The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I log in to my home laptop remotely from work using Windows Remote Desktop Connection, I cannot access the Windows Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. It is completely gone.

When I come back home and log in, it is still gone, and I have to log off and back on to have it reappear.

I cannot, for the life of me, find a solution online to fix this?

Help!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Sometimes I have to minimize and maximize the Remote Desktop a couple of times. Kinda just have to play with it a bit. (That probably didn't sound good depending on what you're doing with your Remote Desktop! :D)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Open your settings for the Remote Desktop Connection (these are established when you run the RD program; if you have a shortcut set up for what you're doing don't click that, click the normal RD program under 'accessories' I think, then click 'Open' and choose the shortcut you normally use). Under the Display tab, try reducing the resolution of the desktop size. It's strange that this would be a problem when logging in to the laptop directly though.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes I have to minimize and maximize the Remote Desktop a couple of times. Kinda just have to play with it a bit. (That probably didn't sound good depending on what you're doing with your Remote Desktop! :D)

Did it. No workie

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Open your settings for the Remote Desktop Connection (these are established when you run the RD program; if you have a shortcut set up for what you're doing don't click that, click the normal RD program under 'accessories' I think, then click 'Open' and choose the shortcut you normally use). Under the Display tab, try reducing the resolution of the desktop size. It's strange that this would be a problem when logging in to the laptop directly though.
Tried it. No fixie!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Is it set to autohide (right click taskbar properties) ? Can't say i've ever seen this before

you could try ultramon since it has a smart taskbar facility.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it set to autohide (right click taskbar properties) ? Can't say i've ever seen this before
Nope... I'm not that dense. I've tried about everything I can think of.

Sucks when you log in and you gotta run something. You either have to have an icon, or know a command line entry to get to it... or browser forever.

I maintain about 125 computers for my companies and my remote to Laptop is the only one that does it.

It didn't use to do it, though...

Weird!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Yeah that is strange i just logged into my remote desktop at home that has a minimised tray bar and it is tricky to pop up but it will and sending it a ctrl esc always works.

another dense one, but sometimes the bar can be set to 0 pixels high.

try moving it around see if it works on the top/side/left

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope.. I don't every autohide it.

What's weird is that when I come back home, the login screen is set. and when I log in at home, it's still gone. No way to get it back except to Ctrl+Alt+Del, Shut Down, Log off User, and to log back in.

Werd...

I mean weird!

:D
W

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Can you press the windows key (or ctrl+esc) to get the Start button to pop up? Have you tried moving your Taskbar to another edge (like top or a side instead of the bottom)? Lastly, try ctl+alt+del to get the task manager, under the file menu is a "run" command, try running "explorer".

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK... I just installed Service Pack 3 and it's back...

Wired...

I mean Werd...

I mean Weird...

Thanks all for trying... must have been some weird registry error or something.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Screensaver. Mine does it too.

Hit the windows key on the client and navigate to the screensaver - click on preview and immediately move the mouse or click again to stop the screensaver. It'll redraw the taskbar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts