The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'll leave mine on auto...

When I park in the garage, I just let it auto immobilize as it's is much less of a battery drain then parking it with the alarm on (some times fro several days). Besides, the house alarm will let me know if someone has gotten into the garage.

Pressing the button is just something you get used to. It caused me all kind of problems when I first got the car (it would always "time out" before I was ready to start the car, but now things are second nature and it never "times out" on me...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tyger said:
The drain from the alarm system is negligible: less than 14 milliAmps armed and 10 disarmed. You stand to save about 4 mA by leaving the alarm off.
True, but even the manual points out that the battery will drain less with the alarm off. Even a few milliamps adds up to a bigger drain over an extended period of time.

Like I said, I don't bother with the car alarm in my alarmed garage. Everywhere else, the alarm is on...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MyElise said:
Now when I set the alarm the LED blinks for about 4 seconds and then the buzzer comes on for about 20 seconds. Then it goes off and all is well.
Sounds like it is giving an error code or something. Are any of the panels loose of the engine cover open? The manuals give the error codes that go with the blinking light...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Keeper said:
Searched around a bit and as far as I can tell, the alarm is 8186 but the manuals posted on this forum are outdated.
I'm not sure they are outdated - they have been very useful for many people - it's that they are hard to follow. They are in English and Itialian and the pages are in order that when printed on two side paper of the right size, will make a nice little booklet. But when looking at them in the order in the file, they appear to be randomly ordered. The information is all there, including how to program the various settings, which appear to be missing from the newer format. But all of them are useful.:up:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
neckstrap said:
I've just had another thought. On many alarm systems, the drivers door key switch resets the system.
It won't work on the Elise. The keyed door lock is totally separate from the alarm system. The key can't even unlock the door if it was locked with the remote.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
neckstrap said:
There is no way to be sure which pin is 18. I will not take chance of cutting the wrong wire and my wiring diagram doesn't even show 18 connected to anything.
Instead of cutting the wire, remove it from the plug. There will be a "clip" on the side of the connector in the plug that you can depress and pull the wire/connector from the plug. That way, it can be restore to original someday, and you won't have butchered the wiring harness. You can also simply plug another connector in the removed connector to connect a wire to ground. Cleaner, reversible, and you don't create future problems.

As for the wire color, I believe all the wires going to the alarm are black simply to make it more difficult for a thief to disable things. However, if you get the alarm manuals (there's a sticky and link in one of the forums), the installation manual includes a diagram that shows the numbering of the pins in the plug and what each wire is for...

But why not just do the reprogramming (in the manuals and detailed in other threads) to simply disable the alarm from functioning automatically. Simpler, and can be changed back easily. :shrug:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
neckstrap said:
I was hoping to do exactly as you suggested and just remove the pin from the connector. I'll try that next.
:up: Sounds good. I understand what's going on now...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
tsunami racer said:
well i just spent 45 minutes trying this and i can't get past the first PIN entry. i'll get the solid red light, after which i'll switch it on to get the blinks, count them, switch it back off and switch it on to enter the next number, and nothing. :wallbang:
Are you sure that you have the correct PIN? I ask because it might be that when you get to an incorrect entry, it stops accepting input... I have no idea if this is actually the case as I haven't attempted to enter the PIN on my car, but it might be a possibility... :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts