The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autocar has done a shootout to find the best handling car in Britain. They take an eclectic selection of cars to the Rockingham Motor Speedway and put them through their paces around the tight 1.7 mile track.

Many of the cars in the shootout are available here in the USA so you may want to see how your car did. Of course some of the cars are not available here and may leave you lusting:mad:

The Elise tested is a 135R... Not sure how that compares to the US car, however I am sure that the US cars could be tuned to similar specs. The Liz is up against a lot of competition... Some of it easy, some of it tough. See how she did.

The link is below... Be warned lots of images.

Here yah go!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Since they are quoting highest peak Gs I expect that the Sports pack cars will beat it. Most US magazines show average Gs around a 200ft skidpad, not peak Gs.

As I recall in that test against the 360 Modena te 111s post peak Gs over 1.2 on their course.

I think that someone within Lotus said that their target was 1.0gs average for the standard suspension and 1.2g average for the Sports pack. I don't now the particulars on that number (i.e. size of skidpad, average of left and right, concrete or ashphalt.

The Elise has not not gotten accolades as the best handling production car for nothing. I see that the purpose built track cars beat it (they don't count in my book) and the TVR tied it on peak G's. It would be nice to see TVR in the US again.

Greg

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Elise 135R is the euro spec elise with the sports suspension and Yoko A048R tyres so pretty similar to your sports pack. The big difference is that it only has 135bhp and weighs a bit less as it has the K series engine.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Wow! Look at the Elise's time compared to the Supercars. Very little difference. With Sport package and 190 HP for the straights, I'd bet the Elise would knock them all off. For wayyyy less money.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I compared my Boxster on 245 Hoosiers on a road race circuit (about 1.5 miles) and a friends Sport 190. It just about matches their results ( 5 seconds a minute faster). Driving at the limit in the Elise gave me understeer so I don't think the Elise was even set up correctly!
I think my laps were with a second or two of the more insane 600hp vettes/mustangs. I can't wait to try out mine when it eventually gets here:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
BTW Anyone ever asks you why you want this car, point them to the table showing
Peak speed (corner) ...
So much faster than anything else (streetable here).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Very interesting that at 352 bhp, and at 182% of the 135R's power-to-weight ratio, the Noble only outpaced the Lotus by 0.4s 'round the circuit.

When talking with Nick Adams at the LAAS, comparing the differing versions of the Elise, he grinned and said how at the end of the day the engineers and test drivers at Hethel could take any of the Elise flavors home for the night, and invariably the keys for the Toyota-powered (ie. Federal prototype) Elise were all gone off the rack, leaving the others to sit. Spoke volumes to him.

Now imagine our 190 hp Loti around Rockingham...

·
Registered
228 Posts
transio said:
The 135r pulled 1.14 lateral g's. I highly doubt our Elises will match that.
You can't really compare that number to numbers quoted from other sources outside the test.

Pulling a g on a track is far different than on a skidpad, due to banking and higher-than-normal g forces from momentary loading. But, comparing numbers across this test is highly relevant as presumably the numbers were pulled on the same day, same track, same drivers.

I'm betting that the extra power of the Federal Elise will overcome its extra mass, though I highly doubt it'll pull laps 0.8 seconds faster. Finding a tenth of a second on the track can be extraordinarly difficult, much less 0.8 seconds. At least that's my experience.

------------------

Looking at the data, one intersesting thing is that delta b/t top cornering speed and top speed. In the case of the Elise, it's a mere 20 mph, and the top speed is an underwhelming 98 mph, slowest among the top half cars. To me, this means that the Elise is really a 'momentum' car, and, in order to turn lap times as fast as it did, relies far more on handling than grunt. Stated another way, if the Elise had the heartbeat to pull 110 down the main straight, it would have demolished many of the upper tier cars.

Of course, we all know that. . .but I find it interesting nonetheless that the data so clearly showed it.

Thumbs up to the giant-killer. :D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Need4Speed said:

When talking with Nick Adams at the LAAS, comparing the differing versions of the Elise, he grinned and said how at the end of the day the engineers and test drivers at Hethel could take any of the Elise flavors home for the night, and invariably the keys for the Toyota-powered (ie. Federal prototype) Elise were all gone off the rack, leaving the others to sit. Spoke volumes to him.
Wait a minute, I heard the same story from him. Were you there on Friday morning (first day the show opened to the public)??

I talked to him for about 15 minutes and he convinced me that the touring package would be a plus for daily driving.

And that his old granny could hop in and out of the car, so we shouldn't complain.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
frayed said:
I'm betting that the extra power of the Federal Elise will overcome its extra mass, though I highly doubt it'll pull laps 0.8 seconds faster. Finding a tenth of a second on the track can be extraordinarly difficult, much less 0.8 seconds. At least that's my experience.
I recall somewhere it was stated that the new Elise was at least 1/2 second faster around the track at Hethel.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I recall somewhere it was stated that the new Elise was at least 1/2 second faster around the track at Hethel.
Interesting. That's phenomenal if accurate, as I wouldn't think the Toyota powered Elise would be that much faster on such a tight, technical track given the increase in weight. (comparing the Rover S2 vs. the Toyota S2)

BTW, on the Best of British video, the lead engineer (can't remember his name, same guy that drove in the Top Gear vid), stated the at the same power level, the S2 elise was 1.5 seconds than the S1. 1.5 seconds on that little track is an azzz-whoopin'.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If the HP is up some 30% over the 135, how much is the weight increase as a % of the 135? I find it hard to believe that the weight was up more than 10%, but i could be wrong. In other words, we are getting more bang for our buck. And the Federal Elise might be a lot better than the 135. I'm sure we'll have more answers once the damned thing finally gets here and all the mags get their grubby little hands on them.

5 weeks to go!? Please??

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Let's hear it for the Caterham, better than all but two cars and within fractons of a second of those!
I can only hope the Elise is as thrilling as my Caterham! We will see.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Hi Randy,
To clarify, which previous Elise model was it faster than?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Not quite what I had remembered....

Early review of the Exige-
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=873

Note, as far as I can tell, the S2 Exige is really a slower Elise.

The original, standard 199bhp Exige weighed just 780kg, yet ride and handling expert Mathew Becker says that the new car is 2.0sec per lap quicker around the Hethel test track. A significant amount given that the lap takes under 1.30min.

It’s brave of Lotus to let us drive the S2 Exige so early, but I sense that it wants to prove that even at this stage of development the decision to install the Toyota engine is vindicated, that it’s suitability will shine through.
From this, I would read that the new Elise is quicker than the lighter 199bhp Exige. By 2 seconds on that track. I think everyone would agree that the 199bhp Exige was a faster car than the 156hp Elise.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by jml1952
Wait a minute, I heard the same story from him. Were you there on Friday morning (first day the show opened to the public)??
He told me the same thing at the LAAS about all the feddy car keys missing at the end of the day. Which I was also glad to hear. I was there Friday morning also around noon. Nick is the guy with the beard, right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts