The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Doin my first autocross this sunday:nanner:
My brake fluid is a bit murky and I don't know if I'll have time to change it between now and then. Will I fail my tech if it's too dirty? Do they even make us take our access panel off?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Typically the tech inspection is simple, pop your engine hatch, show your helmet so they can see if it has a recent enough cert. Check to see if you removed all the loose stuff in your cockpit, including floor mats. Most commonly failed item on an Elise in our area is a loose battery, make sure it is cinched down and not wiggly. I don't think they will examine the color/clarity of your brake fluid at a local autocross.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Also important to note that the discolored fluid can cling to the surface of the reservoir. Mine still looks black after a change from the outside, but fluid is clean on the inside.

Never had anyone check brake fluid at an autocross tech inspection. Fankly, they're not very intensive these days. Don't even sit in your car to turn wheel and feel brake pedal.

My father was autocross chair of his club (Brandywine Motorsport Club) in 1976. They would always pull/push on all 4 tire tops to check wheel bearings, and had another test where they had you brake with hands off the wheel at slow speed to check for a stuck/uneven front brake caliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts