The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aubergine delivered at Overseas Motors! (Update)

Well it has been an exciting couple of days!

I got the call on 10/28 that my dealer had received my invoice and it was dated that day. A few weeks, ago I got a projected ETA of the first week of November.... maybe, if we were lucky. We dropped bythe dealer (Overseas Motors in Dallas TX) to see a LRG they had on the floor. I get home and less than 2 hours later my sales guy calls and says "if I had only had come a couple of hours later, I would has seen my car get unloaded!"

Now I go into panic mode, I am thinking how can I get with my CU to complete the financing and get the drafting instructions to get the car ASAP. My wife calls the Credit Union and tells them we would like to get funded that afternoon. They balk and say that they have other appointments for house closing and they are not sure it can be done. I am thinking I am out of luck until Monday:( Well, after much pleading they said they would try and get it done but they needed certain documents faxed from the dealer. We call the Finance Manager at the dealer and tell them they have to get the papers to the CU in 5 minutes if they want to get the car sold in October! Long story long... both the dealer and my CU loan agent jump through hoops and we get funding!

Now the problem is that the dealer has one guy that does all their PDIs and he is overwhelmed working on two other Elises. The Service Manager projects that we may be able to pick the car up Saturday afternoon late, if the stars and planets align. Much pleading and assisted by Thursday night's lunar eclipse......

We picked the car up Friday evening!!!!!! My wife is the greatest! She arranged for me to go on a test ride in England in Feb(?) 2003... It was great, I decided I would order one when they were announced. Then she surprised me by placing a deposit in July, 2003. As a result, I was #7 customer car at Overseas (#8 behind the demo). Then she went into action Friday to cajole and plead and influence getting the car from the dealer within hours of it hitting the ground. Even more amazing is that we have a 7 week old son and she is still suffering from complications from her C-Section. Yet she still wanted to make this happen as quickly as possible for me.

We took a couple of pictures, but the car was not clean and the plastic was still on the seats (my request).... actually there is still plastic on the passenger seat even now. I haven't had a chance to start cleaning it up. I needed to take care of our son so my wife could rest. I will get the car cleaned up and get better pictures Saturday, if the weather cooperates. We had storms late Friday night. I may still get the radio programed tonight if I can't sleep!

More info an pictures to follow later this weekend!

Greg

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Congratulations! I can definitely hear the excitement in your voice. You are lucky to have such a good wife. If I would have met her first, I wouldn't still be single. Not many out there like that! Best of luck to you....enjoy!

Ron

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm very happy for you.

However, this illustrates how lame the deposit system has turned out to be. Your wife places a deposit in July 2003 and you get your car in October. Shinoo, Mikester and I placed our deposits six months earlier in January 2003 and we are still waiting.

And yes, I know it is easy to blame our woes on Symbolic.

I'm hoping the fact the Modern Wedgie got her car is a sign that mine is not too far away.

Life is unfair. And then you die. Lotus heaven probably has a waiting list, but since I'm expecting to enjoy the hot weather elsewhere, I'll probably get in right away. No doubt they provide an Element for your eternal enjoyment down there.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,455 Posts
The funk at Long Beach port has also delayed our cars. Oh well. They're close. I hoping mid Nov. :(

Oh and congrats Greg! We need some pix!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yes, spare no expense (or MEGABYTE) with your photos -- I believe you have the first aubergine among all elisetalkers!!!

CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK a few pics. Sorry for the quality, it was overcast. They will give you one perspective of the color. In bright sun it looks brighter, more towards Nehi Grape Soda. I will take more in full sun, when it clears again.

I have to tell you, 7 weeks old babies require a lot of care! With having to help my wife, it took me 4 hours to wash and wax the new wheels! However, a neighbor came over to watch William for a little while, so my wife and I could go for a ride together (as she puts it, she's never too sick to go for a ride!). We stopped to pick up dinner and the kid at the KFC couldn't get over the counter fast enough to take a picture with his camera phone to email to his friends! Possible that we caused some sore necks today on the roads!

I do have the uncropped full sized pictures (2048x1536) if wanted. As I said, we will take more when the weather clears.

At night, the car looks almost black until you get close and your headlights bring out the purple.

All in all I am pleased with the color. However, I had hoped that it would be almost black, more like the "Black Cherry" Corvettes of the early nineties.

I find the ride of the Sports Package to to be about as firm as a Z06, but a bit harsher on sharp bumps ( those 0.5-1 inch pavement changes around a manhole or repaired concrete). I think it is the tires and weight difference, so the tires have no absorption of the impact.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What you can't see is that he is wearing his "Lotus Sport" sleeper that we ordered off the English website. Was a hit at the dealership! William was the first in the family to get to sit in the car...okay, he's more slouching, barely holding himself up at 7 weeks, but hey, cut him some slack, he was a preemie!

You'll notice that they haven't even had a chance to remove the plastic from the seats, William was that anxious to get in the car. We were lucky that they let us go back while they were PDI'ing the car, and we asked them not to clean it, or take the plastic off the seats, and they were great about it!

It appears they must clean and wax the cars at the Distribution Centre, as there was wax residue on the car before they PDI'd it. We Zaino'd it at home and really like the shine.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is the car in the garage, my wife apologizes for how filthy her car is, says it looks like a monster in size next to the Lotus! We still have to finish the silver in the emblem, which has been awaiting the car to park underneath it for a year!

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hooray for you and double congrats (car and baby)!
Both are beautiful. Thanks for photos.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also including a picture of the locking valve stems my brother bought for me last Christmas...they will just spin if you try to take them off without the special tool.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
I love the color! Congrats again!!

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
Racer X said:
Also including a picture of the locking valve stems my brother bought for me last Christmas...they will just spin if you try to take them off without the special tool.
BE very sure to put a liberal coat of anti-sieze on those. I had a set on my BMW M Coupe and one day when I went to check the tire pressure they simply wouldn't budge. The dealer tried everything and ended up having to cut off the valve stems.

--Josh

P.S. Your car is awesome. Aubergine is my favorite dark Elise color.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congratulations on your two new babies! Can't wait to see the purple in the sun! - X101

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
JWA said:
BE very sure to put a liberal coat of anti-sieze on those. I had a set on my BMW M Coupe and one day when I went to check the tire pressure they simply wouldn't budge. The dealer tried everything and ended up having to cut off the valve stems.

Thanks for the tip...would hate to see that happen!

Greg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Racer X said:
Here is the car in the garage, my wife apologizes for how filthy her car is, says it looks like a monster in size next to the Lotus! We still have to finish the silver in the emblem, which has been awaiting the car to park underneath it for a year!
Absolutely beautiful color. I really like the look of the dark color with the sport wheels. Congrats and best of luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts