The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not sure how to go about this.

I rebuilt the diffuser that is installed on my car, drove it on a nice road trip, and then dropped it off with a local autobody shop to have a front lip installed.

I get the car back, and the front lip is not installed correctly, fault of the builder of the lip, battery is dead, because of lack of use and no tender for a week (took 24 hours to revitalize the battery), but go to change the oil tonight, and I find that the undertray directly below the engine has been damaged, pushed up/back, and there is a HUGE dent in one of the fins of my diffuser that I KNOW wasn't there prior to the autobody shop.

So anybody have any suggestions as to how to go about this, and how much it is to get a replacement undertray for below the motor? I already know the price for a replacement diffuser...it honestly looks like someone didn't pay attention and went of the curb with the car.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2 to my question...I have an autocross event this weekend, and I am wondering would you think it is OK to autocross the car this weekend with the right hand and left hand front wishbone mounting points were bent like these:

This is not a sarcastic question, it is an honest one as I do not wish to put myself or the car in anymore harms way than what this body shop has done. But I do have an event this weekend that I would very much like to attend, but not sure if it is wise.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,133 Posts
Seeing the damage to your wishbone mount, you need replace it, I do not recommend that you autocross with that damage.

With the body shop, try to talk to the shop owner and see if the person is willing to compensate you for the damages done, if not explore legal means including complaints to the BBB, DMV, etc.

Hope things work out for you!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I had something similar happen. A Mercedes of Palm Beach service tech nosed my wife's SLK into a curb and I didn't notice it until I got home 20 min later. I immediately went back, but they accused me of doing it on the drive home but offered to fix it at a discount. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Bring a camera and look for witness marks on their curbs.

As far as the damage goes, I'd probably autocross it. It's probably more likely to break driving it on the road. The highest loads that joint will see are going to be from big bumps or potholes.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
They used those areas improperly as lifting points!!! Explain repair/replace or get sued. !~

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
They used those areas improperly as lifting points!!! Explain repair/replace or get sued. !~
When I saw the damage that's the first thing I thought!
You've most likely invested your money for the autocross up front, perhaps they may give you a refund. If it were my car I wouldn't autocross it with that damage and if they do tech inspection chances are they won't pass it.

Hope the shop will cover the damages.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would go to the shop and explain what happened. last time I had something like this happen they fixed it at no charge.
i got lucky i know

This is one of the reasons I always do my own work as much as possible.

I also have a Valet program for my 2x EFI ECU so when ever a shop has it it has 4k redline.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I would be far less concerned about the undertray damage, than the damage done to your wish-bone points. Yes, it looks like they used them as lift points.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yikes! Why did they lift from there!? Im sorry to see that you have to deal with this kind of stuff. It's been an experience of mine lately that a lot of shops just dont do things right/lack diligence regardless of the rate they charge.

I would definitely go back there & have them explain to you why those new damages there & that you demand to have them repair/replace parts back to factory spec. If they agree & make things worst or dont offer to help; I'd suggest looking in to legal action.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Damage was definetely done by improper lift points. Sorry to see that, but it is also why we must be meticulous about where we bring our cars.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys, I can see how someone mistakes it for a lift point, and at the same time I can't believe the shop wasn't upfront about it.

It is supposed to be the best autobody shop in our little town, and from the work I have seen come out of there, they deserve their reputation...hence the reason I went there. But...to be up front with it, now that is a whole other situation. Especially since it looks like the jack slid into the diffuser bending one of the fins pretty badly. Grrrr!!!

Anyways, I called this morning at 8am, secretary told me that the guy came in early and was working. So he left to go get breakfast and should be back by 9am. Well needless to say, it is almost 11am and I haven't heard from them. Going to give him the next 20 minutes to call me back, and if he doesn't then I will call him again.

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would go straight back to the shop as soon as you can to show them the issues before they might try to flip the situation around with the whole - "How do we know you didnt do this after you picked up the car"

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
that sucks - that's why i installed Tesprit's Lift Point Kit back there. Makes it safe for any shop to lift the car without removing the undertray. MWR sells them.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Those of us who own these cars know all the little details that you need to know about these cars and mostly thanks to this forum and other owners. Most body shops have no clue about jack points and how these cars are balanced and will look for the best spot they believe as a lifting point because that's what they do daily with everybody elses car. Just look at the picture of the yellow elise on its ass at the shop when one of the guys removed a front tire. I try and avoid shops like the plague but if I must take it to one, they will be informed of every detail I can possibly think of concerning working on this car. Too much damage occurs from the littlest of accidents.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
When I take my car even to get inspected I give them a full print out on how to start the car, get into reverse and a highlight of the jack points..

I would never assume people would just know these details....

I really hope they own up to it but I have seen dealerships get away with this more than I have heard of them paying...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Keep us posted. What a horrible situation to be in.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So taking a little time to calm down and process, there is plain evidence that they touched the underside of my car with something to try to lift the car.

Around the passenger 13mm bolt (where the largest amount of damage occurred) is a white powder that matches the powder that has covered my car from the shop. When I dropped the car off, the car was black. When I picked it up, the owner's words were "We didn't even drive it because we didn't want something to happent to it. So we didn't even rinse it clean, sorry about that." Well the powder on the roof is the same powder that is on that jack point, and the powder makes a circle that is approximately 4" in diameter.

I hate to break it to him, but that powder automatically makes him a liar, and so after avoiding me all day, and having an "appointment" in another town when I was going to drive down to talk to him, I plan on showing up tomorrow morning with the evidence and asking him in person if he wishes to keep denying it. If he admits that something occured and is willing to pay, that would be great. If not, then we will go to court.

I also have witnesses that know the car was at the autobody shop for the week, and a witness that knows the car's underpanel and diffuser was PERFECT the day before the car went into the shop. I will get affidavits from the witnesses so that there is proof. And I have already taken photos and I will be getting a sample of the dust tonight prior to going to see him tomorrow.

The next question is can I sue him for damages to the car, court fees, attorney fees, chemical analysis fees, and possible loss due to not mentioning the damage prior to autocrossing, then if something could have happened sued him for possible damages and endangering my life. Is this legit and possible?

I am not after money, and if he does the right thing I am ok with just getting the car repaired, but if not, then I want to know how much can I sue him for

Thanks again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So, the parts that have been bent are steel bolt on parts and not part of the aluminum tub, like the front suspension points are. This is lucky.

They could be replaced.

Or, to be honest, since they are steel, they could be straightened back out. Again, if they were aluminum bits that were part of the bonded tub like the front suspension mounts, you would be in a lot more trouble.

Pursue the shop for sure.

The mounts are part 14 on this page from lotusgarage:

Lotus Garage - Rear Suspension, Incl. Hubs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts