The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
This immobiliser can be a mysterious beast to defeat. I made the usual stupid mistakes: interior light left on, trunk lid left open. But even after conquering those I would find the thing coming back to life hours later. I reprogrammed it so often that I had the whole thing memorized, and could quickly repeat when the red "demon eye" returned. Eventually it has succombed. I might go check it again now....
I guess there must be some sort of legal requirement in the UK for this, but it sure goes against the idea of simplicity. Here in Western North Carolina we hardly ever lock a car anyway.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Keeper said:
Searched around a bit and as far as I can tell, the alarm is 8186 but the manuals posted on this forum are outdated.
I'm not sure they are outdated - they have been very useful for many people - it's that they are hard to follow. They are in English and Itialian and the pages are in order that when printed on two side paper of the right size, will make a nice little booklet. But when looking at them in the order in the file, they appear to be randomly ordered. The information is all there, including how to program the various settings, which appear to be missing from the newer format. But all of them are useful.:up:

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Tim, I didn't mean to imply that the content wasn't useful, but the manuals say 8168 and we have and 8186. In order to be considered current, I'd expect the manual to say 8186. One would think the same manual for the 8186 would be available.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
After reprograming to turn of the Immobilizer "passive arming" I discovered 3 things:

Factory Default was Function "F" 6 blinks (know this by dash LED slow blinking & observation of system operation)
Immobilizer passive arm "ON"
Alarm passive arm "OFF"
Siren output by button "B"

Recomended on this forum is to re-programing to function G-7 blinks.
This did not work for me because now the alarm passively armed.
Immobilizer passive arm "OFF"
Alarm passive arm "ON" (alarm armed by itself after approx. 90 secs.
Siren continuous

I programed to function N-12 blinks...same as factory except immobilizer "OFF".
Immobilizer passive arm "OFF"
Alarm passive arm "OFF"
Siren output by button "B"

To know what function is currently set observe the series of blinks that are slow, this is the one.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I've tried to disable the passive immobilizer I don't know how many times, but can't get past number 1 below. Tyger has even walked me through on the phone with no luck. I have a 8186, install date 4/04. After entering the last digit of step one, the alarm/immobilizer disables fine, but the system light does not stay one, it extinguishes just like you pushed the button. Then on step 2, when I push/hold the large button, the lamp will not give a long blink, and I'm done. I've heard I'm not the only one that has a Cobra that behaves this way. Anyone else have this issue or a fix?

Tyger said:
1 Go through the "emergency" procedure to disarm/mobilise mentioned on page 33 of your Elise owner's manual, but detailed on page 36 (not p. 18, as mine says). Begin with step 3 (do not do steps 1 & 2 on pg. 36). When this is done successfully the alarm system lamp will come on and stay lit.
2 Press the "A" (large) button on the fob for 5 seconds; the lamp will blink ONE long flash (putting you in the Mode Table). But keep going.
3 Turn the key to Off, and then immediately back to On. The lamp will make TWO long blinks, indicating you are now in the Functions Table.
4 The lamp will then quickly begin to flash one flash at a time. Press the A button. It will flash quickly twice at a time. Keep pressing the A button till the lamp blinks seven quick flashes at a time. This is the function you want to choose.
5 Press the "B" (small) button to store this function.
6 Turn the key to Off. Wait at least ten seconds.
7 Your immobiliser will now only come on in conjunction with the active alarm and door locking.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Dave said:
I've tried to disable the passive immobilizer I don't know how many times, but can't get past number 1 below. Tyger has even walked me through on the phone with no luck. I have a 8186, install date 4/04. After entering the last digit of step one, the alarm/immobilizer disables fine, but the system light does not stay one, it extinguishes just like you pushed the button. Then on step 2, when I push/hold the large button, the lamp will not give a long blink, and I'm done. I've heard I'm not the only one that has a Cobra that behaves this way. Anyone else have this issue or a fix?
Have you followed the programing instructions in the Cobra Install Manual?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
TheViper said:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=89558

You need page 10

Seems complicated but read it, its not so bad.

Let me know if I can help further
Thanks but I believe that's the same steps I posted above which were derived from the manual by Tyger. On that page 10, step 4, my alarm does disable fine after the last digit is sucessfully key-cycled (which indicates a correct code entry), but the light does not stay on solid when the key is turned back on.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Dave said:
Thanks but I believe that's the same steps I posted above which were derived from the manual by Tyger. On that page 10, step 4, my alarm does disable fine after the last digit is sucessfully key-cycled (which indicates a correct code entry), but the light does not stay on solid when the key is turned back on.
Are you sure you have the correct four digit code?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
TheViper said:
Are you sure you have the correct four digit code?
Positive. After entry, the immobilizer disables, siren beeps, lights flash - just like when I use the fob. Car can then be started. I've tried entering a invalid code, and the immobilizer continues to stay armed. I've also used this code in the past when my fob battery went dead...code works fine.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Dave said:
Positive. After entry, the immobilizer disables, siren beeps, lights flash - just like when I use the fob. Car can then be started. I've tried entering a invalid code, and the immobilizer continues to stay armed. I've also used this code in the past when my fob battery went dead...code works fine.
So, puting in the correct code will not allow the LED to go on permanently & allow you to go into the "Mode" table. Perhaps you need to get the alarm module change out under warranty.

Just a thought, you seem to be doing this (page 10) with the immobilizer "ON", try it when "OFF"

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Dave said:
My alarm doesn't behave the way Tyger describes and does behave like yours. Tyger's procedure was to skip steps 1 & 2. After countless attempts skipping steps 1 & 2, I did it again and but included steps 1 & 2. That did it. I think I had to resynce my fobs or some other trivial issue as a result be the immobilizer is off now.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=401514&postcount=21

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dave, Any Luck?

I am having the same roblem that Dave described. I've written to Tyger and he is confused too. Has anyone solved this issue? I am getting tired of going through the whole routine just to start the car. I'm sure the guys at the paint shop will LOVE it!

Paul

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
neckstrap said:
I am having the same roblem that Dave described. I've written to Tyger and he is confused too. Has anyone solved this issue? I am getting tired of going through the whole routine just to start the car. I'm sure the guys at the paint shop will LOVE it!

Paul
Nothing has changed for me...tried this per the manual a hundred times. I've talked to a few others with the same bizarre issue. I hate the automatic immobilizer feature.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts