The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the Toyota site, and they offer an automatic transmission for the Cellica GTS. I wonder if Lotus will ever offer it as an option.

Not that I would ever want one - all my cars have always been manuals. but there are some people that are physically incapable of driving a stick.

Just food for thought.

Tim Mullen - wondering what kind of debate this will start...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
(Flame suit on) ;)

Considering the nature of the Elise, I think the only type of non- stick-shift transmission would be the SMG type or F-1 type. I think the MR2 is now available with the SMG tranmission.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
...or maybe a true sequential system (and not just a sequential interface like Toyota, BMW, Ferrari, Aston, et al) such as one found on a motorbike. Straight cut gears might be cool.

I know someone with a Celica GT-S automatic. For sedans and touring cars these days, automatics are getting pretty good with their five, six, or even seven speeds. However, the Celica gives you a four speed with that rev happy motor we've come to know. I believe when the car went to redline if fell back to the lower cam after the upshift causing serious bogging issues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The automatic GT-S is a slug, it's almost 2 seconds off the quarter mile times of the manual.

But it shouldn't be too hard for an OEM (Lotus or Toyota) to get the MR-2 Spyder's SMT system to work on a 2ZZ-GE gearbox :)

A CVT could also be cool, but I don't know what their tranny losses are like.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Canyon Carver said:
Has there ever been a Lotus that offered an auto?
Actually, I think there were a couple of Excels...

A couple of other Lotuses were converted to autos by private owners...

Even though we wouldn't want an auto (a least I don't), there are some people that can't drive a stick - for instance I have a brother-in-law with only one leg - he lost it in a racing accident. But then again, he still rides dirt bikes and roller blades using his prosthetic.

I was just thinking that since they are using the Toyota engine and trans from the GT-S, they could possible simply substitute the automatic for the same GT-S for almost no development cost.

Again, food for thought - and something to talk about instead of paint colors...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just say no to automatics:D

Seriously, if you are physically incapable of driving a stick you are definitely physically incapable of getting in the Liz in the first place.
Plus you probably shouldn't be doing any spirited driving either.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It would be a shame to put the GT-S tranny on the elise. The 4-speed gear ratios are so wrong for that car...like previously stated, it makes the car a slug.

A good friend of mine had exactly the same car as me, same suspension and all, but his was an auto. We took both our cars to the track, and his was a disaster. It was like we werent even in the same class.

What a joke...all that R&D toyota put into the new celica to only put a lame cheap excuse for a transmission. Atleast other companies have upgraded to 5-speed autos...something desperately needed on this little motor.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My wife asked if it came as an automatic. And since I'm a little older now, she was wondering if I would be able to handle a stick as I get even older.

NO AUTOMATIC. NO WAY, NO HOW. NEVER. SACRILEGE.

Although getting older sucks, it does beat the alternative. And I don't expect to be so decrepit that I can't handle a manual transmission, at least not anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I can't picture anyone who doesn't at least have the capability of learning to drive stick before buying an Elise being capable of driving one well to begin with :rolleyes:

The last thing we need is a bunch of morons who can't drive cruising around in Elises, crashing them, and raising our insurance rates.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I can't picture anyone who doesn't at least have the capability of learning to drive stick before buying an Elise being capable of driving one well to begin with :rolleyes:

The last thing we need is a bunch of morons who can't drive cruising around in Elises, crashing them, and raising our insurance rates.
I think 'CC'
would turn over in his grave if he heard that an auto-tranny was contemplated for the Elise. I think we should have Congress pass an amendment, never allowing the U.S. Elise to be contaminated by 'automatic trannys'.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My wife's favorite looking car is the Viper and she would have one now if it came as an automatic.

I tried to explain why some cars just shouldn't come without manual transmissions.

Although I like the look of the new Ford T-bird, I believe that it only comes as an automatic. Says a lot about that car.

I never thought about it before, but is anyone buying an Elise who doesn't know how to drive a stick yet?? It's not that hard, but does take practice. When I was a kid, after I had learned the basics, my father took me to San Francisco and made me practice on hills. Quite an experience trying to take off from a standstill going uphill on a steep slope. You do learn pretty quickly to hit the brake when you mess up and start over.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Last Fall, at one of our track events, an employee from Lotus Engineering was driving a manual Corvette without the use of both legs. Darn impressive if you ask me! He wasn’t slow either.

Brian

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Canyon,

Lotus produced the Excel (SA) and Elite (503) in automatic form. Don't count out a auto in a couple of years (maybe when the 2007 is intro'd) when Lotus needs to seek out continued sales growth after all us nuts have one. If Lotus wants to compete with the Z4, SLK, Boxster, etc, they'll need to think of the full range of buyers. I'm not saying that the auto box will be the best thing, but then again, look what they did with the M100 Elan and front drive. Who am I to argue with genius?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It's been 18 years with nothing but sticks. Before the Elise, was looking at non-sports cars even with a 5 speed auto with manual mode, it's not close to the response you get out of a stick. The Elise with lighter torque & high reving motor wouldn't work very well. Now a Viper with all that low end grunt, it wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wallabyguy said:
I'm not saying that the auto box will be the best thing, but then again, look what they did with the M100 Elan and front drive. Who am I to argue with genius?
Where was the genius in the Elan:confused: :D
FWIW...I just saw one on the road for the first time in several years just yesterday.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
(Flame suit on) ;)

Considering the nature of the Elise, I think the only type of non- stick-shift transmission would be the SMG type or F-1 type. I think the MR2 is now available with the SMG tranmission.
Before I discovered the Elise and fell in love with it (as did my wife), I was fascinated by SMGs. I even almost bought a BMW Z4 with a SMG. I looked into the Toyota MR2's SMG and found out that it is a pretty bad implementation of a SMG (very un-Toyota like). It shifts pretty slow (unlike BMW's SMGs, which can shift fast in sport mode), and has no automatic mode. The accelerations numbers for the MR2 are
0-60 mph : 7.0 sec.(manual), 8.3 sec.(SMG)
In comparison, on the BMW Z4, the manual and the SMG accelerations are the same.

For a review, see
http://www.modernracer.com/history/toyotamr2history.html
http://www.modernracer.com/toyotamr2.html

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hey Chris,

I found the SMG system in the Z4 to be inferior to that in the M3. In fact, the Z4's unit comes from Magnetti-Mirelli (and not their best either), while the M3 unit was developed in-house. Do you feel the same way?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts