The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a ball autocrossing the Elise today. Since I did my 1000 mile (actually 1,334) checkup Saturday, I was good to go today. Posted better times each run, and REALLY pushed it. The car was probably the most capable one there in any group, especially if I had put racing slicks on it, but the driver only gets a "C". Still, my first race experience was an absolute blast! A very twisty course, not much for straights, so the Elise was right at home. I believe the fastest time recorded all day by a car (ignoring the two go carts) was 26.559 seconds, and I did a 27.6. I'm fairly certain there was another 2 seconds in the car, if only the driver was good enough to find it...

I highly recommend the experience to all.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Good for you, it must have felt nice to open it up and try to use all of the car's potential. Good experience too. Can you comment on what the car was telling you, what it seemed to do well and so forth? Also, got any PICs?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
You've already been "spotted" on the SCCA forums. Someone said they saw a burgundy elise at an autocross in PA. :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some observations from today:

-You CAN push it too hard, but you have to really, really push.

-It will outbreak anything on the planet. I didn't find this out until later when I rode in a Z4 (which posted the best time of the day) and saw how deep he carried speed into the hairpin. I could have carried even more, but didn't and lost at least .5 seconds right there. Oh well, next time...

-The car has amazing pickup all over the powerband, and because of the superb brakes, you can use it. I was in 2nd most of the course, and never touched V V. The next course has longer straights, so I can't wait.

-Mash it. Mash it. Mash it. It was built for it, and can take it. The car tells you exactly what it can and cannot do. The limits are phenominal. I think I actually felt the car exhale and smile. "Finally, someone's using me!" You know right where you are at all times. It's like the car you drove forever in that you are one with the car instantly.

Slicks would have helped a lot, but the Yokos were more than adequate to go fast.

I'm still smiling...:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW-I love to surf. Glad you liked it. And I did get the star shield, which I'm certain saved a few big pylon scuffs.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boeing helicopter hangar area bt the Philly airport. The next one is Sept 19th at Cal Ripken field in Maryland. I will be there.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Looks like that guy posting on sccaforums was quite excited! Quote: "I WANT ONE!!!!!!!" I think these cars will make a splash once they start showing up everywhere. I tried not to tell anybody that I ordered one, but the secret has started to leak out. People cannot wait to see it, and already started asking for codrives.

Did you get some action pictures? Video? :bow:

Edit: Hadn't seen the humping picture, that's kind of disturbing! -eek-

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Edit: Hadn't seen the humping picture, that's kind of disturbing! -eek-
and to think all this time I've been worried about how other people would bang their doors into my car...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no video or action shots. Sorry. I was busy behind the wheels :D

Someone there was filming, but who? I don't know. I think the biggest surprise response from people I got was when I told them it was my daily driver. There was a lot of envy from that.

I want to thank Joe from Joesellsminis and Steve (the z4 guy) for their help in coaching me through the course. With that help I was able to really improve my times, well past the goal I had set for myself and times that were competitive with the better cars in the field. With slicks and more driving experience, the Elise is capable of amazing things in autocross...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sept 19

When I drove up to Rothrock from MD last month for my test drive, I saw an autocross going on at Cal Ripken field on my drive back.

Think I'll come by and cheer you on...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no hope of being spectacular on Sept 19th, but would welcome the encouragement. I won't have slicks until next year, and I need a lot more than one autocross experience to really succeed. But it sure is a blast!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
God we ENVY YOU!!!!!

I am so excited for you I can hardly stand it. It makes the wait so much harder!?

Thanks for relating the story. I feel Autocross is exactly the outlet that will ............ keep me alive............ behind the wheel. My history is of too much excess on backroads with "high top-end vehicles". I've worked DOWN to a 600cc class bike, a Harley and am still trying to say no to the great deals on Viper GTS's and hold off til??? for my Elise.

Please any comments on understeer? Thinking of trying wider on front rubber if no slicks until next year? I'm still trying to lock my brain in on LSS. With my push it 'til it drags, spins, wrecks...... I'll definitely get a track day "driving school" in asap.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts