The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have the Kenwood KIV-701 with the bypass mod to allow videos being played while car is in motion.

My question is how come my deck gets reset when I turn the car off :confused:

Obviously it's a power connection issue but can anyone elaborate in detail what it could be?

And does anyone know what antenna adatper I need to marry the aftermarket with the OEM (No radio reception)? I searched Crutchfield but nothing...

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Totally reset, like it loses its saved settings? I don't know if this is related (I don't have that deck), but on my Alpine deck, the cycle from off to start to ignition and back to start causes my deck to initialize incorrectly sometimes, resulting in things like the subwoofer not working. I work around this by ensuring I always turn the deck off before shutting off the car and turning it on after the car has started. Otherwise you have this situation where you only briefly apply power during the startup sequence and maybe it's causing your deck to behave funny. Deck settings should be written to NVRAM, which would normally be unaffected by power loss. Another possibility is that if your deck has battery backed up settings, perhaps the internal battery needs replacement.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Presets, clock, audio setting all get reset when the car gets turned off. So everytime I start the car I have to set my audio setting how I like them. It gets annoying. I have the car interior all ripped out now installing amp/sub/back up camera so I figuared I would see if I could locate the issue but I'm lost... At trying to fix this little annoying problem :confused:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Take it to City Car Radio in San Francisco, mine had the same problem and they fixed it. Basically the previous installer had swapped the constant power with the ignition power.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it to City Car Radio in San Francisco, mine had the same problem and they fixed it. Basically the previous installer had swapped the constant power with the ignition power.
Thanks I'll check it out :up:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oops just realized in your second post that you're doing the work yourself! So yeah, check your head unit's manual for constant power vs ignition power... they should be two different things, but apparently very easy to reverse.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
that's all it is..the power is being drawn from a switched source. Main power should be from a constant source and the (usually pink) line from the HU should be from a switched source..either in dash or fuse box at last resort.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey guys I have the Kenwood KIV-701 with the bypass mod to allow videos being played while car is in motion.

My question is how come my deck gets reset when I turn the car off :confused:

Obviously it's a power connection issue but can anyone elaborate in detail what it could be?

And does anyone know what antenna adatper I need to marry the aftermarket with the OEM (No radio reception)? I searched Crutchfield but nothing...

Thanks in advance :D
helo, i have the same unit that i installed yesterday... where did you get that bypass mod for video? could you provide me with a link? also did it come with instructions on where it needs to be installed?
sorry for probably lame questions... :confused: this is my very first audio install... never had to change audio on my audis or mercedes..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you get the harness for your head unit? The harness for the vow that fits our cars has the red and the yellow wire reversed. So if you followed their instructions, it is likely that you reversed the acc and the constant power.

As for the antenna adapter, I'm not 100% but I think it's the raptor ad-vw1 by metra or metra 40-vw10. I think they are the same part. I ordered the ad-vw1 for my Avic z140bh, so I'll let you know when it comes in.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE

Thanks for all the help guys. Yes the yellow & red wires on the crutchfield harness need to be reversed. All is good now and the oem antenna plugs right in if you take the the top adapter part off.

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
UPDATE

Thanks for all the help guys. Yes the yellow & red wires on the crutchfield harness need to be reversed. All is good now and the oem antenna plugs right in if you take the the top adapter part off.

Thanks again guys!
Can you supply a photo of the yellow and red wiring??

I am having the same issue on my Alpine radio in my Exige

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Metra 70-1784 adapter

I got this adapter from Metra and I had to reverse the red & yellow wire to get the memory to stay intact when I turned the key off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts