# Name Car Tire Region
Super Stock [SS] Count: 6

4 Enger, Mathew 05 Lotus Elise Burgandy
14 Enger, Jerry 05 Lotus Elise Burgandy
33 Watt, Thomas 01 BMW M5 Blue
71 Borelly, Scott 02 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 red
97 Gonzalez, Frank 02 Chevrolet Z06 Vette Yellow
197 Landstra, Steve 02 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette Yellow

I listed my son, but I'm not sure if I'm going to let him run the Elise or not. He's never autoXed before, and I may just give him a fun run after the event.

I'm still completely LTS. LSS next month, I suppose.

Stan-want to come down and help me take on these guys?

On question: I got a rear tire flat, and had it repaired. Does anyone think I could tear it apart on the autoX course? I'm bringing another can of fix a flat and my compressor to get home if needed.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With only 63 registered to date, we should get at least five runs each + fun runs...:)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Hey Jer...there's a chance I can make it...we'll see...if so I'll at least have the SSR/AO48s in place. Hopefully with a black finish.

Stan

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Surferjer said:
I got a rear tire flat, and had it repaired. Does anyone think I could tear it apart on the autoX course?
If it was properly (professionally) repaired, you will be fine. A shop will refuse to repair a tire that can't be plugged/patched safely. I had sidewall damage a couple of times, and they won't even touch that because they say that a patch wouldn't hold up. Remember that it won't break their heart to sell you a new tire instead of patching it, so that's what they'll do if there's any doubt. Not even talking about liability...

I might be more worried if you plan track days, where you will see sustained speeds that are far beyond normal highway speeds.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
On the tire plug...bring a plug kit just in case. It should be fine though. The best and safest pluggings are where they remove the tire and use a mushroom plug or other means from the inside. Then it can't come out, period and is safe to the tire's original speed limit. No effect on handling in any case. Sidewall damage = new tire time.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sidewall damage, plugged while on the car, where do I get a plug kit?

He used a two plugs together to make sure it would hold (about 3/8 inch cut). We reinflated it, and it seems fine. He said it should last for the life of the tire no problem. Of course, he ain't racing on it.

No track time, but autoX. If it doesn't hold, I want to at least get home so I can get more tires. What a pain. Thank goodness I was only 1/2 mile from the garage when it happened. A little fix-a-flat and I limped over there.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'd be great if you can make it, Stan. If not, I will really push hard to win this thing. Still unsure about my 19 YO son!

I painted my engine plastic covers. Will provide pics this weekend. I like it.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>No sidewall damage, plugged while on the car, where do I get a plug kit? <<<

Any auto parts store should have them along with some hardware stores. Did you use the Lotus fix-a-flat from our trunks?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the provided fix-a-flat can, and was less than impressed. I urge everyone to buy another bottle, because perhaps the can we got with the car is stale or something. It didn't do much.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Surferjer said:
He used a two plugs together to make sure it would hold (about 3/8 inch cut). We reinflated it, and it seems fine. He said it should last for the life of the tire no problem. Of course, he ain't racing on it.
You should never use plugs if you can avoid them. Well, regular plugs anyway. The kind that is just a strip of rubber that gets glued into the hole is not safe - they can come back out. There is a kind of plug that is somewhat like an umbrella. It goes into the hole spreads out, and is pulled back out until it sticks. That's better than a regular plug.

But the best way (and the only way as far as I'm concerned) to repair a flat tire is to remove the tire from the rim, and use a patch on the inside of the tire. As long as they are glued down properly (easy to do) they do not fail, and so long as the cords of the tire have not been damaged, the tire will last as long as the the rest of them on the car.

Many places like to plug a tire instead of patch them, because plugging is easy and quick - you don't even have to take the tire off the car in some cases. Patching requires a lot more work

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have the plug you recommend against. :( I hope it holds. There is about 5 inches of it inside the tire. And the cut was in a groove, which should help too.

Guess we'll see. I'm only going to racing on these tires two more weekends. After that I should have the LSS setup.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Had fun, got beat by the two Vettes today. One wasn't fair, though. The guy got to run about 40 times, in the first three heats, which was crap. I heard he was testing tires. And apparently he's a SS National Champ, or was, running a yellow Z06 on Hoosiers. His very best time in the high 39 second range. For some reason he had Carte Blanche to do whatever he wanted. It was bizarre and went unexplained. I will find out at the next Philly SCCA meeting.

The rest of us ran the 4th heat, with intermittent sprinkles and much colder temps. The Vette run by Scott Borelly put up a 42.3, and my best time was 43.4. My son ran my Elise to a best of 45.5 in his first meet ever, and the M5 topped out at 47+. I was encouraged, though, because in fun runs I lowered pressures in all 4s and ran a 42.6. I think I could do a bit better, and really look forward to doing schools next spring and swapping out my suspension and tires.

I LOVED the track; it started with a big, huge figure 8. Another Vette course in my mind, but a blast to run. Then a straight to another part of the parking lot, a Chicago Box followed by a quick slalom and a long, wide sweeper to end. Lots of straights and speed. I was in V V about 33% of the time.

I tried, but couldn't beat Scott. He's fast. And consistent. But each run I improve. I need a lot of seat time to really improve. Too bad winter approaches. One more autoX this year until Liz hibernates from racing for six months. :(

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, yeah-absolutely no problems with the plug in my rear tire. :up:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Looks like the kid is going to have to drive his own car next time.:D
Has to be very good to manage a mid engined car that easily.
m

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was really proud of him. Unfortunately, HIS car is a 94 Mustang GT over the top with mods. A dragster, and the anti-autoX car. He's a talented driver, though, and he's doing the school next April too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nazareth

Had a great time hanging out with you and your son. I enjoyed walking the course with you and sharing the differences in how we would approach the course based on the handling differences in our cars. Your son did a great job, and that was with zero seat time in the car before the event! That say's alot about the driver.

I am still a little confused as to why the other Vette was allowed to run without our group, and still have his time count? I agree with you that the course was favoring the higher hp cars on the upper "figure 8". The Chicago box going into the slalom was cool, you looked real fast going thru that section.

Good luck with the mods you have planned for the winter, and I will see you in the spring.
Scott

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scott-I saw the results, and the other Vette was not listed at all. You were listed at 42.5, me at 43.4. I really had fun, and it was great running against you. And yeah, when I saw that little slalom I knew that was going to be fun for me. The Elise just zipped through that so effortlessly.

I had a number of people tell me how smooth the Elise is, looking like it's not really working that hard. That's funny because I had it on the edge of its abilities (at least on thr Advans) most of the time. That was evidenced by my last run, when I was sideways the entire last sweeper before completely losing it at the finish line. I had to put it in reverse and back over the line. :rolleyes:

Hey, Scott-if you live close enough, go to the S Jersey SCCA website and sign up for the autoX on Oct 24th. They still have that event and one on Nov 21st. They are supposedly about 15 minutes east/south of Philly, probably closer than either Nazareth or Ripken for me. :clap:

Mathew is hooked like me. I was impressed enough with his runs that he can co-drive my car any time. Not bad for a 19 YO.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Theget-All eyes on me? I hope not. I'm not all that great yet...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jerry,
That is only fair that they did'nt count the other Vette. I think he was running 295 tires in the front, and 315 in the rear wich are not stock.

I will see if I can make it to the October event. See ya, Scott

1 - 20 of 31 Posts