The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus comparison: Elise 111R against Exige

(Translated from German- if you have better translation software, please re-post)
A question of the style

The new, 192 HP engine barely is under the bonnet, offers lotus immediately two versions of his small sportsman: the classical open Elise 111R and the closed Exige trimmed on racing distance. The differences are low, but clear...
From Roland Löwisch Zugegeben: I am a Freak. Since I access immediately if he is sometimes again in reach. I forget how stupidly it looks, if I me in him hineinquetsche. How the neighbors grin behind curtains if they observe my awkward attempts to leave him again. A leg first, or both legs first, completely all the same ? if his roof is closed does everybody which is older than 25 years and greater than 1.70 meters, a pitiful figure.

My both children grumble because they can drive in him not at the same moment, the purchase is Spartan because of his ridiculous cuddy, and my hips scrub themselves to his seat peelings sore. No question, the lotuses Elise is a miraculous car. If I have come in only sometimes, everything makes no difference anyhow. And now where he has grown out of the lout's years, he becomes even more attractive.

From a certain age one just finds the "Touring parcel" very pleasant ? among the rest it contains radio, fed hood, carpets, Alcantara, electric window lifters. Contemporaries sensitive to heat can order even an air-conditioning ? a 15 kilo cold guarantee which is necessary from view of lotus for the North American market at all costs.

Puristen may grumble: I like the made up Elise. He has not least also become stronger: behind the seats works in the youngest version " 111R " the 192 HP 1.8-liter four coil built by Yamaha which does his work with manual six-step gear ordinarily in Toyota Corolla TS and Celica TS. And one more fact makes the new Elise extremely likeable to me: the existence of his zweieiigen twin "Exige".

There was him two years ago already once, but at that time only for Racer in well-chosen markets in which the driver sits principally on the right.
The Exige from today is for everybody: identical base, the identical engine like in the Elise, but not aerial openly, but rassig closed. For it a few ingredients like rear wing and cup tire, a little more stiff feathers and modified dampers to do a good figure on racing distances. Our test carriage is equipped with the exactly same extra like the Elise and costs 44,900 Euros in the base execution. Now I have the problem: which prefer? Which is sportier? Which does more fun?

The Exige is more remarkable and rarer. However, is the reason enough to spend 3,000 Euros more? Both are delightfully unreasonable of course. And faulty unfortunately also what fells especially in the eye if one has them at the same time to the disposal. Thus brags lotus with both for the sprint of zero on 100 km/h 5.2 of seconds ? indeed the Exige has the better aerodynamics and on account of the Semislicks better Grip, if the acceleration duel loses, however, by the broader tire dimensions and 30 kilos of excess weight opposite the Elise.

if we have measured 6.6 seconds ? the result untenherum of extremely floppy engine. There it also uses nothing that from 6000 tours up to Höchstdrehzahl of 8500 still a clear push is perceptible. The a little better Elise fitted out with the same engine 111R: Here lasts of 100 kms / h-sprint 5.9 seconds, the machine comes untenherum much better to ebullition, however, miss, nevertheless, the work information clearly.

Vice versa the picture with the switch guidance: in the Exige flutscht the lotus construction pleasantly precisely, while they in the Elise incredibly zickt and hakelt. Besides, both test carriages had almost the identical kilometer achievement behind themselves (about 12,000). Lotus an explanation has for the differences: the carriages come from the standard approach ? the tolerance is bigger there just still a little bit.

Elise and Exige have luck: my tolerance is also big what concerns these fun cars. Fast there are forgotten also the not substantially moved sealing rubbers in the Elise or roof disguising pieces in the Exige which land suddenly like ice-cold little hands on the shoulder because she fastens ? merely with velcro fastening ? cover the roof screw connection only flusig. The reason, why I love these aluminum bowls in such a way, lies on the racing distance: curve speeds and brake points are incomprehensible, this almost already has orgasm quality.

Especially in the Exige: the chassis is tuned uncompromisingly to round courses. The carriage lightly oversteers with the Gaslupfen before the curve, by renewed kicking of the gas pedal he catches himself again and goes with very high across acceleration neutrally by the curve. The Yokohama cup tires make a remaining one in the warm state: They stick to the asphalt like the soaked in sweat shirt on the back.
The light coupé lets itself thanks to the late using ABS production now very precisely in the curve hineinbremsen. And the fact that the small steering wheel with stress wants to be turned, is only right to the lotus fan.

One cannot throw the Elise completely so wildly in the curve. He untersteers stronger, reacts to load change more violently, therefore, is more difficult in the border area to use. However, from the basic vote the driving behavior is similarly ? and with it to a lot of other Pseudo sports cars consider. Both steering systems are miraculously direct, the brakes are distinguished. Not so importantly is the maximum speed. Lotus 111 R 241 km/h wants to have driven with the Elise, with the Exige, at least, 237 km/h. For it the both need either tail wind good as hurricane and a long approach or an optimistic stop clock.

All the same how fast, anyway they are according to. But with these cars sensitivity not in the ear is asked, but in the bottom: all sensors of the pilot are informed thanks to the sporty-hard vote about the highway states perfectly. After our extensive measuring journeys the Exige goes briefly as the sportier of both lotuses about the target line. Whether the advantage of an open roof can compensate for, everybody must decide fo itself. At last it is only one question of the style.

Result lotus Exige: the whole parcel is voices: a small, light, hard sports car with 192 HP ? optically a tidbit, technically well thought-out. Now should provide lotus, however, for the fact that the car also creates the promised road performances ? a question of the quality.

Result lotus Elise 111R: the new engine is good for the Elise ? even if a few would be even better more HP. Who is to the view that a British sports car may be only open, is better served with this classical small curve artist from Hethel than with his extravagant counterpart.

(Now the really interesting part)

Measuring values lotuses Elise 111R lotus Exige
Acceleration
0-50 km/h 2.2 s 2.6 s
0-80 km/h 4.4 s 4.9 s
0-100 km/h 5.9 s 6.6 s
0-130 km/h 9.5 s 10.8 s
0-160 km/h 14.6 s 17.3 s
0-200 km/h 31.7 s 36.2 s

100-200 km/h 25.8 s 29.6 s
Elasticity
60-100 km/h in the 4th way 5.7 s 6.6 s
60-100 km/h in the 5th way 8.1s 9.5 s
80-120 km/h in the 5th way 8.2 s 9.6 s
80-120 km/h in the 6th way 10.2 s 11.6 s
Braking distance (delay)
100-0 km/h coldly 39.0 ms (-10,0 ms / s2) 38.2 ms (-9,7 ms / s2)
100-0 km/h warmly 38.5 ms (-10,2 ms / s2) 37.9 ms (-10,5 ms / s2)

Article: http://www.autobild.de/tuning/testberichte/artikel.php?artikel_id=7278&artikel_seite=0

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It looks like the Elise is faster than the Exige in that test. I think I want an Exige wing for my Elise!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll take the entire exige rear clam.

Front too for that matter

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
what's up with the 0-60 times? 5.9 - 6.6 !!! :shrug:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
shay2nak said:
what's up with the 0-60 times? 5.9 - 6.6 !!! :shrug:
They are actually 0-62mph times. For whatever reason, the German mags have never been as good as Americans in drag racing. ;) I'm not sure they drop the clutch at 7kRPM. Finally, the Exige has quite a bit more drag.

I bet the faster car around Hethel is the Fed Elise with LSS rather than the S2 Exige, assuming that downforce doesn't help more than I think....

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Vantage said:
I bet the faster car around Hethel is the Fed Elise with LSS rather than the S2 Exige, assuming that downforce doesn't help more than I think....
I'm pretty sure the exige would be faster through the windsock corner, I seem to remember hyla exiting that one at 120. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts