The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings y'all,

V8 Vantage. Elise. 350Z Nismo. It's a good weekend. Just in case though, I also drove an R8 today. The car is stunning. The dark grey (noticeably darker than my Graphite Grey) with black blades is the absolute shee-ite! I'm not huge on the seat color, but who cares. I really must say that the vehicle has true road presence. Seeing it in motion is a special treat. Driving around Boulder it got more looks than the V8 Vantage Volante (although the Aston got its share of attention too).

The R8 drives exceptionally smoothly / effortlessly. Sounds like a gas turbine (Although I had to keep it under 6k rpm). The Aston still sounds better. The R8 truly looks like a spaceship / the car of the future. It is very, very well done. More later (it's coming to the track this weekend) after the break-in miles are rolled up.

Enjoy the pics (more here: amoroso : photos : Audi R8 (and friends)- powered by SmugMug)

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
awesome...now get some vids!

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
I've seen the r8 a few times on the road. It is a breathtaking view sitting; never seen it rolling though. While not a beauty, it sure demands your attention.
How is the engine note? Is it the same engine in the Audi rs4?

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's quite an impressive collection you've got going there. How do you decide which one to take to work?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What I wouldn't give for a garage like that.... :D
Yeah, I hear you. Me too. Save for the Elise, the others were just visiting my garage.

Ps. I want your job :)
Yeah, that's what everyone thinks and I can't say that I disagree. The problem is though (save for an extremely select few) that a journalist's salary won't even keep a journalist in the lifestyle they're accustomed to, much less anyone else. Fortunately (or unfortunately) auto journalism is my "other gig."

When I was driving the DBS, someone came up to me and said they hated me. I explained that the car wasn't mine and that I was an auto journalist testing it. I then added that I hated me too. :)

How is the engine note? Is it the same engine in the Audi rs4?
It is the same motor as the RS4, save that it is a dry sump version. I could only rev it to 6k RPM (it has less than 200 miles on it), but from what I could tell it sounded and felt pretty damn good up to 6k rpm. Still though it is tough to compare to the V8 Vantage's "hammers of hell" exhaust roar.

That's quite an impressive collection you've got going there. How do you decide which one to take to work?
As per the above, I wish it was my collection! The Elise rarely gets driven on the street, save for commuting from tracks. It will get out for about five to eight days this year (it got 15 track days in '06 and 5 in '07). Normally, I'm driving the press cars during the week. This week I happened to have the Aston fall in my lap as my regularly scheduled ride for the week is a Nismo 350Z, that's been a bit neglected as a result. I'll be driving the Z over the next few days. I'll post up my thoughts (I suppose it is time for me to fire up a blog).

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
When I was driving the DBS, someone came up to me and said they hated me. I explained that the car wasn't mine and that I was an auto journalist testing it. I then added that I hated me too. :)
I always find that practically the first words out of my mouth when I have fancy cars is "it is not mine", I guess I would rather be the guy with the cool job than the guy with lots of money. Other journalists I have talked to have mentioned they do the same thing
While it is fun to get the fancy cars, it is a bit of a burden having to worry about them all the time (especially when having to drive it in a city)

Nismo Z is pretty decent, albeit a bit boy racer

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Uhm.... do you have a spare bedroom? :p
That depends. Are you bringin' the arancio Gallardo? I'm more of a giallo guy (black interior, yellow stitching, manual trans).

Of course, if you were an aging male boomer (that's funny. WWaAMBD? Probably the opposite of you), you'd want to come over and play with this...

She ran a 14.71 sec 1/4 mile this evening. Not too shabby for a rookie drag "racer" (that'd be me), ~5,500 feet and almost 90 degrees.

Attachments

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I have something better. I think you already know what it is. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts