The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the board, I have been a big fan of the Lotus Esprit since I was a kid and finally I have decided to buy one.

Now the question I have which I know I'm going to get flamed for is there a way to convert the manuel transmission to a automatic transmission or that can not be done?

Thanks,

Tony

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
As far as I know an "automatic tranny" cannot be done...

However, you can get a sequential tranny for about 35K USD...which is a little too much in my opinion.

I personally think the easiest way is to get familiar with driving a "stick shift"...which is way more fun anyways.

Alan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the board, I have been a big fan of the Lotus Esprit since I was a kid and finally I have decided to buy one.

Now the question I have which I know I'm going to get flamed for is there a way to convert the manuel transmission to a automatic transmission or that can not be done?

Thanks,

Tony
Are you missing your left foot or hand or something??? :shrug:

·
Registered
337 Posts
There IS a way, since the Lotus Elise which was entered in the DARPA Challenge was converted to Automatic. But all that required was the full resources of Lotus Engineering ;) They claim it's the only one in the world and I'm with the others who think that's probably for the best :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you are not handicapped, learn to drive a manual.

If you are, there are ways to automate the clutch. I have a friend who had polio and can't use one of his legs very well. He has a Triumph TR4 that he modified with a button on the shift lever that activates the clutch. It worked very well and the clutch could still be used in the standard way.

Not sure how this would translate to a high performance car, though.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't think toyota made a auto tranny for the 2zz.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...as mentioned above, if you're disabled, there are several companies which do hand-control conversions to just about any car on the road, but that can be a very expensive one-off process...

...manual transmissions are nothing to be intimidated by; anybody can learn to drive one in an afternoon, and with a week or so of extended practice you'll be fully proficient...try renting a car with a manual transmission, have an experienced friend come with you to pick it up and drive it out to a big empty parking lot somewhere for practice...

...if you're worried about very steep hills, well, it's true that there are some situations in which a manual transmission can be challenging...still, once you're proficient with driving one, you can attack any specific challenges you might face in your daily commute with methodical practice...sometimes the handbrake is neccessary, but with a carefully-planned strategy it's seldom required - i daresay that most such terrain isn't suitable for sportscar ground clearance anyway...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey that wasn't that bad, I thought you guys were going to torture me.

I'm not handicapp but yes it is intimitating. I did go to a friends house yesterday but he has a Nissan Altima and I learned in 5 minutes but with a Lotus Esprit I'm not sure if it would be that easy or is it?

I'm thinking of renting a corvette or a porche with the stick shift and practice that for a day. I guess when you one something that bad you will learn no matter what. :--)

Thanks for the advises!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's funny was on Friday I was going to work and I came to a red light and the car which was next to me, was alittle behind me so I couldn't really see it and I could hear the engine which was very loud.

I was thinking man if only I had the Lotus now I would show this guy, anyways when the light turned green I wanted to see what kind of car it was and when he passed me it was a 1960s Lotus! I guess thats a sign or something.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I promise you will learn with practice.

My Porsche, which was my first manual, was so simple, easy and smooth that any moron could do it. (except my friend, who stalled 49 times learning how to drive it, and sadly, never actually learned)

The key is practice. Some people say you can be proficient in a week. But it took me several months to become perfectly comfortable with it, where I could operate it under any circumstance. You'll look back and laugh at the fact you made this thread... :)

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I'm not handicapp but yes it is intimitating. I did go to a friends house yesterday but he has a Nissan Altima and I learned in 5 minutes but with a Lotus Esprit I'm not sure if it would be that easy or is it?
Every clutch is a little different but you'll be fine. My 11 year old daughter is currently learning to drive a manual in a combo of Honda Civic and Lotus Elise and soon a RHD Lotus Seven, just so she is ambidextrous with a shifter :D.

Go get your Esprit and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Go get your Esprit and enjoy.
++

...it's perfectly normal to feel nervous when you first learn a manual transmission, but you'll come to love the experience...

...if you're renting something to learn on, try a cheaper economy car, as the basic skills are the same but the first week or so of learning can be pretty hard on its clutch...absolutely you'll be able to get the hang of it, though, no worries...

...once you get your esprit, take it easy and maintain a relaxed driving style until you're completely comfortable operating the manual transmission as a daily driver...high performance driving is challenging enough without throwing unfamiliar control operations into the mix, and lotus are more than enough car that you'll have no need to prove anything on the streets...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I learned how to operate a clutch by riding a 350 dirt bike before I was a kid. It made me learn real fast. -eek- After that a car was easy. The only real benefit I can see to an automatic is traffic jams. Sometimes I miss autos when I am in one for a few hours but that quickly fades when I finally get to run through the gears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I promise you will learn with practice.

My Porsche, which was my first manual, was so simple, easy and smooth that any moron could do it. (except my friend, who stalled 49 times learning how to drive it, and sadly, never actually learned)

The key is practice. Some people say you can be proficient in a week. But it took me several months to become perfectly comfortable with it, where I could operate it under any circumstance. You'll look back and laugh at the fact you made this thread... :)

I agree, anything you need to be good at just needs practice.

49 times?? And I thought 5 times was bad. lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts