The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With commendable service truly being a rarity and more the exception than the rule, I feel compelled to sing the praises of Auto Europe in Birmingham, MI. To elaborate, I recently purchased a 2005 Elise from David Lawson (a truly stand up no b%ll [email protected] guy) and upon getting it home, noticed that the tranny made a grinding noise when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd. Long story short, David and Tom Schick ended up taking care of the problem by replacing the transmission. They even provided me with a "loaner" and mind you that my car was not even under warranty. I can honestly say that David and Tom "get it" unlike so many other service or product providers out there. This was a refreshing experience knowing that there are others that see the value in looking beyond just making the "quick buck/sale"
I should also mention that Auto Europe is by no means a close drive for me either. Similar to another post singing their praises, I reside in Indianapolis, making this a 5 hour drive (that reason alone should speak volumes). My advice to anyone out their looking for excellent service or interested in buying a solid European car should give David or Tom a call respectively depending on your needs.
Bottom line, Auto Europe has my business now and down the road.

Krug1

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
They are the best. It helps because they are truly Lotus fanatics and truly good guys. I miss them :(

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Krug...where are you located ?? You should come out to one of our track days & join the club ! Great Lakes Lotus Club

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
i purchased my 06' elise from auto europe. i would encourage anyone to use them for service or purchase from them, even if you have to drive past another lotus dealer to get to them. they are a class operation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's nice when you only live 15 miles from Auto Europe and within 3 miles of both Tom and Eric. I'm one of the lucky ones. I think you would find it difficult to find two owners that are more enthusiastic about Lotus and about taking care of customers. They deserve the praises.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
First I have to say that Tom and Eric are both friends of mine. So I am you might say I am biased....but those of you that know me and lotusowners.com know I cannot be bought and I am a man of my word.....

I live in Buffalo and I will have my car serviced no where else.

I constantly see here how other dealers are so great and how they are the best.

I honestly think that Auto Europe is the best Lotus Dealership in the USA. Charles is one hell of a mechanic and just a great person. As is Jon. I dont know the rest of the mechanics there...but those two I know well and they are great guys.

Listen, nobody is cheap these days and the best you can ever get is great service for a fair price. And that is what Auto Europe does. I have been singing their praises on this list and others for quite some time.

When Charles tuned my Carbs on my Caterham, it was like magic. Car NEVER drove so good. And I recommended him to a guy down in Maryland. He drove is car all the way to Detroit to get his carbs worked on. Said it was the best money he ever spent on his car.

Tom and Eric are REAL Lotus guys through and through. They go the extra mile. There is nothing I would not do for them in a heartbeat.

There have been times when we have done thousands of dollars in business just on a handshake.....and never once did I lose one wink of sleep over it.

they are a class act.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have known the two mutts at AE since they were teenagers. They are good guys I have sent many to them and recently helped a pal get a car from them that went to California.
I have bought 4 Lotus cars from them, several others and had lots of work done on ever kind of car you can imagine. My 66 Mustand is there now!
It is a shame the Lotus does not have a dealer net work of the same kind of guys all over, I think it is one of the reasons prices are soft in the used market. Plus you get guys who sell Chevys and Kias looking at Lotus like it is the same thing and can be sold ala Walmart- Lotus is not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Opps forgot - the picture I use as an Avitar is of the Schick brothers at a recent Lotus event we had here in Michigan- for those of you who do not know what they look like
Great guys. Well dressed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to disagree

I have yet to have a pleasant experience with Auto Europe, and will go out of my way NOT to use them. Just recently at my 7500 mile maintenance, I complained about a vibration I was having at speeds over 80mph for the SECOND time. The first time this was dismissed as turbulence under the car. This time they balanced the tires. I also complained of an intermittent problem I was having with the passenger side head light, this was never addressed. On my way home, I jumped on 696 and opened it up. My car starting shaking terribly especially my steering wheel. I immediately returned it to Auto Europe to find that their tire balancing machine wasn't calibrated. They rebalanced the tires. A couple weeks later my car started missing on one cylinder. I certainly wasn't going to take it to AE. I pulled the plugs and found two fouled plugs. I decided to check the air filter as well (the one AE JUST CHECKED and told me was fine). When I pulled the wheel well housing down to expose the air filter housing, stones and debris fell to the floor indicating that this hadn't been removed in quite some time. I pulled the air filter out and more debris fell out of the enclosure. So basically this was never checked. The air filter was filthy and beyond it's usable life. So what did they do for the $200 I paid for the maintenance? Oil changes at AE cost over $100. They use Castrol Syntec oil and BULK oil filters!!!! Now I take my Elise to Serra Toyota where they use Mobil1 oil and Mobil1 oil filters for $40. And talk about great service. And this was just one of my several poor experiences with AE. AE will only be an EMERGENCY option for me. Future maintenance will be done at Lotus of Cleveland. I've even considered selling my car (those of you who know me know this car is my love, my passion) because of that lack of support and lack of dealer choices. AE can provide poor service because our next closest dealer is 100 miles away. PLEASE prove me wrong and tell me how to get this phenomenal service you all rave about so my heart doesn't sink and my stomach doesn't twist into knots whenever I HAVE to take my baby to AE. PLEASE.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
In reagards to the above post.

I would speak to Tom. If you have issues...any issues....he will listen. And he will correct them.

As for the wheel shaking above 80...I have the same issue and cannot seem to get it out of my car as well.

I have balanced the tires....checked the front end...nothing seems to fix it. It comes and goes....some days on some roads it is fine. Other days on other roads...it is not.

All you can ask of someone is to do their best. Of course not changing an air filter is really a negative...but saying that...I have had stones and stuff get into my air filter on just one trip.

Again...speak to Tom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have yet to have a pleasant experience with Auto Europe, and will go out of my way NOT to use them. Just recently at my 7500 mile maintenance, I complained about a vibration I was having at speeds over 80mph for the SECOND time. The first time this was dismissed as turbulence under the car. This time they balanced the tires. I also complained of an intermittent problem I was having with the passenger side head light, this was never addressed. On my way home, I jumped on 696 and opened it up. My car starting shaking terribly especially my steering wheel. I immediately returned it to Auto Europe to find that their tire balancing machine wasn't calibrated. They rebalanced the tires. A couple weeks later my car started missing on one cylinder. I certainly wasn't going to take it to AE. I pulled the plugs and found two fouled plugs. I decided to check the air filter as well (the one AE JUST CHECKED and told me was fine). When I pulled the wheel well housing down to expose the air filter housing, stones and debris fell to the floor indicating that this hadn't been removed in quite some time. I pulled the air filter out and more debris fell out of the enclosure. So basically this was never checked. The air filter was filthy and beyond it's usable life. So what did they do for the $200 I paid for the maintenance? Oil changes at AE cost over $100. They use Castrol Syntec oil and BULK oil filters!!!! Now I take my Elise to Serra Toyota where they use Mobil1 oil and Mobil1 oil filters for $40. And talk about great service. And this was just one of my several poor experiences with AE. AE will only be an EMERGENCY option for me. Future maintenance will be done at Lotus of Cleveland. I've even considered selling my car (those of you who know me know this car is my love, my passion) because of that lack of support and lack of dealer choices. AE can provide poor service because our next closest dealer is 100 miles away. PLEASE prove me wrong and tell me how to get this phenomenal service you all rave about so my heart doesn't sink and my stomach doesn't twist into knots whenever I HAVE to take my baby to AE. PLEASE.
you have even fewer posts than me, how would anyone know you?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just took delivery of my second Lotus from Auto Europe, and have used them exclusively for all my modifications and service requirements and have never had an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts