The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to do my first auto-X with the car.

I was wondering if anybody has ever heard of the lotus cracking a claim while doing auto-x.

Hitting cones of course would be the culprit that im talking about.

Also ive seen plenty of pics while i was searching of the ELISE in Superstock class.

Is the Exige S also in SS?

Thank everybody for the help.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Talk to Knucklehead on this forum. Ive done my only two autoX with him in San Diego with Club 111. Both years, he put a hole about the size of a .50 cent piece in his driver side panel below the door.

One year I think it was from the front tires kicking up a nasty rock. The second year (about a month ago) it was from a cone.

It happens, thats why you see people put painters tape on the car. Its worth it though. You will not regret going. Great way to learn to push the car.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have done a few auto-x events but luckily not hit a cone with the front yet. I have taken out a few with the rear of the car in the slalom section but never got any cracks or damage.

Painters tape looks like a good idea but in my opinion a pain in the rear to do do I have not done it.

I guess the ultimate surprise would be to hit a cone straigth on and in someway get the airbags triggered -eek-

I say go for it, it is a lot of fun. My next eventy is June 14 here around Cleveland.

:shift:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Fortunately I'm the exception. As Doug has pointed out, I've had three occasions where I went home from an autocross with damage. BTW tape would not have protected me from any of this damage.

1. Cracked the F clam across the bottom of the license plate block. It was a very cold morning and was just learning to autocross. A veteran corvette driver told me to aim my car at a cone in a downhill off camber turn. Claiming the car would drift passed the cones putting me in the perfect spot for the next turn. Well the Elise stuck like glue and I ran head on to three cones.

2. Very high speed down hill sweeper. Ran over a loose piece of the parking lot and fired a dollar coin size rock with my front tire into the rocker panel in front of the rear wheel.

3. Spun out over a pointer cone. The hard base pierced through the rocker panel

For the most part it's really hard to mess the car up when autocrossing. I just seem to have a talent for it. Autocrossing is a blast and can really help with learning the behavior of the car. Do a good tape job and 99% of the time you will be fine.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talk to Knucklehead on this forum. Ive done my only two autoX with him in San Diego with Club 111. Both years, he put a hole about the size of a .50 cent piece in his driver side panel below the door.

One year I think it was from the front tires kicking up a nasty rock. The second year (about a month ago) it was from a cone.

It happens, thats why you see people put painters tape on the car. Its worth it though. You will not regret going. Great way to learn to push the car.
If i put a hole in my car im going to cry.

The problem is im allowing my mechanic to co-drive the car.

I know/or at least hope i wont hit a cone straight on. Ive auto-x-ed before with expensive fiberglass front ends.

But i didnt take a cone and drag along half the track .

I didnt tape it up when i went to Putnam racepark. And didnt have much of an issue from rocks. But the wheels arent turned nearly as much as they are on a track compared to auto-x.

So i think i will definitely tape wrap it up this time.

Jeff I don't think you will be going fast enough to hurt anything. rotfl
hahahahahaha :sad:

:)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
One other point to new autocrossers.
If you start to spin (Just like on a track) don't be a hero and try and save it. That's when crazy stuff happens. Your time will not be your fastest anyway so put both feet in and stop the car in the shortest space as possible.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
as anyone in the nj area will atest. no one hits more cone then I. the worst damage ive had has been scuffs.

rob

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive got another problem

Ive got the arqray single tip SS exhaust. Stock cat.

And now ive just read the event which is 2 hours away has a Decibel sound limit.

95db from 100ft away.

I checked S111 site they have sounds for every exhaust but mine.

Anybody familiar with db. have a good guess if i will be ok. I dont want to drive 2 hrs and then get black flagged.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Ive got another problem

Ive got the arqray single tip SS exhaust. Stock cat.

And now ive just read the event which is 2 hours away has a Decibel sound limit.

95db from 100ft away.

I checked S111 site they have sounds for every exhaust but mine.

Anybody familiar with db. have a good guess if i will be ok. I dont want to drive 2 hrs and then get black flagged.
The Arqray is loud, real loud. It kind of depends on how strict the region is. In San Diego they monitor very diligently. There have been Larini's that didn't pass. From my understanding the Super Charger makes it quieter. You can also get a supertrap.

If you are warned you can try to short shift into a higher gear around the monitor for this event and address the problem later. Since you seem to be new to the sport I would go to get seat time. If your DNFed for sound you'll still get to run. Two and most likely three.

BTW to answer one of your original questions the Exige S is in the ASP class.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ASP.... ive been auto-x maybe 5-6 times.

Im not sure what asp stands for.

i tried contacting some guys from KY.

Doesnt sound good for me tomorrow. dB limits are retarded.

Thats like limiting a shooting range dB limit.

Sunday morning noise once a month and people complain. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
485 Posts
The funniest thing is it is in a major college football stadium right next to a railroad track and an airport. The problem is the people with little less to do in the neighborhood next to it.:crazyeyes They were told one more complaint and you are history..:(

You should be ok. Bring sunblock.:cool:

50-60 sec course and a good lot.

PS.painters tape is your friend. This is the lot region that Jr Johnson and many others fell in love with the Elise. I miss the great pumpkin.:wallbang:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
95db at 100 feet is VERY loud. You should be okay. As a reference, San Diego is 93db at 50'.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't be too worried about front end damage, I spun out last year at Mosport & mashed up the fiberglass under the front lip. $800 and it was repaired like new. Almost makes me wonder why I had them put the starshield back on for another $450... And these prices were the dealer's body shop, so I'm sure someone else could have done it cheaper.

Last autocross I actually killed a cone, separated it right from the base. Its my new garage wall hanging. No damage from any of the 20 cones I've hit in the last year. All with the back end.

Have fun!

·
Vendor
3,204 Posts
I've hit hundreds of cones in my elise auto-xing. No problem. Running into timing lights, that was a problem. Don't do that! Now I have a 1/2" thick plywood splitter outfront that = cone death!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts