only seen in pictures. It's why I LOVED Pebble Beach - seeing a McL F1, and a couple of Ferrari 250GTOs and a '57 Testarossa Pontoon Fender and a '32 Merc and a Stutz Bearcat and a Bizzarini and a few Miuras and all Maseratis and a DeTomaso Vallelunga and a Talbot Lago and a Pegaso. Love seeing vintage stuff I've never seen before and beautiful one offs.

The local car show thing has me REALLY turned off. I just got back from one tonite - theme was 'Import Night pre-1985'. Beautiful night. Turn out wasn't great. There were two Jag 120s, a couple old 911, a Ferrari 308GTS and an MG TC. And my Mini Moke. The rest? A bunch of old Camaros, Mustangs, GTOs and other yawn inducing cars. Totally lame.

And you are right, the Supercar Saturday stuff is getting old too. The same old late model stuff over and over again - Gallardos, Murcis, 430, 458, SLS, Vantage, GT3 RS, Superformance Cobras. All dream cars, yes, but when you've seen them over and over the novelty wears off. I much preferred seeing the Ultima GTR that showed up last year, or the Factory Five GTM or the original REAL '55 300SL Gullwing. That's my kinda stuff.

Lastly, you are soooo dead on about the M3s. I don't know what happened because I used to like those cars, but for some reason, they've become the German version of rice. Apparently the German word for 'Rice' is 'Reis' - so from now on, I shall call M3 guys 'Reisers'. Seriously, all the M3 guys show up at the show en masse with their pimped out cars - wheels, blacked out, decals, etc and their flat brimmed hats. It literally looks as though the Scion/Civic crowd traded up.

Basically, I want Pebble Beach Week in my backyard every month!
If that's what you want, you should have come to the Concourse at St.John's in suburban Detroit. It used to be called Concourse at Meadowbrook, and it is, along with Pebble Brook and Amelia Island, one of the three top showes in the country. Aside from the really old stuff that I don't have much interest in, they always have some fantastic groupings of racing and other cars that amuse the inner gearhead. This year, about two weeks ago, they featured 3-wheeled micrcars, '60's SCCA racers (aluminum bodied Alfa GTV's, Cortinas, SWB Porsche 911's etc), some IMSA racers, early hot rods, and '50-'60's European (ISO Rivolta, Mangusta, Dino, etc, including an early series Lancia Fulvia Zagato owned by a guy who bought it off eBay last year-- a car I was watching!) The feature display of the modern section was Modern Era station Wagons-- Chevy Nomad and a whole bunch of others too great to pass up. If you want to see a road-going McLaren from the 1960's, built by Bruce himself and imported into the US in the late '60's, owned by one family since then, there was your chance too.

There is also a vintage race held the day before at a local road course, auction and so on. It's a great show, and a 4 hour drive from Chicago.

The point about the M3's is valid. But I have to say, whnever I take out my first generation E30 M3 on Woodward, I get a crowd. I parked it in the lot across from the Shell station (for the local guys who know what I'm talking about, the tuner lot that has Verizon and Potbelly's) and had a whole bunch of 20-something guys snapping pictures and drooling. I didn't have the heart to tell them that any modern VW GTI is faster. Some young fast and furious guys do get it, though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was there last night, and man was it crowded,I can't imagine what it is going to be like on Saturday.I saw a white Exige between 11 and 12 mile on woodward, Anyone here?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts