The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just popped-on my Tivo and started watching "Auto Motor und Sport" (from 4:30 AM, August 11) and staring back at me from the TV was a Lotus Exige in Chrome Orange! It is the Toyota powered version, but they rate it at 192 horsepower. Their 0-100 kilometer time for 5.8 seconds seems a bit slow, but the interior shots with the driver rowing through the gears is amazing! The engine and exhaust noise is just intoxicating!

I wish I knew how to convert a Tivo recording to .WMV file... but I don't. But I have the capability to burn this to a DVD. (Thanks to Patricko who pointed me in the direction of DVD-R enabled Tivo machines!) Can anyone convert and host this video if I burn it to a DVD?

Bob

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
It'll likely air locally this weekend; I'll Tivo it and put it on the 'net for all to enjoy, if no one has done so in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transcript from the show

Transcript from Auto Motor und Sport Exige Review

(Guns and Roses playing in the background, superceded by full throttle romps on the Exige and screaming Toyota powerplant) 5 minutes total air time.

A race car for the road. That’s what many cars aspire to be… only few ever make it. The Lotus Exige is one of those. Light. Hard. And brutal. It weighs 916 kilograms and symbolizes a pure and genuine sports car.

Adequate power plus low weight… that’s the formula Lotus has been using for a long time to construct its cars. One of the most uncompromising ways Lotus has applied this to a street legal car is in the case of the Exige.

The engine is situated between the two axles, directly behind the driver for optimum weight distribution. The four cylinder unit borrowed from the Toyota Celica produces 192 horsepower and really gets revved-up high. A real delight compared with the feeble engine in the former Exige model.

Its chassis and aerodynamic construction were also improved. And yes, the Exige now has ABS. Purists might have their doubts, but whoever gets into a wet and slippery situation will really appreciate this electronic helper.

Comfort almost likely will be a topic of discussion at Lotus. Comfort… that awful word. Artificial leather, a radio or even air conditioning. “For heaven’s sake, NO!” the purists might shout. But still, they’ll order it. According to Lotus, almost all cars are delivered loaded with all these extras. And by the way, at Lotus, they toyed-around with power window controls until they were slightly heavier than ordinary crank handles. So comfort really doesn’t have to hurt after all.

The taut suspension hardly cushions the bumps at all… but that’s alright. You quickly get the feel of being in a go-kart. The thrill of driving… pure and genuine.

Just for the record, here’s the rest of the car’s specs: A 0 – 100 (km/h) time of 5.8 seconds. Top speed: 237… which, of course, is not as important as the car’s great cornering speed. This is a car that feels like it’s glued to the road. Hardly responsible for that sensation are the tires. The Exige is normally fitted with street legal racing tires. The rear wing provides the necessary downforce. Also the front spoilers gives us a hint of this car’s use in competition. The most likely place Lotus envisions this 45,000 Euro car is at the race track.

Still, since the Exige is a street legal car, the ride to the track should be an extraordinary one. A racecar for the road… that certainly defines the Lotus Exige.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MattG said:
It'll likely air locally this weekend; I'll Tivo it and put it on the 'net for all to enjoy, if no one has done so in the meantime.
Please do and thanks in advance.

Edit: I think they meant to say that the cranks are slightly heavier than the electronic window.

·
Registered
327 Posts
617arg said:
what channel is "Auto Motor" on? SPEED??....never heard of it.
In the Baltimore-Washington area, it's only broadcast on the Howard University channel, WHUT, and it's shown on Saturday at 12:30pm.

Motorweek at 12:00 and Auto Motor at 12:30. Both are a regular part of my Saturdays ... and both shows typically leave me very disappointed. I spend an hour with those shows every weekend and I might see 3 minutes of cool stuff if I'm lucky. You never know what you're gonna get.

Auto Motor und Sport (based in Germany) has cool stuff more often than MotorWeak, but they still waste a lot of time on economy car comparos, German Autobahn police training, and crash test studies, etc.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
Motorweek at 12:00 and Auto Motor at 12:30. Both are a regular part of my Saturdays ... and both shows typically leave me very disappointed. I spend an hour with those shows every weekend and I might see 3 minutes of cool stuff if I'm lucky. You never know what you're gonna get.
I agree. I prefer to record them and watch them later, so I can fast forward to the good parts. I can watch MotorWeek in about five minutes that way. ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I varied my Saturday morning routine a little by getting up early, watching qualifying from the Hungaroring, and then taking my S2000 for it's 1st oil service. $27! and 45 minutes.

Anyway, I got back in time to see the Auto Motor und Sport show w/ the Chrome Orange Exige. Looked good. We already know the text & the piece didn't say much .. but the G-N-R music + the Exige in motion was worth watching.

Anyone else see it?

Now I'm off to go look at a bigger house w/ multi-car garage.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
MattG said:
I agree. I prefer to record them and watch them later, so I can fast forward to the good parts. I can watch MotorWeek in about five minutes that way. ;)
What? So, you skip over Goss' Garage where Pat shows viewers how to check tire pressure, adjust seats, wash cars, and change wipers!!!!!

The Horror!

I love watching Pat show viewers how to do things I knew when I was 8 years old!

:D :D :D :D :D :clap:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
MattG said:
Many PBS stations broadcast it. The title is "Auto Motor & Sport"
those punks have not showed it in two months. Not AM&S and not Motorweek. WTF is going on at PBS!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts