The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone here had any experience upgrading the speakers and head unit? My speakers are blown out and I can see physical tears in the front two speakers. Not sure about the condition of any other speakers or subwoofer. The head unit is a little slow as well so wanted to see if I could upgrade that to one with Apple Car play or another infotainment system. However, would replacing this unit cause issues with the backup camera? I seem to also be missing the microphone for bluetooth so not sure if that is related as well. I have a 2014 Evora.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ash

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts
Search is your friend. A number of threads on this subject.

Reactions: Mobius97

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone here had any experience upgrading the speakers and head unit? My speakers are blown out and I can see physical tears in the front two speakers. Not sure about the condition of any other speakers or subwoofer. The head unit is a little slow as well so wanted to see if I could upgrade that to one with Apple Car play or another infotainment system. However, would replacing this unit cause issues with the backup camera? I seem to also be missing the microphone for bluetooth so not sure if that is related as well. I have a 2014 Evora.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ash
I've changed everything audio wise except the amp. PM me if you need help.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've changed everything audio wise except the amp. PM me if you need help.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I'm looking at going all out on an E400 install, do you have to remove the dash to pull the A pillar trim? According to the book you have to, but the part looks like it might be able to slip around the bottom clip, as it isn't captured all the way around. I'd be replacing the trim panels when I replace the tweeters.

·
Vendor
3,281 Posts
I've done a couple lotuses over the years. I really like Jim Clayton's rings for the front allowing the upgrade to 5.25" fronts from the weenie 4". The difference in mid and low mid quality is noticeable. Currently I have the subwoofer pulled out as my wife is tall an it does take up some front legroom. The 6.5" rear and 5.25" with a good class D amp are pretty solid on their own.

If memory serves, I put a 4 channel class-D JL Audio amp behind the passenger seat on the angled bit below the package shelf. It is snug, but it fits. I used the head unit drivers for the fronts, the first channel on the amp for the rears and bridged the 2nd channel for the sub. The class D doesn't generate much heat so it is completely out of the way and allows full use of the package shelf. With the sub in the front footwell it just rips. Without it, it still sounds full/good just less punch.

Also, I have tried the between the seat mounted subs and didn't like it. Jim mentioned something about it being too close to the ears and without being able to describe it, I would agree. Something about it didn't agree with me. Felt like the volume wasn't that high but the pressure on my ears was higher than it should be. I am very protective of my hearing and as such I still have better high frequency hearing than many people including those half my age.

I hope that helps!

Anyway, I am now looking for a replacement head unit that doesn't destroy the look of the car, but has Android auto etc. etc Any recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've done a couple lotuses over the years. I really like Jim Clayton's rings for the front allowing the upgrade to 5.25" fronts from the weenie 4". The difference in mid and low mid quality is noticeable. Currently I have the subwoofer pulled out as my wife is tall an it does take up some front legroom. The 6.5" rear and 5.25" with a good class D amp are pretty solid on their own.

If memory serves, I put a 4 channel class-D JL Audio amp behind the passenger seat on the angled bit below the package shelf. It is snug, but it fits. I used the head unit drivers for the fronts, the first channel on the amp for the rears and bridged the 2nd channel for the sub. The class D doesn't generate much heat so it is completely out of the way and allows full use of the package shelf. With the sub in the front footwell it just rips. Without it, it still sounds full/good just less punch.

Also, I have tried the between the seat mounted subs and didn't like it. Jim mentioned something about it being too close to the ears and without being able to describe it, I would agree. Something about it didn't agree with me. Felt like the volume wasn't that high but the pressure on my ears was higher than it should be. I am very protective of my hearing and as such I still have better high frequency hearing than many people including those half my age.

I hope that helps!

Anyway, I am now looking for a replacement head unit that doesn't destroy the look of the car, but has Android auto etc. etc Any recommendations appreciated.
I think you may be in the wrong section, Evora 400s have 5.25" from the factory and a 8" sub if optioned.

As for head unit selection, I had an awesome Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX, it has wireless Android Auto, if your phone would support it.

·
Vendor
3,281 Posts
I think you may be in the wrong section, Evora 400s have 5.25" from the factory and a 8" sub if optioned.

As for head unit selection, I had an awesome Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX, it has wireless Android Auto, if your phone would support it.
Gah! You are correct! I saw the post through "new posts" and thought it was for Elige. NEVERMIND! :D Thanks for the note about the Pioneer, I will check it out.

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts
I'm looking at going all out on an E400 install, do you have to remove the dash to pull the A pillar trim? According to the book you have to, but the part looks like it might be able to slip around the bottom clip, as it isn't captured all the way around. I'd be replacing the trim panels when I replace the tweeters.

No, No all you need to remove first are the dash End Caps. Service Notes E400 Section VG8 page 13, each retained by 3 trim clips

·
Registered
288 Posts
No, No all you need to remove first are the dash End Caps. Service Notes E400 Section VG8 page 13, each retained by 3 trim clips
I saw that the service notes say that you need to reference the dash removal section, so that's what had me curious. I want to keep the factory tweeter locations and will be following the service notes as advice to replace the A-pillars.

Reactions: Julian73

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts
I saw that the service notes say that you need to reference the dash removal section, so that's what had me curious. I want to keep the factory tweeter locations and will be following the service notes as advice to replace the A-pillars.
What speakers are you going to use?

·
Registered
288 Posts
What speakers are you going to use?
Undecided at this point, but in my S1 I had a set of Focals and a JL 8" 3v3. I'll probably do something similar since that setup sounded really nice.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Undecided at this point, but in my S1 I had a set of Focals and a JL 8" 3v3. I'll probably do something similar since that setup sounded really nice.
Yes, that should sound nice! I run Focals all around in my Elise tied to a Kenwood KMM-BT522HD and really like them. Even with the top off I can still hear the music without blasting to the static zone.

In the Evora, I have JL's all around w/ a Kicker CompR sub, using a JL XD500v2 amp and a Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX for the HU. Big improvements over the stock system. It was the first "mods" I did to the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts