The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Elise has a imobilizer as standard equipment and a alarm, but living here in Florida, one of the highest car theft areas in the country.

what else is recommended to do?

I plan acid etching the VIN # on all the 6 car panels on the inside, all the glass, and inside of the wheels, the hard top and is just a few thoughts i have for extra safety

Is there anything else that can be recommended?

Since the Elise is so light my concern is not so much a drive off but a flat bed tow off! or something even more crude to roll the car away.

Since there is such low #'s i would think this car is going to be a hot number to steal not only for reselling but for the parts alone since parts will be scarce for some time to come.

what is everyone planning on doing besides what comes standard any genius ideas mulling about?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
speedracergirl8 said:
Since there is such low #'s i would think this car is going to be a hot number to steal not only for reselling but for the parts alone since parts will be scarce for some time to come.
I'd think the opposite. Say some guy happens to be selling a set of LSS rims on eBay... how many cars w/ LSS rims you think got stolen the week before? You don't think the cops will go knocking on his door? Smart car thieves would probably stay away from the Elise.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Re: Re: Auto Theft of the Elise

transio said:
I'd think the opposite. Say some guy happens to be selling a set of LSS rims on eBay... how many cars w/ LSS rims you think got stolen the week before? You don't think the cops will go knocking on his door? Smart car thieves would probably stay away from the Elise.
I agree with Steve. The car is too exclusive to have a real market in the US. It is also not expensive enough to warrant overseas shipment like they tend to do with true exotics sports cars.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think you outdid huggy with your avatar...by the way - is she Oriental?:D

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
ivan1 said:
I think you outdid huggy with your avatar...by the way - is she Oriental?:D
Oriental? I dont know.... Hypnotic, most definately :D

Don't stare too long :no:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
okay - my phone rang and that freed me from the hypnotic trance I was in....

back to the topic - I agree it is unlikely the elise will be a theft target for parts or for shipping the cars overseas (that would be ironic). more likely it will be stolen for a joy ride...

by the way - can you guess the #1 stolen vehicle??? (adjusted for # on the road)...

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/car_theft/

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
speedracergirl8 said:
Since the Elise is so light my concern is not so much a drive off but a flat bed tow off! or something even more crude to roll the car away.

what is everyone planning on doing besides what comes standard any genius ideas mulling about?
I'd like to integrate some mercury tilt switches + microwave motion detectors with the native alarm, to deter flatbed rips, or just scare the f*ck out of reprobates messing about the interior.

Then, there's always this:

http://www.maximonline.com/stupid_fun/articles/article_26.html

I agree with ivan1 that the joyride & dump is the most concerning threat.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Re: Re: Auto Theft of the Elise

Need4Speed said:
the joyride & dump is the most concerning threat.
some of my former girlfriends had the same concerns....:D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Umm... add up the Lincoln Navigator 2WD + 4WD theft figures and it beats the Escalade 4WD figure. Do they make an Escalade 2WD?

EDIT: Duh, nevermind... the figures would be average rather than cumulative. I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Auto Theft of the Elise

ivan1 said:
some of my former girlfriends had the same concerns....:D
There are now a wide variety of self-help & fetishist sites on the web to help you with that... :huh: :rolleyes: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts