The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, has Lotus ever made a model that had an automatic transmission? :shrug:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
why in the world would they do that?
sports cars are supposed to be stick shifts.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
tell that to every other sports car company, ferrari, lambo, etc...:shrug:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Short answer: Yes.

The 70s Elite is the only model I know of, but I could very easily be wrong.

Edit: After some more searching, it looks like the Eclat (75-82) and Excel (85-92) were also offered with a 4-speed auto.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget the wonderful front wheel drive Elan in the 70s..... was it an automatic as well ?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Who also make their cars available with the man pedal. LOL! I think the Enzo and FXX are the only production Ferrari's without a stick.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ferrari and Lamborghini don't make sports cars. They make ultra expensive exotics. Heck, Lamborghini doesn't even make cars used for sport. Real performance cars have manual transmissions and no torque converters whether or not they have a clutch pedal.

The Eclat, Elite, and Excel of the mid 70's to early 80's were offered with automatics as options.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Don't forget the wonderful front wheel drive Elan in the 70s..... was it an automatic as well ?
You refer to the '90s M100 Elan like is was a bad thing - it wasn't. And as far as I know, they were all manuals.

Besides that race car, one of the later versions of the Ford GT-40 had an automatic - it did very well in endurance racing.

As for an automatic being a bad thing for a sports car - well, I prefer a manual (all my cars have a stick), but there are people, who for various reasons can't drive a stick. My brother-in-law for instance used to race, but after loosing his left leg in an accident, he can no longer work a clutch. He'd love to have a Elise, but ... :shrug:

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
We are currently working on a sequential shifter for the Elise/Exige platform. Should be done in a few months.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
The plan for the m100 was to eventually offer an automatic as well as AWD at some point. Neither made it into production. Mike Kimberley is on record saying the new Eagle Project will offer some type of auto box. no official word on whether it will have a torque converter or not.

·
Registered
685 Posts
There were a few, very few, Elites (type 14) with the Hobbs 'box. Yes, that Hobbs, David Speed Channel Hobbs. They were, of course, after-market.
The "Mechamatic" it was called, and Stirling Moss had one, and Hobbs himself raced one.
I seem to remember Ford dabbled with it, too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Short answer: Yes.

The 70s Elite is the only model I know of, but I could very easily be wrong.

Edit: After some more searching, it looks like the Eclat (75-82) and Excel (85-92) were also offered with a 4-speed auto.
My Uncle had this model Elite with an auto. I once took it for a spin and got rearended by a minivan going about 40 MPH. The front of the minivan was destroyed and there was hardly any damage to the Elite:shrug:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Lamborghini also made an auto that looked like the Elite, I think it was called an Espada. Just some more bathroom reading trivia for everyone.
You read LotusTalk in the bathroom? :eek:

You must really use your laptop on your lap... ;) rotfl

1 - 20 of 34 Posts