The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you have expressed interest in the Exige (just as I have since I prefer coupes versus verts/targas).

On today's (July 28) autoweek.com site, there is a little article about Lotus adding to it's dealer network now that the Elise has been released. In addition, it mentioned that Lotus is considering extending its U.S. range by adding the Exige and in words of John English, "We are looking at the possiblilty within the Exige family but I cannot talk about it right now" he said.

Maybe they will widen the pedal placement and I could actually buy a Lotus afterall :D

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Bringing the Exige here is a no brainer since no additional testing would be required. The problem is justifing a premium over an Elise. Typicaklly in the US, a convertible would have the premium over the coupe. Additional HP would help in the form of a supercharger or turbo. I'm sure by next spring we'll have something firm.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
"within the Exige family"...since when was there a family of Exige products? I think this strongly suggests that a supercharger is, indeed, just around the corner.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would really prefer an Exige

Still, hard to know IF it will come, and WHEN

I could see it taking anywhere from 1-3 yrs

Since I am now experienced at waiting for Loti, perhaps I should just make it a profession...

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
If they brought it here with more power, I'd probably trade my Elise towards one.

Sad that I'm already talking about trading in a car that I haven't even taken delivery of yet :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if it pays to get a deposit down just in case it comes next September as a 2006. What the heck, I had my money ready for deposit on an Elise last weekend and went home with
nothing.

In reality, it can't really be too much effort to Federalize this car since Lotus has already done it for the Elise so bringing an Exige to market here for the 2006 model year certainly is in the realm of possiblilty.

Just the fact that Mr. English doesn't want to talk about it right now makes me think it could be sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Hmm. If Lotus will need to redesign the Elise in 2006 for the bumper issues, it would probably mean that, if the Exige does come to the U.S., it will either:

a) have the new bumpers; or
b) not come till after 2006.

It wouldn't be cost effective to send the Exige over here for a one year run and then have to redesign it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Given the choice, I'd rather buy an Exige. If you're going to get the most race car like ride available, you may as well go all out and get the Exige. I prefer coupes for the track anyway.

I hope it does take a year or two for an Exige to arrive. Even though my Elise spot would probably take another 6-10 months, the timing would actually still not be that great for me. If I decide that the Lotus is what I really want, it'll be because I want to keep it forever....not because it's the flavor of the month.

In two years, I should be settled and should have a house with room for a Lotus. 6-10 months may be rushing it a bit and I vowed not to buy another car until AFTER I have the home that I want.

I'll use up the S2000 until the warranty is up and I will sit and watch for the Exige.

I wonder how long until Dealer Exige lists start? Maybe I should tell my dealer to keep the $$ and roll me over onto the new list.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I prefer the Elise. The wing and hardtop take from the shape of the Elise.

With the Exige, is it considered a different car as far as the exemptions go ? If it is, I doubt we'll see them over here for a while.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
We are looking at the possibility within the Exige family," English says. "I cannot talk about it right now."
How do you intrepret this? Right now, there's only the Exige. Could this mean there would be a regular Exige (Elise with fixed roof and sport suspension) and an Exige S with more power and higher prices?

I can't see too many people paying $55,000 for what is basically a fixed roof Elise with sport package.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gromit said:
I prefer the Elise. The wing and hardtop take from the shape of the Elise.

With the Exige, is it considered a different car as far as the exemptions go ? If it is, I doubt we'll see them over here for a while.
Maybe this is extreme, but I think it's like the difference between a 308 GTS and a 288 GTO. Yeah, they kind of look the same. The top comes off of one and not the other.

Someone sees a 308 GTS and says "Wow. Very nice car. It's pretty and can perform."

Someone sees a 288GTO and says "Now that thing it totally BADASS. HOLY CRAP!"

There is nothing subtle about the Elise or the Exige ... so trying to keep it elegant is silly, IMO. I'd opt for the totally "in your face" car that makes 12 year old boys scream "MotherF.....er!" Exige all the way.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you like the Exige you should see the cars being built for the German Exige race series, they were beautiful! Full cage, fire system, 6 point harnesses, external kill switch, fuel cell, race seat, the works. These cars can be driven right onto the track and the race series. The fit and finish was fastastic and ready to race! Now that's what we need brought in!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Bringing the Exige here is a no brainer since no additional testing would be required.
I don't know if this is totally accurate. The Exige is not just another trim level of the Elise. That being the case, I'm relativly sure that the Exige will have to go through *all* the same testing the Elise did - not cheap for Lotus and may require a pretty heafty price tag to justify the expense on such a limited run car. Not that that is a bad thing. ;)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
transio said:
Exige + Motorsport Exige = Family?
I thought the original Exige was the road going version of the Motorsports Elise. Thus, no one can say the Exige is faster than the Elise. :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think in the US they could call the Exige a different trim level and get away with importing without doing all of the testing again, the car is the same except for the suspension and being a coupe.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
fredg said:
I think in the US they could call the Exige a different trim level and get away with importing without doing all of the testing again, the car is the same except for the suspension and being a coupe.
I don't know for a fact, but I'm pretty sure that any difference between cars that can't be made outside of the factory require a new set of testing. This would make sense as the structural integretity of a targa is less than that of a coupe - which would mean that it would react differently in a crash.

I'm also fairly sure that if the car is deemed different, the engine needs to be type certified for that car - even if it has already been certified in another car. You can imagine that if you put a Neon engine in a Durango, the neon engine would be overstressed and would likely cough out a lot more crap that it would in the Neon. Changing the tuning would also mean a re-certification is needed.

We know the Exige and Elise to be darn near the same car, but trying to convince a huge beuracracy of that is next to impossible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts