The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this easy. What is the best (modern) Lotus, bar the 7, to use for Autocross and the occasional track day?

Discuss.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
That's not really easy at all. There are many factors.

But if you want simple:

2006 Exige

·
Registered
350 Posts
'06 exige is eligible for SS. 07+ is not.
but if classing doesn't matter, it's tough to beat an SC variant of some sort, especially if you plan on tracking it.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, yes, tracking it, HPDEs and rally. Amateur, to be sure. No club racing ( yet).
So we hear 2006 Exige and Elise (any). I hope there is some more insight than this.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I'll make this easy. What is the best (modern) Lotus, bar the 7, to use for Autocross and the occasional track day?

Discuss.
Elise. Specifically, Scott Bowman's Elise. If Scott's car, or one very like it, comes up for sale, I'm writing the check.

But that's just me. No, I'm not going to modify my stocker to suit. The right car will come along some day and i will make the switch.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, many venues or clubs do not allow "open top" car to participate in track days, or more specifically HPDEs. Any thoughts or insight on this by you track junkies?

The reason I'm asking is I was recently bitten by the Autocross bug and will now be looking for the proper car, but if I am going to make the investment I may as well attend track days and HPDEs as well. I don't plan on any club racing.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, many venues or clubs do not allow "open top" car to participate in track days, or more specifically HPDEs. Any thoughts or insight on this by you track junkies?

The reason I'm asking is I was recently bitten by the Autocross bug and will now be looking for the proper car, but if I am going to make the investment I may as well attend track days and HPDEs as well. I don't plan on any club racing.
Bueller? Bueller?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've only done 2 or 3 track days with my Elise, but I have the hard top, install it for the track, and no one has hassled me... Not saying the top gives any real safety margin, mind you...

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts

While this has come up in the past it's been a very long time since I had to deal with it. Just make sure you get a hardtop and just always act/assume that it's NOT a convertible (which it is not). So if anyone else hassles you just say "uh, it's a hardtop, period". As pointed out already the top does basically nothing for safety, that's what the integrated roll bar behind the seats is for.

The local BMW club used to be a pain about this when the Elise first came out. Within a year they realized they were wrong but they require hardtops (soft-tops are out). Just get a car with both.

And if you don't know yet you can convert the Exige to a soft-top like an Elise if you want (I did that but wound up selling my top as I never used it). So the Exige technically is NOT a convertible where some sites/groups call the Elise one.

So again to answer a rather complex question with a very simple answer

2006 Exige

-Ross

·
Registered
321 Posts
The local club I run with will allow the Elise without a top but you must have arm restraints. With the hardtop on, the arm restraints are not required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts