The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it looks like the little mini headphone cable included in the box is the Aux In (for my DellPod MP3) cable, right? It has two bare harness clipin wires on the other end. Where do they go? Its not in any of the documentation I have. Do they need to be inserted into an existing harness on the back of the radio? If so, which one? Do they use one of the extra harnesses included in the box?

Also, how does the microphone based EQ work?

Sorry for all the questions, but the manual isn't all that great. Perhaps I'm missing an installation guide? Did anyone else get one?

Thanks for any help!

-Dave

'05 Lotus Elise, BRP/Black, Hardtop, Touring
THANKS AUTOSTRADA!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, thats not it, but there is a similar (but not identical) cable included. It has the RCA outs (2 front, 2 rear, 1 sub) in a wiring harness. But it does not have a mini-headphone jack for an MP3 Aux inpuit. It also did not look like there were empty pin sockets to use the aux cable.

The cable I'm speaking of is a simple mini-headphone plug on one end and two wires on the other. The wires on the other end have clips on them and look as though they need to be inserted into a wiring harness of some sort.

Has anyone done this? I'm sure I can figure it out but I'm sure its in the installation guide somewhere. Only question is where to find one.

EDIT: I just found the installation instructions at the back of the PDF file linked in the sticky above. Odd, my manual doesn't have that at all.

-Dave
05 Lotus Elise, BRP
THANKS AUTOSTRADA!

·
Registered
653 Posts
The wire that you have described is used to attach the microphone to the unit. Go to the back page of your manual and you will see a diagram of the back of the radio and all of the connections. The connector that you use for the microphone also has an aux input.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I figured it out.

Yes, the little headphone jack item that comes in the box is only used for the automatic equalization feature. You plug in the microphone, set it at the primary listening position or the center of the car, and have it calibrate all the EQ settings. That jack is mono only and inserts into the empty yellow harness clip.

Now, for an Aux In ability, you'll need to order a different cable from Blaupunkt. There are two Aux In possibilities, but one is the CD Changer input also so if you already have a changer that eliminates the use of that as an Aux In.

I'm going to call and order the cable from Blaupunkt. BTW, this looks to be a different cable than the one linked above, seeing as the pre-out cable does not have any blank pins to be used for a Aux in on this model receiver.

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just talked to Continental Imports and ordered this cable:

http://www.continentalimports.com/f00e500023.html

They confirmed it will work as the 2nd Aux In on the LA MP72 head unit. It has the mini headphone plug on the end, but if you want 2 RCA's instead they have a different cable.

I'll wire the jack down to the aluminum tray on the right side of the steering column. Its just wide enough to hold my Dell DJ MP3 in there securely and I'll have the << >> buttons within easy reach by feel.

Hope that helps someone! Now to replace the speakers and build a very small 6.5" sub.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, touring, hardtop)
'00 911 C2
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 M3

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here are my tentative plans. Keep in mind I'm not an Audiophile (any more at least). I used to own an IASCA regional champion car back in the early 90s but have since decided it just ain't worth the efforts.

Anyways, the head unit is a very decent model. When hooked up to decent speakers it will sound good. The elise, being mostly metal and fiberglass, is never going to be a good audio chamber anyways.

So, I plan to upgrade the existing speakers with better speakers of the same size, baffle them (with foam baffles), and cap them off so that they don't try to reproduce and low hz.

Then, I plan to get this 6.5 sub:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832

And build a small ported enclosure out of 6" diameter PVC tubing. Similar to a bazooka. Another option is to just get a 6.5" powered bazooka also. Anyways, a small tube of maybe 7-10" long, ported properly and crossed over, should add all the deep end I need. I don't listen to any rap/dance or anything that really needs it, mostly rock/blues.

As for power, I'll probably get a cheap and small 25wx2 bridgeable amp somewhere for <$50 and power it off the battery, assuming I can find a way to get the wire through the bulkhead and can find a ground (aluminum is not a good ground).

Now, if I can't get the power cable from the engine bay to the interior I might be hosed. We'll see.

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I finished running the Aux In cable. Took me all of about 15 minutes.

Heres the steps:

1. Order cable from link above.

2. Use Blaupunkt head unit removal keys to pull out the radio

3. Fish extra slack out from behind the dash and disconnect the main harnesss and antenna (otherwise you have no place to rest the radio).

4. Over on the panel with the start button, use screwdriver to undo the two hidden screws in the back of the cubby hole. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry it out at the two slots on the top of the panel.

5. Start button panel should fall out, and you should be able to pull out enough extra cable to set it on the doorsill.

6. If you have small hands, you can put one hand in the radio opening and one hand in the start button panel opening and meet right behind the gauge pack.

7. Fish the mini-headphone plug end through by using both hands, one in each opening. Alternatively, you could use a bent coat hanger.

8. Now, if you the cable to exit where I have it (on the curved aluminum tray, to the left of the steering wheel), press gently on the access panel that faces the steering column. Press from within the start button panel opening. It will pop out.

9. Route the cable to the back of that opening and reinstall the panel. It has enough of a gap to allow the cord to pass through (but not enough to insert the headphone jack through). You could just as easily have it exit in the cubby hole below the start/light buttons.

10. Reinstall radio and start button panel and you're done.

As for the subwoofer, if I stick with a 6" woofer mounted in a ~6" PVC tube, and the PVC toob is not more than 10" long, it will fit on the parcel shelf behind the passenger seat.

-Dave

'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, touring, hardtop) Thanks Autostrada!
'00 Porsche 996 C2 aero
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 BMW M3 (for sale)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Thanks Dave! This will be one of the first mods I make when I get my Elise. I have a car plug for my iPod with a line out, but that requires using the cigarette lighter plug. I think that I will just run off the battery when I'm in the Elise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
delliott00 said:
I just talked to Continental Imports and ordered this cable:

http://www.continentalimports.com/f00e500023.html

They confirmed it will work as the 2nd Aux In on the LA MP72 head unit. It has the mini headphone plug on the end, but if you want 2 RCA's instead they have a different cable.

I'll wire the jack down to the aluminum tray on the right side of the steering column. Its just wide enough to hold my Dell DJ MP3 in there securely and I'll have the << >> buttons within easy reach by feel.

Hope that helps someone! Now to replace the speakers and build a very small 6.5" sub.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, touring, hardtop)
'00 911 C2
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 M3

Just to update this thread. I ordered this cable from Continental Imports, online, price displayed was $18.95, indicated with a checkbox the 'ship to company' box for UPS. There isn't any shipping charges to display, calculate, or confirm...just confirmation of $18.95 for the part.

Received Order/Visa EMail confirmation with total of $34.07 :no: . No breakdown of charges. So, I called the company to ask for a breakdown of the charges, they were as follows:

Part number 7-607-001-504 $20.95
Labor $ 6.00
UPS Ground $ 7.12
TOTAL $34.07

I checked their web site and they changed the price to $20.95, obviously right after I placed the order. Was also told that I should have called regarding what the cost would be for S&H if I wanted to know prior to shipping. 1lb package, UPS ground from 32601 to 07728, $6.10...before any UPS discounts.

Continental Imports agreed to honor the $18.95 price and credit out $2 for shipping since they charged me as if sending to a "residence" instead of a "company".

Just giving a heads up regarding $34 for a $19 cable.

Appears that http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=752 also carries these cables...and you can "estimate" the shipping charges from their online shopping cart.

...now I have to go install it and see if it works.

·
Registered
486 Posts
LSUFAN said:
FYI...http://www.midwestelectronics.com/blaupunkt-accessories-c-25.html

is cheaper and UPS ground was only about $9.00. In case anyone else wanted to do the same. Just ordered mine tonight. Check out the interface cable with charging capabilties...too bad it's back ordered ...
Good find. $1 cheaper from when I bought it, and $3 cheaper right now. And S&H is cheaper also.

http://www.midwestelectronics.com/blaupunkt-aux2-to-35mm-adaptor-p-146.html?osCsid=1937b85aa28348edc2efda4491ccedbc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts