The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are a few of us Austinites on the list. Anyone want to get together when the first car shows up? That way we can all get rides (possibly drives) in the car as early as possible. Also be fun to compare LSS to standard suspension.

I'm #10 on the list in San Antonio and I'd be happy to do ride trades with anyone else on the list. Possibly trade drives too depending how nervous I am about someone driving the car...

Another thing to think about would be going to a HPDE together. I instruct for www.thedriversedge.net. They run events at TWS (2.9mi, 15 turns) and MSR (1.7 mi, 11 turns). At least two of the instructors are getting Elises. It'd be fun to get ~10 of us out there sometime this Fall.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well, Austin's my hometown, (currently out in Norfolk, VA) but if I can get out that way for any of it, I think it's a great idea!

Cade

·
Registered
394 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
I know that there are a few of us Austinites on the list. Anyone want to get together when the first car shows up? That way we can all get rides (possibly drives) in the car as early as possible. Also be fun to compare LSS to standard suspension.

I'm #10 on the list in San Antonio and I'd be happy to do ride trades with anyone else on the list. Possibly trade drives too depending how nervous I am about someone driving the car...

Another thing to think about would be going to a HPDE together. I instruct for www.thedriversedge.net. They run events at TWS (2.9mi, 15 turns) and MSR (1.7 mi, 11 turns). At least two of the instructors are getting Elises. It'd be fun to get ~10 of us out there sometime this Fall.
I have been to many drivers edge events in my e30 m3, M coupe, and more recently my STi. I live in san antonio and am currently number 8 on the list at Gonzaba. Let me know about a meet at a drivers edge event and ill see what I can do about being there.

Adamp

·
Registered
866 Posts
Has anyone heard when the first demo cars show up in Austin?

Also, I have said before that I think that these demo cars will be sold to the public, and as such a limited car, I for one feel that driving someone's future car just because it has shown up is not respectful. I know that there are a lot of people who disagree, but if everyone has already agreed to buy the car, and driving it is just a matter of having fun, I think that it is a terrible idea. Also, I have yet to hear if that first service where they take the engine codes and give them back to Lotus to see if the engine was properly broken in, will be applicable in the US.

If this will be used, and I am sure that there is a possibility that it will be, then every "test drive" increases the chances that the warrenty will be revoked-a situation that I am sure no one would want to encounter on their own car.

As I said, I willl not be driving any of the demo cars, since I have already had a ride in one of the Euro spec cars, but I think it begs the question, when YOUR car arrives, would you want other people driving it with no concern, and possibly revoking your warrenty? I think that the resounding answer would be no, but who knows.

On the other hand, if someone is a POTENTIAL buyer, and has not commited a deposit, or is between two different cars, then by all means, take a test drive. Joy riding and test driving however are very different things.

I am not trying to start any ill-will, but we are all already a very close community of potential owners, and I would think that when the demo cars are sold to someone, they will become a part of this community too. I would hate to meet someone in person who was driving the car that I took out for a joy ride. I would feel more than a little guilty.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't think that's the way it works...

Mean TT, I understand that you are concerned about this whole dealer demo situation, and it seems you have very good intentions. However, I do not believe that your assumptions are correct. It's well established that each dealer is to receive a DESIGNATED demo vehicle that they can use for test drives. The idea that a dealer would permit people to "test drive" an actual customer car is admittedly horrifying, but I just don't think that's going to happen.

When it comes time for the dealer to get rid of the demo car, they will sell it at a discount as a known dealer demo vehicle with high-ish miles on it, certainly not to be confused with a "new" vehicle. As with any "used" vehicle, the prospective purchaser would be wise to confirm warranty details, but that's no different from purchasing any other "used" car, demo or not.

In short, take a test drive - enjoy. It's just the designated demo car, not someone else's pride and joy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A couple things:

Jefferson, HELL YEAH! I've never seen an Elise in person, and the wait is killing me. Can't wait to see the first Elise coming in.

Sorry I missed you for lunch, some meetings came up and I was locked out of this forum due to a board glitch, so couldn't get you number. :)

Demos:

The demos are just that, demos. Lotus has requested that the dealers hold onto the demos for a period of time (I can't recall exactly, but 1-3 month range) so Elise hopefuls could experience the car.

Most demos are already sold, from the folks I've talked to. Selling price I dunno, but the buyers are well aware that the demo will be driven by others. . . that is, it's part of the deal.

Given the robustness of the drivetrain, I wouldn't have too many misgivings on buying a demo. . .but that's just me. In any event, those buyers should know exactly what they've bargained for.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mean TT said:
Has anyone heard when the first demo cars show up in Austin?

Also, I have said before that I think that these demo cars will be sold to the public, and as such a limited car, I for one feel that driving someone's future car just because it has shown up is not respectful. I know that there are a lot of people who disagree, but if everyone has already agreed to buy the car, and driving it is just a matter of having fun, I think that it is a terrible idea. Also, I have yet to hear if that first service where they take the engine codes and give them back to Lotus to see if the engine was properly broken in, will be applicable in the US.

If this will be used, and I am sure that there is a possibility that it will be, then every "test drive" increases the chances that the warrenty will be revoked-a situation that I am sure no one would want to encounter on their own car.

As I said, I willl not be driving any of the demo cars, since I have already had a ride in one of the Euro spec cars, but I think it begs the question, when YOUR car arrives, would you want other people driving it with no concern, and possibly revoking your warrenty? I think that the resounding answer would be no, but who knows.

On the other hand, if someone is a POTENTIAL buyer, and has not commited a deposit, or is between two different cars, then by all means, take a test drive. Joy riding and test driving however are very different things.

I am not trying to start any ill-will, but we are all already a very close community of potential owners, and I would think that when the demo cars are sold to someone, they will become a part of this community too. I would hate to meet someone in person who was driving the car that I took out for a joy ride. I would feel more than a little guilty.
Mean TT, I don't want to be an ass, but aren't you the one buying the demo from autostrada? If so, how can you say you won't be driving any of the demo cars? Surely, you'll drive Autostrada's demo before you cut the check for it.

It also seems you are laying guilt on your local Elise brethen about warranty claims. . . w/o proper foundation.

I'm pretty sure none of the posters in this thread said anything about joy riding, but your post is fixated on this concept. I'll be paying cash for my Elise, and I assure you that I'm not a juvenile. . .

Please feel free to correct me. As a long time enthusiast, and an active member in the local bmw and S2000 communities, I'd be appalled if somebody abused your car; I fail to see any comments were people suggested otherwise.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We'll all have a chance to rag out Autostrada's demo soon enough. LOL

Now back to th subject of this thread. Austin area Elise owners unite. Whoever gets their car first should let us come by and take a look. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
LOL. OK, Mean TT, now you have someone to biatch at. ;)

Jefferson, any updates on when your ride shows up?

BTW, I was BS'ing with Neil the other day, and he mentioned that it would be cool to do an Elise day at the track. I'm thinking we could coordinate something like the Supra guys did with Ed Paez (see edpracing.com), or with TDE.

At the least, we have to get the demo up to the track and break her in properly. ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine should show up in July (#9 at Gonzaba.) AdamP (#8) will get his in the shipment before mine, as will one of my neighbors who occasionally reads this (#7).

As soon as mine shows up I'll have a get together at my house. Hopefully some of you will already have your Loti. Except for you Huggy - you need to bring the F car! I'll probably let list members drive mine as long as people agree to be nice. Then again, writing the $45k check may lock up my buddy gland.

As far as a track day, if Neil sets one up I'll be there. If he doesn't, I'll talk to Rick about doing a special deal with TDE. Maybe we can get a discount... They have a September 11/12 event at MSR that would give time for cars to show up. www.thedriversedge.net

As far as driving the demos, hell yes! I won't tear them up, but I am definitely going to drive this car the first chance I get. That is the point of a demo. I can't wait for Autostrada and Gonzaba to get theirs.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm 5 at autostrada, so I'm hoping for early july. I'm going to try to spend a couple weeks back in town visiting family and friends before I head back out to the east coast. When I get the car, I'll post, and if anyone wants to come check it out, I'll be happy to oblige. I don't know if I'll let anybody drive my baby just yet, though. sorry... just twitchy. The only other new car I had was destroyed within three months by a drunk driver, and I don't want to take any chances on losing this one, particularly so quickly.

Cade

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't confirm my place in line, as it's somewhat dynamic at this point. (long story)

However, when it shows, I'll be happy to let other Elise hopefuls drive it on the backroads (not I35!).

My car will be driven pretty hard on the track; I'll be driving it significantly harder than any of you tire kickers. ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked with Rick Schwalenberg of TDE and he is interested. We could do this as part of the September event, or possibly add a Lotus-only Friday.

I emailed Gonzaba and called Dacia (who works at Autostrada) about promoting/sponsoring. I'll hit up the other 2 Texas Lotus dealers as well. It would be great if we could get a discount on the track day (normally $275.)

How many of you would be interested in (and will have cars in time) to do a September track day? Give feedback on the date as well, we can always move it back if people need time to get the car.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
Shoot - that _is_ the same weekend, isn't it? I definitely plan to go to LOG24 - hoping to get a few of us together to caravan. TDE has another event October 9-10. How does that sound?
TX-OU weekend

·
Registered
228 Posts
What's up you Austin Phockers? It's awful quiet in here.

You know what's funny, is that I'm growing to dislike my M3 on the track. . . I can't help thinking it's slow and piggish, and I'm hoping that I don't have to buy another set of Rcomps before my Elise arrives.

Later.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts