The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I took my camera, but realized that there really wasn't anything to photograph that hasn't already been photographed. I would have taken pictures of the KG car had it been available as that's a bit more rare.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hmm, didn't think you cound have too many Elise pics!:shrug: ;)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmm, didn't think you cound have too many Elise pics!
While a picture is worth a thousand words, seeing it yourself is a step up from that.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hit the wall in Hayama, Japan. It wasn't pretty. I had no business going as fast as I was. But I didn't get hurt. I only have one pic of the car and it was a bad one on a disposable camera after the wreck. I keep it in the sun visor as a reminder. I'll see if I can get it up here. It was a very good lesson though...
:wallbang:

I'll agree that seeing is believing with the Elise. I have been fortunate enough to live in Japan where they have had them for a while.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When I was down at VIR doing my race school a buddy and I went to the other course (VIR has different course configurations allowing a couple of good sized road courses to be run simultaneously) and they were running a track day. We pulled into the paddock just in time to see someone pulling out of the lot with a 3rd gen. RX7 on a trailer that was absolutely destroyed. Very sad, because you could tell that it had been really well cared for before the incident and now it was sitting on this trailer in a ball still smoking.
It sucks to see another one die. They're quite rare cars anymore and they're so cool. I always wanted one, but I can't stomach the insurance costs or the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Look what was in front of me when I was going out to lunch today. Of course I had to follow it back to the dealership and take a ride. I was very impressed with the LSS. It wasn't as harsh as I thought it would be on the beautiful roads of Metro Detroit. I'm still happy I didn't go with LSS because I can always go aftermarket at a later date.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
And one more...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't think that KG is for me, but those tires make me hot!

·
shay2nak
25,096 Posts
Damn, those pics are very nice. I like the pic from behind. Nice color. Not bad at all. This car looks WAY better with the hardtop.

thanks!

·
Registered
645 Posts
SWEET PICS!

As promised:

This is a pic of a pic but you get the idea.

Please be careful!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just got a call from Aaron Waterman (11:30 AM Wednesday 9/1). He wanted to let me know that the KG demo with LSS is broken in and asked when I'd be able to get there to drive it.
He also wanted to tell me that they have two cars that they purchased from other dealers and that they are offering immediately. The premium he quoted was much less than the premium he told me a week and a half ago...
I told him that I couldn't afford a premium and that the most recent price increase has me reconsidering which options to get on the car.
I didn't schedule a drive. He encouraged me to call him when I have time to make the trip and told me that it's a whole different car after 6k.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
NMRJock said:
He also wanted to tell me that they have two cars that they purchased from other dealers and that they are offering immediately.
:mad:

Did he mention what the specs were on those cars (color, etc)?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I know that one was black with touring and HT.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
the other one

is ardent red basic bare bones.... no options I'm going to drive the demo on Thurs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I have driven a lot around Detroit. It may be the one place I know of I would regret having LSS.
NMRJock said:
I'm look forward to giving LSS a go...
so am i:

i drove the elise last week. that cost me a $2000 refundable deposit at autoeurope (birmingham, mi). i am somewhere around #51 on the waiting list.

couple of weeks earlier i saw the car in person for the first time and tried it on for size. as far as the external esthetics go, seeing it in person i mostly confirmed my opinion based on the pictures. firstly, it is exotic (powerful) looking. but it is also (gentle) pretty in a way. it is still somewhat elegant - the amount of exciting and exotic in it is just enough - doing more could have been too much and doing less would have made it less of a lotus. i prefer the ferrariesque rear to the weird front, but it is a good kind of alien/insect/menacing-smile weird. the car looks even better with the top on.

entering and exiting the car is fun. it's very much like getting in and out of a spec miata or spec neon race cars. in their case roll cage is in the way, in this case it is the combination of an unusually high door sill and low roof and low seat. it requires some flexibility, but that stretching is a good warm-up and pre-minder of the driving fun to follow.

i knew the car would be low (as in height, not clearance, although that's the case too), but i was still surprised how low it is. i can rest my elbow on it while standing beside it. in spite of this, the room inside for the driver is amazing - by "amazing" i mean that i am 6'4", have spare headroom while sitting completely upright in the hardtop (not the case in my prelude), my knees are not in the way of anything (not the case in my prelude), and everything i need is right at my reach (just like in my prelude).

i was ready for the narrow pedal spacing - i have been wearing these wide-soled shoes to work and i was expecting i would not be able to press only one pedal at a time in them, so i brought my regular air-walk running shoes as back up. i needed that back-up. but the things is, even for me (size 12 or 13), just a regular pair of running shoes will do (just barely, but still) - no need for especially narrow racing shoes. by the way, just curious, anybody have any explanation why the gas pedal is just a weird bar-thin-loop-sort-of-thing? - it does not help the spacing any because in the same space a normal plate-type pedal would fit.

onto driving. i can't say i drove that car the way "driving" is supposed to be used in relation to it. the demo car was broken in so i was not given any restrictions, but i had that feeling that i have when in any other car i had never driven before - as if being in a new body - awkward, uncoordinated, insecure. so i didn't have confidence to drive the way i wanted to. not knowing the area did not help either (i'll fix that for the next time) - we went up woodward, and came down some other street while making only couple of turns. the day was perfectly clear and sunny, but an obstacle was traffic that was very heavy.

i still got to know the car it in many ways. even before taking off i played with the shifter to try to learn the feel. in neutral it sits obviously and strangely to the right. not a problem, just an observation. but even after driving it, i haven't really learned to consistently find the gears efficiently and gracefully. once i had to take it out of gear to figure out what gear i am in and what gear i should shift into. i'd say that's just a matter of time. what is not likely to improve with time is the clunkiness and roughness of the whole shifting experience. there is a clunky noise and a loose feeling when leaving and entering any gear. and the plastic around the shifter would not quite stay in place. it really makes me appreciate my prelude's transmission. i am probably just spoiled.

taking off and the use of the clutch required no thinking. felt very natural. i kept getting more and more into the throttle with every stop and go. the car moves very nicely. from the rest too. didn't quite have enough space or confidence to get out of the engine as much as it wanted to give. don't even know if i got onto the cam - i asked the dealer but he said he wasn't paying attention. i definitely did not feel the sudden push of the vtec sort, which is what i was expecting. it does make me wonder what that sort of push would do to this car in a corner. nevertheless the acceleration promises to be exciting, although not breathtaking. the amazing part is that it should not be one of those greatest handling cars that just really need some more power to make it one of greatest cars without the "handling" qualification.

now braking. the initial part of brake pedal travel has no effect whatsoever. which is what made me wonder more than once whether i actually pressed the brake or weather it was some misguided foot work. but then the brakes kick-in and they kick-in effectively. i couldn't really get to know them, but after that initial dead-zone, they work just the way i like them - and i rarely say that.

we made about three 90-degree turns, and each of them, due to unfamiliarity, traffic, looking for the brakes, and other excuses for my lack of confidence, i took very cautiously. the rest of the driving was pretty much straight or overly gently curving or congested. can't say i learned much as far as handling is concerned. next time.

the ride i know about. i know that lotus sport suspension is adequately comfortable for me for driving on and around woodward just north of detroit. that means it is fine for me on any road this car may turn up on. i did try to avoid some obvious craters - i still felt some though. i felt them through the seat significantly more than i would in my prelude. much worse is how i felt for the poor elise when i heard its vulnerable sounds coming from around the wheel area on such occasions. so i'd more worry about the car being able to take those hits than me. if it can take it, i can take it.

but steering! steering is what puts this car above any other car i have driven (granted that's not that many - but i am working on that). it truly and unmistakably reminds me of go-kart steering. every steering motion results in a predictable and directly related motion of the front end. i felt the texture of the road on my fingers.

i wish a had a real drive in this car. i want to feel it really accelerate, brake, and turn. i didn't have a fair chance at that. i will go back to the dealership in spring. by then i plan to really learn the area. and come during a time of least traffic. and i expect to get a longer drive.

i was told to expect to be able to make an order for my car in about 9-12 months, at which time i would get to select the options, and be required to put an additional $3000 for a new total downpayment of $5000, which at that time becomes non-refundable. to actually get the car, i was told, would take about another three months on top of that. the price will be whatever the official msrp price is when my actual car is delivered. and there is a $160 documentation fee. and plus taxes and plates of course. i hope to be selecting saffron yellow, one of the only two free colors, lotus sport suspension, hard top, limited slip differential, radio delete, and a/c delete - limited slip should become available but the last two will probably not.

currently:

Base Price: $40,930.00
Destination Charge: $795.00
Paint Option (Saffron Yellow): $0.00
Package Option (Sports Pack) : $2,480.00
Hard Top Option: $1,475.00
Limited Slip Option ? : ? (~1000 maybe?)
Delete Radio and A/C ?: ? (~ -500 maybe?)

Total Car Price: $45,680.00

Tax (@ 6%): $2,740.80
Dealer's Documentation Fee: $160.00
Licensing Stuff: ~$150

Total Out-Of-Pocket: $48,730.80 = a whole lotta money ! but my reasoning is that since i have this rare opportunity to afford (even barely) one of the greatest performing street cars ever - i must take it if i can - i'd keep it forever. because it may never happen again.

what annoys me is that the sport suspension is not included in the base price while a/c conditioning and radio are. doesn't that go against the very spirit of this car?

i currently can not afford it - when the time comes i should be - but may not be - able to afford it, or i may convince myself that i should not afford it. i will continue to evaluate other options, including used elises that may become available, and already assembled caterham 7s (autoeurope has a used one). i am also considering club racing a spec miata instead of getting the elise (could do that for years for the price of one new elise). ideally i would get the elise and then get into the spec miata couple of years down the road. and yet wider alternatives include various incarnations of s2000 (drove one two days ago - story to come - with the most accommodating sales lady - resulting in my most accommodating test drive ever - at maybe more than 40 minutes long! - squealing tires, front and rear, included!) and even possibly an evo (on my to-drive list). i also want to score a test-drive in a corvette - not that i'd buy one - just to feel it.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts