The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I've lurked lately for long enough...

Just got back from a test drive of the Autostrada demo car. I had a chance to drive the Euro Mule last fall and had a fantastic time then. Driving the real deal was amazingly 10x more fun.

First of all, they fixed all of the little issues that I had previously. I have wide feet and I had some initial issues with the brake being so close to the accelerator. During today's drive, while I could sense that they were close, I didn't have any overlap issues at all. They also angled the shifter to the right and it wasn't pushing up against my leg anymore. Overall the car felt incredibly comfortable.

The entire experience felt so much more refined. The ride was smooth, even at high speed over somewhat questionable terrain. Even the seats felt a little more comfortable. The car has great sightlines, even with the giant window sticker on the right.

The demo is Ardent Red w/ Touring, black interior. The car really stuck to the road as much as I wanted to push it. We took it though a twisty run that had signs posted for 15mph that I took at 45mph. I probably could have done it at 60 but I didn't want to run into some kid or something. The car doesn't even have 200 miles on it yet so I wasn't able to take it to the high rpm range, but I never felt like I needed to (but had a strong desire to run it).

The only problem that I saw was an annoying rattle/squeak sound coming from the passenger door. It looked like they just needed to tighten a pin or something and should have it worked out. Overall the road noise, even at high speed wasn't bad at all. You certainly get a lot of looks from the other drivers, that's for sure.

Autostrada also had another Ardent customer car and a RG one. I can't say enough about Andrew and Neil over there, they have been top notch. I can't wait to have to put my order in (I'm in the next batch). My brother gets his likely in October, the bastard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
atyclb said:
did they have the hardtop off?
Yes, the hardtop on the demo has been removed.

Haven't you gone for a spin yet? I suggest going for a test drive on a weekday. There was a small army of people surrounding the car on the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
atyclb said:
did they have the hardtop off?
The hardtop was off, but you could see the one they left on the RG car in the showroom. The ardent car inside only had the soft top on. The hardtop looks really nice, but around here I'd probably only leave it on for about three months during the winter. Save the soft top in the drunk for any rain during spring, summer and fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Did you redline it like I did? It was great. I didn't think an 8k clutch dump would spin the tires so much. That thing is going to be so abused. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
huggy bear said:
Did you redline it like I did? It was great. I didn't think an 8k clutch dump would spin the tires so much. That thing is going to be so abused. :D
No, no redlining. I wouldn't want someone doing that to my car, I'm not going to do it to theirs. Apparently the demo has already been sold, they're just waiting until the required time to hold onto it is up. Must be hard being that guy knowing all these other people are driving his car. But then again he'll have his before I have mine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,834 Posts
aletes said:

Haven't you gone for a spin yet? I suggest going for a test drive on a weekday. There was a small army of people surrounding the car on the weekend.
I did, but the top was still on.

This calls for another test drive.

Is anyone going by to meet Randy tomorrow a.m.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Did Randy say when he was going to be there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,834 Posts
aletes said:
Did Randy say when he was going to be there?
I don't think so, but I assume he may try to get there soon after they open so that he can get the service done and then back on the road.

perhaps he'll check in tonight? Is he staying with somebody here? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
BraFish said:
No, no redlining. I wouldn't want someone doing that to my car, I'm not going to do it to theirs. Apparently the demo has already been sold, they're just waiting until the required time to hold onto it is up. Must be hard being that guy knowing all these other people are driving his car. But then again he'll have his before I have mine!
Actually it is hard, but the harder part is when people say...

huggy bear said:
Did you redline it like I did? It was great. I didn't think an 8k clutch dump would spin the tires so much. That thing is going to be so abused
and also...

huggy bear said:
That's the trade-off.
After all, it isn't as if anyone is really testing anything either. it is a joy ride, which is fine, but lets all call it for what it it. Also, the cars should be broken in as specified. If you would feel comfortable having someone else mention abusing YOUR car, and manage not to get upset, you should receive some sort of religious recognition for your virtues - I am not that person.

I will be picking up the car soon, and am the "owner" of the demo car. I chose the demo because of a timing problem with my other car and have ahd my deposit in for a very very long time. I have also been tenative until recently to admit that I was the purchaser of this car so that no one would feel ashamed to "test" it. However, seeing certain people continually post about the abuse of this car, expecialy at his hands on a car he does not yet own is more than a litlte frustrating.

On a more positive note, I hope you had some fun. I test drove it a few miles when it came it. You are right about the car sticking...It is simply amazing. Also, it was fun for me to feel the heat coming from behind me. It was a small thing, but at a stoplight you could really feel it.

It is really too bad that there are 2 of the same color in the place right now. I would have loved to see the Chrome Orange in person, but we can't have everything. I am sure that the BRG car will be there for a few weeks for people interested in the color to see in person, and the AR is hard to miss. It looks very different in the sun however, and has more of what I would call a cherry red tone, which is very, dare I say it.... pretty.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
atyclb said:
perhaps he'll check in tonight? Is he staying with somebody here? :confused:
Good question. I hope he makes it to Austin tonight. I offered my spare bedroom to Randy but he may have already made other plans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
atyclb said:
perhaps he'll check in tonight? Is he staying with somebody here? :confused:
Good question. I hope he makes it to Austin tonight. I offered my spare bedroom to Randy but he may have already made other plans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Mean TT said:
Actually it is hard, but the harder part is when people say...
Don't get your panties up in a bunch. I was just KIDDING. Just getting a rise out of you, but it is a demo and you should expect some things like that to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
BraFish said:
My brother gets his likely in October, the bastard!
Ah yes.. I sure am.

Mean TT: I too got to test drive your car today. Very very nice! It's amazing to me how excited this car makes me. I can't wait for mine to arrive. I can't imagine the agony you must be feeling to have seen and driven your car and then having to wait to take delivery.

I guess on the bright side you'll have a shorter break in period. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Re: Re: Autostrada Test Drive

Zor said:
Ah yes.. I sure am.

Mean TT: I too got to test drive your car today. Very very nice! It's amazing to me how excited this car makes me. I can't wait for mine to arrive. I can't imagine the agony you must be feeling to have seen and driven your car and then having to wait to take delivery.

I guess on the bright side you'll have a shorter break in period. :)
And I live about 3 blocks away. Pass my car up everyday. DAMMIT!!! It will be soon though. The guys there have been very understanding with my current car rental situation. An F-150 is no place for an Elise driver to be to have to stand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Don't worry TT - Huggy Bear ran the same joke with me a few days back, except it wasn't quite as mean then since my car isn't the demo.

Huggy Bear, are you actually based in Austin? When is your car arriving?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
girlracer said:
Don't worry TT - Huggy Bear ran the same joke with me a few days back, except it wasn't quite as mean then since my car isn't the demo.

Huggy Bear, are you actually based in Austin? When is your car arriving?
I am beginning to think this guy is in highschool.

If not chronologically, he definatly qualifies based on his maturity. :no:

BTW who needs to lie about things such as test drives on a message board anyway? I think we might have an active lurker here, someone who isn't even on the list!!!:no: :no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
girlracer said:
Huggy Bear, are you actually based in Austin? When is your car arriving?
Acutually I'm an international man of mystery and my car arrives sometime after yours. You can call me Mr. Bean.

Mean TT said:
I am beginning to think this guy is in highschool.

If not chronologically, he definatly qualifies based on his maturity. :no:

BTW who needs to lie about things such as test drives on a message board anyway? I think we might have an active lurker here, someone who isn't even on the list!!!:no: :no:
Like I said it was a joke. I said I was KIDDING! GET OVER IT. Do you need a lesson with hooked on phonics to comprehend the words that I typed earlier?

No need to call me immature. If my posts are sometimes sophomoric so be it. After all this car is just a toy for big boys and girls. Some of you people take things way to seriously (I may be guilty of this sometimes) and some of you have very thin skin. It's just a car forum.

Plus you two wouldn't want to really piss me off. I know where your cars are right now! <----- JOKE.....HAHA
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top