The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is a pretty technical post so if you're not a geek you might as well quit reading now...

Problem: I have a client site that I'm setting up W2k3 server Small biz. I'm loading up the Exchange server to grab email from an off site POP3 server. Not working. So I try Outlook Exp. and get the same result. I try Thunderbird and it still doesn't work. Looks like a problem with authentication. BUT - I can telnet to port 110 and manually log in and check email. So WTF? I have a simple network sitting behind a LinkSys router doing DHCP. No extra settings at all, just base config. I tried other computer at the site and it doesn't work and I tried it off site and it does work. Wierd as hell.

Any advice?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by Lotus Fury
Ok, this is a pretty technical post so if you're not a geek you might as well quit reading now...
LOL!

Sorry, I'm a geek, but I'm not that geeky! rotfl

·
Registered
687 Posts
Lotus Fury said:

Problem: I have a client site that I'm setting up W2k3 server Small biz. I'm loading up the Exchange server to grab email from an off site POP3 server. Not working. So I try Outlook Exp. and get the same result. I try Thunderbird and it still doesn't work. Looks like a problem with authentication. BUT - I can telnet to port 110 and manually log in and check email. So WTF? I have a simple network sitting behind a LinkSys router doing DHCP. No extra settings at all, just base config. I tried other computer at the site and it doesn't work and I tried it off site and it does work. Wierd as hell.

Any advice?
A network trace using Microsoft's Network Monitor (or a packet sniffer of your choice) will usually tell you in great detail what exactly is happening when dealing with network issues.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
Try adjusting the Johnson rod. And check the oil while you're down there.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Attn Computer geeks...

Dan said:
A network trace using Microsoft's Network Monitor (or a packet sniffer of your choice) will usually tell you in great detail what exactly is happening when dealing with network issues.
That's what I figured. Grrrr.... Why can't it just work?
:confused:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Lotusfury,

I've been getting a "VDeck" screen whenever I click on your link. Is your site down?

Jim

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Lotus Fury said:

Any advice?
I'm not quite clear on one thing...

Are you trying to set up Exchange to download e-mail from the server and distribute it into local mailboxes, or are you trying to set up outlook to download directly from the server?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm having Exchange get the POP3 mail and storing it locally. It's a round about way of doing it but the client wanted to have the domain hosted remotely (bandwidth issues) so I also had the mail hosted there. I'm grabbing the mail from there and storing it locally so that they can have group contacts etc. It also makes it so I don't have to futz with the firewall - all internet traffic is pulled so my firewall just denies all incoming traffic.

But I was also trying to have Outlook download the email from the remote server just to test why Exchange server was having issues.

--------------------

Yeah, my site is down. Will be back up in a few days. I was having an issue with the former hoster not releasing my domain to my new hoster.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Why not just set up the DNS so the MX points to the exchange server? More direct, more secure, faster, and just better that way.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
transio said:
Why not just set up the DNS so the MX points to the exchange server? More direct, more secure, faster, and just better that way.
More secure?

I don't see it that way... Pointing an MX record at the exchange server would also require that he open up the SMTP port for incoming e-mail, thus creating an "in" for external attackers. Plus, when has Exchange server ever been seen as secure when left open to the outside world?

Also, to do that they would have to have a static IP for the mail server... and a lot of companies don't have that. I would personally never recommend for a small company to host their own server for any purpose. Hosting providers typically have far more reliable connections (+ redundancy), servers, security, backups, etc... than a small company would be able to maintain.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
More secure?

I don't see it that way... Pointing an MX record at the exchange server would also require that he open up the SMTP port for incoming e-mail, thus creating an "in" for external attackers.
SMTP (port 25) is for outgoing mail and is required regardless for sending mail, unless they do everything through the web interface provided by the host, in which case they might as well use Hotmail. POP3 (port 110) is what would have to be opened for incoming mail. From what he said, though, it's already open.

Plus, when has Exchange server ever been seen as secure when left open to the outside world?
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I meant more secure than relaying the email through the host to the Exchange server. Either way, the Exchange server is open to the outside world. In my scenario, the email never touches the host's hard drives, though.

Also, to do that they would have to have a static IP for the mail server... and a lot of companies don't have that. I would personally never recommend for a small company to host their own server for any purpose. Hosting providers typically have far more reliable connections (+ redundancy), servers, security, backups, etc... than a small company would be able to maintain.
Sure, but he said he couldn't get mail working through the host. I was just providing an option. :)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
transio said:
SMTP (port 25) is for outgoing mail and is required regardless for sending mail, unless they do everything through the web interface provided by the host, in which case they might as well use Hotmail. POP3 (port 110) is what would have to be opened for incoming mail. From what he said, though, it's already open.
SMTP is required as an outbound port for sending e-mail, not inbound unless the mail server is hosted internally.

Incoming mail does not get delivered to the server via 110, only to the client which downloads the mail. SMTP receives and sends e-mail.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I meant more secure than relaying the email through the host to the Exchange server. Either way, the Exchange server is open to the outside world. In my scenario, the email never touches the host's hard drives, though.
I may have read what Lotus Fury originally said the wrong way, but I took what he said to mean that he had his exchange server going out to the internet and downloading the e-mail which would then be dropped into local mailboxes to be transferred to the clients via the LAN. If that was the case, there would still be no inbound connection and therefore no security problem.
Sure, but he said he couldn't get mail working through the host. I was just providing an option. :)
I was just trying to sort the issue in my head, I'm always too critical - don't mind me ;)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may have read what Lotus Fury originally said the wrong way, but I took what he said to mean that he had his exchange server going out to the internet and downloading the e-mail which would then be dropped into local mailboxes to be transferred to the clients via the LAN. If that was the case, there would still be no inbound connection and therefore no security problem.
That's it. I do this for a couple reasons:
1. Security - As long as my firewall doesn't allow inbound connections then nothing can get in - unless there is a problem on the firewall. Worms & stuff out, but none in. Big fat "Connection Refused" message.

2. Disaster Recovery - It only takes a few minutes to set up a firewall like that. Most are setup like that as a default config.

All that is great save for one minor detail - IT'S NOT WORKING!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAH

I'll end up having to run a packet sniffer to see what's up. I wanted to avoid that becuase all the ones I've used in the past have sucked. Hopefully they've gotten better.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Duh.

Obviously, you need the Dystron Gravitron Discombobulator.

As Seen On TV.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
I'll end up having to run a packet sniffer to see what's up. I wanted to avoid that becuase all the ones I've used in the past have sucked. Hopefully they've gotten better.
EtherPeek is pretty cool, give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SUCCESS!!!!

And the culprit was:

Linksys BEFSR11 1 Port DSL/Cable Router

Not sure why. I started looking around the net for other people that had this issue and ended up with that answer. i took my personal router to the site, hooked it up and it worked. That's really wierd but the router wasn't allowing return traffic from the POP3 server.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
SUCCESS!!!! That's really wierd but the router wasn't allowing return traffic from the POP3 server.
Then how did you succssfully telnet to your POP3 server? That's the one that threw me...how you could Telnet to port 110, but not get there with OE. I had assumed you were doing everything from the same machine, true?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ChrisB said:
Then how did you succssfully telnet to your POP3 server? That's the one that threw me...how you could Telnet to port 110, but not get there with OE. I had assumed you were doing everything from the same machine, true?
Same machine, everything. No clue why it worked when I telneted vs. using OE & Thunderbird. I took the router home and the same thing occured. Freaking wierd. Google for "Linksys BEFSR11 POP3 Error" and you'll see other people with the same problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts