The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
You're drooling brother. :) If the three optional colors do turn out to be Ice Blue, Lime Green (which I cannot find a single picture of on Google), and CO, I'll be going w/ one of the standards. CO would be tempting to me if it were flat rather than metallic.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
lol

I think they used too many coats, the doors look painted shut.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
_JD_ said:
You're drooling brother. :) If the three optional colors do turn out to be Ice Blue, Lime Green (which I cannot find a single picture of on Google),

From Randy's color guide (looks a little different than on the McDonalds Hot Wheels Lotus):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I would love to have Ice Blue, but let's not run up the price! If they can do Chrome Orange for $500, why not Ice Blue too?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is it more difficult to paint the cars in those colors? I just don't quite understand why they will be charging extra for them.

-Eric

·
Registered
751 Posts
Honestly, I dont see why they dont offer us all the standard European colors. They are building the cars via the orders, am I right? Or are they randomly sending a batch of multicolor cars to the dealers. That wouldnt make sense. Doesn't seem like it would slow down production if all the colors are on hand in Europe anyway.

If they feel the need to charge us for the non "standard" colors, I wouldn't be willing to pay more than a thousand. Even that seems excessively high just to get a color that lotus paints their
European cars... Are they not painting our cars in Europe?

I can see Lotus charging more for a custom ordered car once the pre-order line of people has run out and buyers are walking up and purchasing a car off of a lot. Cmon Lotus, don't you want to help out the people who are ensuring that your sweet little ride sells?

Sigh.. I just want my lazer blue...

-Whit

·
Registered
670 Posts
zcar222 said:
Honestly, I dont see why they dont offer us all the standard European colors. They are building the cars via the orders, am I right? Or are they randomly sending a batch of multicolor cars to the dealers. That wouldnt make sense. Doesn't seem like it would slow down production if all the colors are on hand in Europe anyway.

They're building the Federal Elise away from the Eupopean ones. It's a problem with traffic flow and rt hand vs lt hand drive. I don't think they allow any dart boards nor bangers and mash in our building either. The Brits also feel we're too conservative for those bright colors. If you're going to get one you're going to pay the freight for carrying the paint can over to the Federal building.

Steve

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sownman said:
They're building the Federal Elise away from the Eupopean ones. It's a problem with traffic flow and rt hand vs lt hand drive. I don't think they allow any dart boards nor bangers and mash in our building either. The Brits also feel we're too conservative for those bright colors. If you're going to get one you're going to pay the freight for carrying the paint can over to the Federal building.

Steve
Actually, the lines are in the same building, parallel to each other. There is no problem producing LHD and RHD cars on the same line, they have been doing that for years. The continentals do drive on the right side of the road too. And the VX220/Speedster line will become a Fed line once those models are finished. There really shouldn't be any reason for the difference in paint options. And I still want my Type 25.:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sownman said:

Steve
:confused:
A problem with left and right drive models ?
All of Europe (xcept U.K.) is driving on the same side of the road as you lot do. One would think that after 8 years of Elise production, they worked that one out.

cheers,
Fabian

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think they are changing the colors for the new year anyway...has little to do with the US cars being sprayed different colors than the EU cars. For example, lightning yellow was replaced with Saffron yellow because of the special edition car. Chrome orange was not even available in the EU on the S2, so that IS special for us.

As for right versus left, that is not the problem. Besides, the clams are sprayed seperate from the vehicle...the clam is put on after assembly. And there is only one building that houses the elise assembly line.

My guess is they will have color runs in the spray room. The colors the US has will be the same for the EU. Any color change will require a slight deviation in the paint assembly line, which is why they are charging a bit more.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
It is almost a lock, but not definite that there will be at least 2 optional extra cost colors. One will likely be Chrome Orange and the other............... Lazer Blue. There may be additional colors but these are the front runners. As for all the pictures posted on this thread above of the blue Elise, that color of the car in the photos is Lazer Blue not Ice. Ice is essentially a silver with slight tint.

Part of the reason for the color changes is based in new EU regulations which require a change in formulation when the production passes a threashold (as will occur when the Elise goes into production for the US). The cost for the custom paint will likely exceed the orginal $500-700 numbers discussed a few months ago and could go much much higher.

I'll be posting a new article in Pistnheads in the begining of January to discuss the official options and pricing.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
wallabyguy said:
It is almost a lock, but not definite that there will be at least 2 optional extra cost colors. One will likely be Chrome Orange and the other............... Lazer Blue. There may be additional colors but these are the front runners. As for all the pictures posted on this thread above of the blue Elise, that color of the car in the photos is Lazer Blue not Ice. Ice is essentially a silver with slight tint.

Part of the reason for the color changes is based in new EU regulations which require a change in formulation when the production passes a threashold (as will occur when the Elise goes into production for the US). The cost for the custom paint will likely exceed the orginal $500-700 numbers discussed a few months ago and could go much much higher.

I'll be posting a new article in Pistnheads in the begining of January to discuss the official options and pricing.
What about Type 25 or stripes?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Derek,

I think I might have mentioned this before but there will be a full line of accessories that will be offered and are stil (as of last week) being finalized. Thee line will include performance products, clothing, appearance upgrades, etc. Stripes may be part of it. Nothing is offical but don't look for a Type 25 car during the first years production if at all in the US. The stripes may make it here as a accessory. I am not able to say officially that these things will or will not be offered but can assure you that they are under consideration. BTW, Lotus Cars (UK) has been working with LCU to finalize the line during the past month and it is this delay that has caused the "Lotus Shop" to be delayed in start up. Look for the site to be up by early next year when things are finalized.

·
Registered
113 Posts
paint delete option?

So if it costs $500 for a custom (CO) color, perhaps we need a paint delete option for $1000 less. No paint chip worries. Less weight. Take it home and paint it yo self.

but if it has to have paint, here's another vote for Lazer Blue.

....and what's that about the Brits thinking we have conservative color choices in the US? especially when many of the cars will end up here in the State of fruits and nuts.

·
Registered
670 Posts
echthelion said:
:confused:
A problem with left and right drive models ?
All of Europe (xcept U.K.) is driving on the same side of the road as you lot do. One would think that after 8 years of Elise production, they worked that one out.

cheers,
Fabian

It was a joke guys, maybe not very good if nobody got it.

Steve

1 - 20 of 41 Posts