The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Governator signed the bill. What an *sshole. When I finish my degree, I'm out of here. I'm leaving this aweful aweful state. It's bad enough I pay more taxes and deal with a higher cost of living, but now they've ruined it for my favorite hobby. I'm so mad right now. It was the stupidest bill ever! It will do nothing to change the air polution in this state. The current smog legislation has failed to do so because there are too many loopholes that gas-guzzling, high-polution vehicles get to pass through. We have to get rid of all the trucks and SUVs first. Grrrrrrr.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
MW, I'm not a classic car buff myself so admit my ignorance here, but...does this really hurt the classic car hobbiests? Are the cars unable to pass the smog check if they're in a decent state of tune? I know one issue is the desire to modify cars at will without CARB concerns, and I certainly envy that. However, that alone is not a necessary part of car ownership.

As I understand it, he just repealed the 30 year exemption, and cars built in 1976 and older would still be exempt from smog checks. So, it really just affects the next wave of 'classic cars', and people have enough advance notice to decide whether or not they want to catch that wave.

BTW - I totally agree with you that it will do nothing to change the air quality in this state. The effect will be so incredibly minor compared to the gains that could be found by going after the gross polluters - like power plants!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, I gotta say that it's a bit discouraging because some cars (my '84 Mustang SVO for example) barely passed emissions when new. Any little glitch and it will fail the emissions test. (I've come close SOOO many times now.) And now that parts are obsolete (I bought the last 88 Throttle Position Sensors in the country), it relegates those cars to the scrap-heap or "off road only" status if it doesn't pass.

It's not our fault (as car owners) that the factory tuned the car to barely pass. But it becomes our problem that the car barely passes 20 years later. It's a complete bummer.

Although I have good compression and good leak-down numbers (good, not great) I have to rebuild the motor on my SVO because I know I won't pass emissions the next time. And I have to replace virtually every sensor and clean-out the obsolete (and outdated, and woefully inaccurate) vane air meter to ensure that I don't have any problems that cause an overly rich condition which will fail my car. All this for a car that sees maybe 100 miles a year. Lovely. I guess I'm selling the SVO also...

Bob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
As I undersand it, the bill eliminates the 30-year "rolling" exemption and freezes the exemption at cars built in 1976 or earlier. I don't see how this ruins it for car enthusiasts - currently, owners of cars later than model year 1976 are required to maintain their cars so they pass the smog test. With this bill, these owners will continue to have to maintain their cars' emission systems so they will pass the same smog test, rather than having them exempt come Year 2006 onward. Owners of earlier cars are not affected by this bill in any way, as I understand it. Many enthusiasts believe this is a "slippery slope" issue, though.

EDIT: Bob after reading your post, I can see how it could be dicey for some.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I'm out of here. I'm leaving this aweful aweful state. It's bad enough I pay more taxes and deal with a higher cost of living, but now they've ruined it for my favorite hobby. I'm so mad right now. It was the stupidest bill ever! <snip> Grrrrrrr. [/B]

That big blue cloud you see on I10E are all the '77 car owners moving outta of the state! :D

But seriously... I did't want this to happen, but now that it has (because it's an election year and the Republicans are trying look moderate... I won't go there...), I've got 2 thoughts...

1) We've got to start over. I'm sure the hot rod associations & muscle cars guys have.

2) Personally, I'm not sure I care (yikes!). I'm trying to think of a car from '77-90 I'd want. Most the cars in that time were pretty crappy. The SMOG stuff strangled the engines, the safety stuff made the bumpers REALLY ugly. I guess the Ferrari 308s were okay, but were pigs. I know I wouldn't own a British car from that decade. Don't know, gotta think about it some more.

Kiyoshi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts