The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running my first Novice autox next weekend. Have Toyo R888's.

Any suggestions on tire pressure??????

Cricket Cricket..........

Any suggestions on a cheap reliable 12v air compressor?

Cricket Cricket..........

And letting my daughter race the Lotus too..........Any advice at all..............

Thanks.........Bobby...........

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
With the shorter runs of a autox it may take a few to get the tires up to temp (and if it’s large run group with lots of time between run may not really happen). R888 have softer sidewall then the 048. Suggestion would be to start out around 26(f), 29(r), cold then check and adjust after each run, shooting for the cold pressures or trying it 1-2 psi higher.

The other thing is in walking the course, should do it and get feedback from an experience driver. Main thing is to pick up on key cones that you can use to setup for turn in, being aware of what is coming up and keep looking as far ahead/being aware of what is coming up next and beyond that.

A properly set up course should allow for lots of run out in key points where one might spin and still not hit a curb, light post, etc. As long as that is the case for where you running, no reason to not let you daughter in on the fun.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Walk the course, Shout inside your head LOOK AHEAD as much as you can, try to get ride alongs, BS with the pros.

Concentrate on driving more than equipment. I think 26 29 is a reasonable pressure to start at as well.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Shout inside your head LOOK AHEAD as much as you can,
You can shout it out loud, if it helps. Not when you have an instructor riding, though; you want to hear what (s)he is saying.

On the compressor, I just picked up the 45-buck unit that Pep Boys had on sale for 25 bucks. A good gauge is more important than the compressor.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
And letting my daughter race the Lotus too..........Any advice at all..............
Depends on the course and her experience. I see you are in lower Alabama. Im not aware of an sites with good size lots. The smaller the lot the closer the course is to obstacles, usually.

I don't let my step daughter autocross the Elise and we have large lots in atlanta and she has autocross experience.

If this is her first time autocrossing, the Elise isn't really the ideal car. It is very easy to spin. Do you have another car she could start with? Even the family sedan would be better.

I've personally seen a father/daughter autocross weekend end with tears and a miata slamed into a wall.

Your car. Your call.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My call is we autocross! The Wiregrass chapter uses one of the Army stage fields for Ft. Rucker. Its basically an airfield with 5 to 6 short lanes and a parking area in between. Only buildings are a Fire House and the Tower. Not much to hit, all lanes connected.

You only live once in this world, helicopters and women haven't killed me yet. A chance to spend the weekend racing with my daughter whom is not a novice to SCCA and from what we hear we are the only SSP entrants, my parents cheering us on, need I say more!

Tears are for fallen comrades, insurance is for wrecked cars, overtime is for working to get to your next dream parked in the driveway. I just turned 47, only so many weekends left on this planet. Lets live!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Look Ahead" got it! Should be like flying low level at 160 knots, very little time to react.

Driving, driving, driving............Should be just like flying, you don't learn it overnight. You can drive to the store fine, but you cant learn to drive well in just a couple years. The more we drive, the more we learn.................

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
"Look Ahead" got it! Should be like flying low level at 160 knots, very little time to react.

Driving, driving, driving............Should be just like flying, you don't learn it overnight. You can drive to the store fine, but you cant learn to drive well in just a couple years. The more we drive, the more we learn.................
Yeah but you do not learn a helicopter by flying it to the store. They usually have teaches and a lot of theory.

I would not get the compressor, and just run whatever was mentioned above (the 26-28), those tires will never get warm in a small AC.
Or run <24 cold like I do and just be happy with a bit more wriggle.
Whatever you do, I would not futz over them and change them. Just concentrate on the course, and having fun.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Number 1 advice, apply the brakes before the turn. Heavy brakes while turning equals spin. If your car is normally aspirated you should either be full brakes or full gas for at least 70 percent of the course. When looking at the course ahead, include looking out the side windows, not just the windshield. Take the slow parts slower and the fast parts faster. And before the autocross, watch dozens of autocross videos on Youtube. When you can "read the cones" on the video, and predict which way the car in the video is going to turn next, watch another dozen. My second autocross I came to a complete stop on the course because I couldn't figure out which way to go next. Reading the cones is an important skill.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holmz / adder ,

Thanks............Good advice. Have the Ipad at work tonight!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Number 1 advice, apply the brakes before the turn. Heavy brakes while turning equals spin. If your car is normally aspirated you should either be full brakes or full gas for at least 70 percent of the course. When looking at the course ahead, include looking out the side windows, not just the windshield. Take the slow parts slower and the fast parts faster. And before the autocross, watch dozens of autocross videos on Youtube. When you can "read the cones" on the video, and predict which way the car in the video is going to turn next, watch another dozen. My second autocross I came to a complete stop on the course because I couldn't figure out which way to go next. Reading the cones is an important skill.
This is good info.

I'm going tomorrow for my first auto x. I've only been to road courses before. I've always felt like the toughest part would be to see which way to go next with these little cones pointing the way.

Guess I'll have to hit up some YouTube tonight first, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
This is good info.

I'm going tomorrow for my first auto x. I've only been to road courses before. I've always felt like the toughest part would be to see which way to go next with these little cones pointing the way.

Guess I'll have to hit up some YouTube tonight first, lol.
Walk the course a lot. Grab an instructor for a walk or two if you can.

Also, check out whether you have to sit down or kneel to get your eyes the same distance from the pavement that they are when you are in the car. I needed to sit on the pavement when I had the Europa to get a preview of what critical points were going to look like.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that is good poop! Thanks phil....!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I've been autocrossing < year, still new to it and still trying to figure things out.

For my first few events I had an instructor run with me, very helpful. After that I tried some seat time without an instructor to try and figure things out on my own... big mistake. Even once you start to "get it" having someone who truly knows what they're doing is helpful. You'd be amazed how a subtle suggestion can improve your time.

I've tried a few approaches too and I can't decide what I like better:

I'll either:

Go balls out on the first run and back off slightly from there. Usually spin the car on the first run, slide around a lot on the second, and get close to ideal on the third.

Or Pussyfoot on the first run, add a bit more each run and get faster each time.

I've found I'm usually faster if I start out by going balls out and take away in the trouble spots. Don't be afraid to dnf or spin or plow into some cones your first run or two, that means you're pushing the car!!!

I've had a few pros drive my car... and I can tell you the car is 3-5 seconds faster with a pro behind the wheel. Improve the driver before you spend money on the car. If you HAVE to spend money, grab a traqmate or some other data acquisition and visualize where you are slow.

Adjust your tire pressures after each run. If you are running street tires, spray them down with water between runs (especially the rears!)

And more important that ANYTHING else: have fun and make friends.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Obviously I'm way late to this thread, but this is an interesting comparison... how did it turn out? I'm guessing AutoX requires more actual reacting whereas flying low is (I'm guessing) more a matter of vigilance and occasional reacting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts